Trezor: support for OMNI and MAID

Yes I do agree, secure and easy to use coin custody would be a big benefit.

This would be a distraction from developing our own SAFE wallets and work on the Network, and also we don’t have a strong knowledge of Omni so I would say this isn’t the best use of our time. It could be one for the CEP if Omni’s reasons for not providing wallet support is lack of funds.

I never was, but was involved in quite a few meetings with their board at that time, but things seemed to break apart when the price collapsed and other protocols superceded Omni.

2 Likes

There is also the possibility that Trezor adds support for the Omni protocol directly in their beta wallet as they have done the same for lesser known crypto currencies. A decent possibility as there is a bit of an arms race between Ledger and Trezor hardware wallet in the SE/Asia region to support USDT omni protocol version due to it being heavily used by most exchanges there.
This would be ideal IMO and even easier to use than Omni Wallet, so I sent them a query/encouragement for adding direct support.

6 Likes

I just wanted to have my coins in one place where i have total control.

But to be fair, there isnt anything much safer than creating a bitcoin address offline and sending your MAID to that address. You can check your balance on omniexplorer.info.

Just make sure your dog doesn’t eat your private key print-out.

3 Likes

Others here have done the same.
The solution is to extract the pvt key from the trezor and then use the bip conversion tool to make the pvt key into the right format.

Edit : i could be wrong, ive just woke, and do not have a clear head today.
I think that is the problem others had but could be wrong.

You cannot extract the private from trezor, or from any hardware wallet. You could regenerate it from the seed in a software wallet, but don’t do that because you would lose the benefit of a hardware wallet.

2 Likes

So is Omni supported by trezor yet?

Trezor support · Issue #1694 · OmniLayer/omniwallet · GitHub (or in short - no)

to be more precise - omni is supported by trezor since december last year - but omni didn’t integrate it yet

8 Likes

Maybe this holds some promise:

1 Like

Someone’s done a proof of concept / simple Omni transaction service for Trezor, because Omni apparently can’t be bothered to do it themselves:

I can’t vouch for it, so be careful before making use of it or trusting it for large sums.

Hopefully this will give Omni a kick up the backside so they finally deliver what I’d have thought to be a very important feature.

11 Likes

This is starting to look promising again.

continued here

8 Likes

It looks like Trezor is finally supporting MAID, albeit through integration with another wallet.

https://www.omnitrezor.com/

21 Likes

Finally!!! This is fantastic news :smile:

9 Likes

What kind of audit does omnitrezor go through to be listed as a wallet supported by Trezor?

Thank God. Been waiting forever on this.

3 Likes

I heard they also recently added support for Shamir secret sharing. Nice new features.

1 Like

I’m always cautious regarding new wallets. The fact it’s called “OmniTrezor” could be misleading. Clearly this is not from Trezor so there is a risk to be considered.

The actual post from trezor’s site supports this news: Trezor Hardware Wallet (Official) | The original and most secure hardware wallet.

12 Likes

Okay - naïve question - since trezor is a hardware wallet and the private key never enters the (omni trezor) wallet … Shouldn’t it (in theory) not matter at all if someone trusts omnitrezor or not…? I mean… Hardware wallets are made for use in hostile environment where you can’t even trust the keyboard of your machine…?

2 Likes

I don’t know, but maybe the wallet could trick you into signing a different transaction from the one you provided.

2 Likes

well - it (the trezor) shows amount and recipient before you enter your pin on the device - for sure the wallet could try but if you don’t check the data on your trezor before hitting send it’s a bit [not the trezors fault] i guess …?

ps: … i didn’t try it myself yet … i just wanted to point out that at least in theory this discussion about trusting or not trusting omnitrezor is a bit pointless … either you trust the trezor or you shouldnt use it [no matter if you trust apps/computer/keyboards] … and the omniwallet app should for sure be looked at …but is just a vehicle to enable you tu use your trusted device … just a GUI

6 Likes