Ultimate Safe Network H8terz Thread: Doomers vs. Sycoph-Ants

The enormity of the project, having to let people go to reduce costs, no stable test net, 10 years in the making and still nothing to show for it, that is why I say it’s not looking good.

2 Likes

This was never hidden, so no reason to have any resentment against anyone but yourself there.

Project has taken longer than anyone expected, but they never were sure of how long it would take. There were mistakes too - but that is par for the course with any big project. Also, being one of the first ICO’s they only took in a fraction of the $$ that later ones did … the fact they’ve been able to go so far for so little it really a testament to their frugality and drive to reach the finish line - again I see no reason for anyone to complain on your point as everyone knew it would take a long time - so if you didn’t want to hodl indefinitely, then IMO, you should have held other tokens and just kept your eye on this one until it was close to beta (as it is now) and then bought into it.

A stable test net for this project has to have all the components working together (again known since the outset) … so we can’t have a stable testnet until beta … so, IMO this isn’t really a good argument against.

Not that it’s a strong comparison, but the existing Internet took vastly more capital and people and around 30 years to reach it’s current state.

Not true at all. They have one of the most active repo’s in crypto, lots of great quality code, and a long history of past code as they’ve iterated along toward their goals.

Nobody is saying that they haven’t made mistakes. But this is an enourmous and complicated project and that fact has never been hidden. I recall Vitalik Buterin, founder of Ethereum, saying at an early stage (years ago now) that this project was impossible … IMO, the team here is soon to prove him wrong.

5 Likes

I think you are putting words in my mouth. I don’t resent the people behind this project. Plus, indeed, I make my own decisions, I never said otherwise.
When I say there is nothing to show for it, I stand by it, there is nothing that can be demonstrated. I shall reiterate that I am airing my disillusionment, not resenting anyone.
You are more hopeful than I am, I hope that I am wrong.

2 Likes

I was there early during last testnet and I can tell you I tasted the real Safe Network. It just lasted a few hours though… Too bad ! :laughing: I downloaded a 50mb file uploaded by someone from the forum with full internet speed (or at least that was my impression…) No really it was fast.

Now don’t you believe they can make it last … 2, 3 days ? Then … 2/3 weeks ? Then… then hopefully forever (as long as humanly possible).

Nobody knows. Except David and the team I hope. :wink:

10 Likes

Just leave. You don’t like the project. Fine. No need to go on about it.

3 Likes

Only in the last few weeks we have demonstrated the DBC mint and transfers, plenty before that. So saying nothing to demonstrate is certainly wrong. Right now you can download the DBC proof of concept and even set up a network of trusted nodes and run something that would outperform hashgraph for instance (permissioned network). That’s hardly nothing and only one example.

You could also check the AT2 work or the qp2p examples, routing test network, Safe test network locally with no payments or your own network and much more. So it’s only not there if you don’t look, other than that there is plenty to see.

I agree most won’t see anything till it’s all done and that is cool, but saying there is nothing to see is really not true.

34 Likes

If you cant see code, you cant see any opensource project. Only can see a piece of shape.

2 Likes

Scam is an interesting thing.
You can’t know for sure what project owners really thinking.
So you can look instead on promises and compare them with what was acually done.
Without looking at GitHub, people see that nothing has been done.
That is where scam conclusion may come.
Only working (at least somehow) product can dispel this feelings.

3 Likes

I agree mostly, however, this forum is good as a validation as well as the time taken with the resources we have, it’s clear they are all spent on salaries that are not as high as other projects and with no other beneficiaries the scammer has to be a project member and they are all working. So the scam needs to find who the scammer would be, i.e. who would benefit and that is unlikely any of the team who are working for less than the market rate in most cases, if not all.

As there is nothing but a legal entity with audited accounts etc. involved then the possibility of pulling of a scam are much slimmer than a project with no real names or legal recourse to sue, never mind the authorities fully aware of the companies board etc.

All in all this would be the worst possible scam in the whole crypto space

• no beneficiary
  • Fully audited real people
  • Carried out over many years with very little fundraising
  • Little or no marketing
  • No push for exchanges to list the project for $$$$

and much more, but you are right, no product == possible vapourware, albeit that the project is very transparent with a little tiny bit of investigating.

15 Likes

Many/most people follow the herd with most things, including investing. Safe Network is a project that doesn’t look like other projects overall. Maidsafe is a team that doesn’t act like other projects overall … so those that follow instead of thinking about it for themselves, will see that there is something different, but not understanding those differences, will then assume there is something wrong - hence scam.

Too bad for them I guess as returns on this project have already been great for me and we aren’t even at launch yet where 100x from here is easy and 1000-10000x is in the realm of possibility down the long track. And that’s just the $$ … the real great aspect of Safe Network is what it brings to the table for humanity. I’m ecstatic that I got to help out with that at least a tiny bit by throwing some money at it.

10 Likes

People that are grumpy because we don’t have a Network yet are missing the entire point.
:racehorse:

The point is, we need to follow honest organizations with integrity transparency and accountability because these are disappearing from our society. :racehorse:

I know David is going to get the Network out or die trying. That’s all I can ask. :racehorse:

If this Network doesn’t get completed by somebody then complete censorship will appear and we are all doomed. So I know Maidsafe has the right goal. :racehorse:

14 Likes

I expect that with more censorship appearing, more people will create tools to fight it.
It is better to have tools right now, but having them slightly later is fine too.
Also I think that it is not possible (maybe, mathematically and physically) to censor 100% of information flow - there always will be leaks.
Transparency is important, but not on its own - people select tools by evaluating multiple properties.

2 Likes