Update 08 September, 2022

Hey David this is odd, I have not changed anything (as far as I am aware) worked last night and this morning it is giving me grief. Any idea why?

{"entity":"c6a52f..","state":1,"time":"1662754693881746996"}

josh@pc1:~/safe_network$ ./resources/scripts/statemap-preprocess.sh
Wrote statemap data to safe_states.out
Render the statemap SVG with

statemap --sortby=Idle -b 1662754693881746996 -e 1662798220389879217 -c 300000 safe_states.out > save.svg
josh@pc1:~/safe_network$ statemap --sortby=Idle -b 1662754693881746996 -e 1662798220389879217 -c 300000 safe_states.out > save.svg
statemap: could not ingest safe_states.out: unknown field `entity`, expected one of `start`, `title`, `host`, `entityKind`, `states` at line 1 column 9
5 Likes

Great update. Thanks, team!

I know that time is not a metric for the network itself but, in the sequence mapped above, do we have an estimate as to how much clock time had to pass to accomplish that much, and how close to viability for UX does that come?

9 Likes

This update as well as last weeks have been very good and promising. Thanks Maid team for all the great work.

On a rather different note I am worried about the potential for unrest and shortages in the UK that might affect the team over the coming year. Wondering @dirvine if you might be able to say anything at all about this potential concern in general. Are team members prepared for shortages and power outages? Maybe something to consider if it hasnā€™t been considered yet.

Hopefully things will keep moving forward smoothly, but ā€¦

3 Likes

You can extrapolate that as the horizontal is time.

We are pretty insulated and did a cross-the-board cost of living rise. Not enough we need to do more, but as a global team, we do well. Life is complex though regulations in the UK are unspecific, so there is always a concern. The last 2 weeks have had me another 100% on regulatory matters. That will just continue, but we keep the devs mostly clear of it. Not easy, but then nothing is these days.

17 Likes

Thanks. I figured that, but I have no idea how long that horizontal line is in terms of external, clock-metered time. I know it will shorten or lengthen with code optimizaitons, network conditions, etc. But Iā€™m wandering about an order of magnitude and whether (or under what conditions) it will be have a significant effect on usefulness. If weā€™re looking at microseconds itā€™s different than seconds or minutes, etc. Do we have a sense of that at this time?

7 Likes

Problem is that line 1 is missing on my safe_states.out

{"start":[0,0],"states":{"Agreement":{"color":"#7fff00","value":7},"AntiEntropy":{"color":"#1e90ff","value":11},"BackPressure":{"color":"#ff0000","value":4},"Comms":{"color":"#808000","value":2},"Dkg":{"color":"#ffa500","value":6},"Dysfunction":{"color":"#000080","value":3},"Handover":{"color":"#0000ff","value":9},"Idle":{"color":"#f9f9f9","value":0},"Join":{"color":"#dda0dd","value":13},"Membership":{"color":"#e9967a","value":8},"Node":{"color":"#98fb98","value":15},"Propose":{"color":"#ff1493","value":14},"Relocate":{"color":"#ffff54","value":12},"Replication":{"color":"#ff00ff","value":10},"ServiceMsg":{"color":"#00ced1","value":5},"Validation":{"color":"#7f0000","value":1}},"title":"The Various States of Safe Network"}

If I manually add it the svg generates. Donā€™t know how trustworthy the output is though.

6 Likes

The generated statemaps, are interactive SVGā€™s and let you zoom in or out to whatever level of detail you care for. The screenshots above are zoomed in quite a lot, I donā€™t have the original files so I canā€™t tell you the exact time span.

Hereā€™s an sample statemap if youā€™re curious to play with it yourself, open it in a browser to get the interactivity:

Ah nice, you figured it out.

The outputs should be reliable as long as you didnā€™t change the state values in the safe network itself.

The script assumes you have a node named genesis and looks for itā€™s logs to extract the metadata, but we could just as easily querried all node logs for a metadata entry and just take the first result. Iā€™ll make that change.

10 Likes