UK Gov Report: Distributed Ledger Technology: beyond block chain

This report is very positive about and makes strong recommendations for the UK government to embrace and develop decentralised cryptographic technology (“distributed ledgers”) for a wide range of services.

While I think they may have focused only on blockchain technology, this could be an enormous opportunity for SAFEnetwork and MaidSafe. I’ve only read the first few pages, but it seems like government may be about to start considering decentralisation technology for a range of things, because of its superior qualities over centralised IT infrastructure, databases etc. The executive summary talks of things like citizen control of their health data, preventing abuse by insiders, protection from cyber attacks etc.

It won’t sit well with this government’s stance on surveillance and encryption, but maybe this will help industry and people to put pressure on them to make the right choice here. Yes, I’m an optimist :slightly_smiling:, but surely we all are here or we wouldn’t be following MaidSafe’s progress so closely!

New report by the UK Government Chief Scientific Adviser: Distributed Ledger Technology: beyond block chain Link to PDF

6 Likes

You’ve got to be an optimist: The alternative leaves everybody with poorer outcomes.

1 Like