Understand if-how Parsec solves this problem, please explain/describe Parsec

Hi all, Pierre said he’ll respond to the previous question as-when time allows.

Meanwhile I’ll pass one lift one particular Parsec usecase:

@pierrechevalier83 @anon86652309 @AndreasF and others, could you explain how you set up Parsec to do global order (“serialization”) only?

In other words, voters Alice Bob Carol Dave Eric will at their own discretion add events (for simplicity, a string or a binary blob) to the DAG. Parsec is used only to provide a globally agreed on order of these events.

So basically,

var parsec = new ParsecWithTheGuys(); // All of A B C D E run this, it sets them up.

myGossipEvent = { message: “BINARY BLOB HERE” };
parsec.post(myGossipEvent); // Blocks until Parsec produced a global order

println(myGossipEvent.globalorder); // Will tell at what position in the global order Parsec is. This is such that a supermajority of A B C D E will in this moment agree that this is the one and final global order number of myGossipEvent. Those who don’t agree only don’t agree YET and do so because they lag or are byzantine.

println(parsec.allFinalizedEvents); // Will print out all events that this node knows of as being finalized, with both global order number and content. This also will be produced the same by all of A B C D E, except for if someone is lagging behind in which case this myGossipEvent’s number height will not be reached anyhow

Would you say that this is the primary use of Parsec, or one use of Parsec?

If it’s one use of Parsec, then is this a central or peripheral/unimportant use?

Thanks for your clarifications :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Lots of this topic should probably end up in documentation.

4 Likes

Hi Loziniak, right, this is also why I ask these questions here publicly, that hopefully they function as a kind of brainstorm-checklist for anyone who will write Parsec documentation later. Ok I hope @pierrechevalier83 @anon86652309 @AndreasF can have the time to inform what about the last point, soon. As Pierre and others point out, the realities of “consensus science” are a bit different from what they may seem from outside, this is also why I pass some common sense questions like this, even if I may have a maybe-educated-guess already in a given question, having these suppositions confirmed by the experts here is invaluable, even just for such a basic objective as understanding what Parsec is and what problems it’s great at solving. :+1:

2 Likes

As long as they aren’t taken off their Dev jobs, I don’t have any issues, so it doesn’t detract from the release schedule. Perhaps during their toilet break

1 Like

@pierrechevalier83 and @AndreasF no longer work for Maidsafe, so no worries about distracting them :joy: [kidding]. It is a credit to Pierre that he has been answering at all after starting a new job!

10 Likes

Fraser is also off this month. He is finishing some holidays and will still be around, but will not be working as part of the maidsafe team. Well officially anyway, we will potentially see him and others later on in the game. He still has his seat in the office though and still has work to do with the foundation.

8 Likes

Why was this not mentioned in the update? I think its important to communicate if empoyees are leaving…

Why is there a requirement to announce ALL holidays by people?

Who is leaving?

@anon86652309 apparently if you read above post from David. No requirement to mention all holidays but if one of the core devs are off for a month , then it would be nice to know right? maybe you dont need to know but others might care more.

Wait until we are at 200 or so then we will have leavers every week almost. Fraser’s a quiet guy and does not need the publicity. He is sticking around and was a friend before joining and after (we worked the lifeboat together) , but he is entitled to try new things. He will and I wish him luck.

7 Likes

Yes maybe bad wording as if could have been taken as off on holidays for this month

So I gather it should have been read by me as leaving after this month

3 Likes

Sorry, @neo Fraser has resigned, I should have been clear. He will be around and possibly at the next devcon. He has a chance at a new thing just now though and has chosen to make the change. So he has resigned from maidsafe but not from the community and the project. Like the other guys, he still wants us to succeed.

13 Likes

Always sad to hear people leave and @anon86652309 was such a nice guy and well nature and has been around for so long, like a part of the foundation of the project itself. See ya @anon86652309 and hope all goes well with you in your new venture

7 Likes

All good, I just struggle to understand why, Nick, Pierre, Fraser, Viv, and others would decide to resign if they are so close to making it to the history books with Maidsafe. Maybe we dont know the whole story. PS. is there any more news regarding staff leaving? Adam- madadam is not active in github for 2 weeks, also one of the core devs, also Bart is not active 1 week -I just hope there is no bad news regarding them also.

None of us do and I suppose it is personal to them. We do HR exit interviews but I have not sought to find out exactly why they left as I am way to busy and think it is personal.

Good grief man, he has a new child and wanted to actually go on holiday. Even that is way way too much personal info dude.

During the holiday season he went and took a holiday, I think some other staff members might actually do that as well. Really @anon94252342 with all your time on github, do a PR to help and not try and work out who is working. You know most of the routing team had almost zero commits for a year or so while they were working on consensus.

Since taking over as CTO as I had to, we implemented the project and planning etc. I have been very clear I wanted commitment and dedication but in return would provide direction, focus and motivation. That way we launch or at least do the best we can. So get the team happy and positive, that works. Focus on the dark side will turn you man.

15 Likes

I just want answers, really happy that all is good and other devs are staying, and they take some time off, and will get back fresh to finish all the pieces left.

1 Like

I want a holiday and launch, but have done for 13 years, so maybe one day we will both get what we want.

Your approach man is like meeting an instead of “hello”, you say “I hope you don’t have a terminal illness” .

It is not the question that matters so much as the context and delivery chap. You are completely negative in your delivery and I am trying to work with a motivated happy team. I hope you understand but you will create the monster you hope does not live under the bed.

11 Likes

Just think of the savings in salaries. No need to worry so much about funding to launch

2 Likes

Sometimes maidsafe guys are too indulgent of repeated negative questioning from @anon94252342

Can’t be imagine how draining that must be. Please @anon94252342 - how would you feel if your work performance was being continually judged and questioned by an outsider…

4 Likes

Some of the community members are investors, which made this project development possible in the first place. Its fair to ask about the timelines, staff, holidays etc. Some might care more than others, some might show their impatience more than others, some might ask more than others, and sometimes unconfy questions. it doesnt mean that thet dont care or want to harm the development. We all believe in this project, in the people behind it. We all want it to be as transparent as possible, last couple of months we saw many people leaving, investors do notice this and it is worrying. No one outside the organisation know if there is some second bottom for all those changes, its always better to ask, you wont get lost as long as you ask…

1 Like