Twitter multiple high ranking accounts hacked. We need decentralized apps!

Just a few, even Obama apparently got hacked.

5 Likes

Twitter had a serious security breach here, it seems.
7 Likes
3 Likes

The list is incredible.

6 Likes

The blue checked, verified Twitter accounts were all blocked (for security I guess) for a while due to this hack.
This gives funny tweets like the one below, if you search for ‘unverified twitter’:

Edit: article from Vice Twitter Is Removing Images of Internal Tool Sources Say Enables Account Takeover -> A Twitter ‘admin account’ was probably hacked.

5 Likes

Cue the haters,
Cryptocurrency = con artists and criminals.

3 Likes

We all know whose :happyant: is behind this!

2 Likes

Twitter security tips.

1. Delete your phone number (Kills simswap attacks.)
  2. Delete all API accesses. (Obvious.)
  3. Use app based 2fa. (SMS 2fa is worse than no 2fa.)
  4. Lock down the device you use.
4 Likes

Nice tips thank you!

4 Likes

Hold on…

I thought it was Delete facebook, lawyer up, hit the gym…

Have I been lied to?

5 Likes

They did not get access to their accounts but get into twitter system

5 Likes

Twitter has been failing like a big org over the last year. I wonder they gamed/fixed/fudged their system to prefer account which are profit making and lost sight of what made twitter tick. The small accounts interaction seems off and the whole experience is duller… or am I just getting jaded… still seems like changes are fixes for something not broke. Too much control the conversation going on too.

Good social systems are centered on individuals not corporations… there’s always gravity but there needs to be churn too. :thinking:

2 Likes

Going mainstream news:

Dmitri Alperovitch, who co-founded cyber-security company CrowdStrike, told Reuters news agency: “This appears to be the worst hack of a major social media platform yet.”

It’s suggested as social engineering but still all good for encouraging people to appreciate that getting the raw basics right is so important…

4 Likes

That this breach was possible should be the news here, not what the hacker(s) did with it. Some think for example that these Bitcoin messages were a cheap way to burn this hack method for others in the future. And that the breach was used for more ambitious, discrete things before ‘the burn’.

8 Likes