Trezor: support for OMNI and MAID

So is Omni supported by trezor yet?

https://github.com/OmniLayer/omniwallet/issues/1694 (or in short - no)

to be more precise - omni is supported by trezor since december last year - but omni didn’t integrate it yet

8 Likes

Maybe this holds some promise:

1 Like

Someone’s done a proof of concept / simple Omni transaction service for Trezor, because Omni apparently can’t be bothered to do it themselves:

I can’t vouch for it, so be careful before making use of it or trusting it for large sums.

Hopefully this will give Omni a kick up the backside so they finally deliver what I’d have thought to be a very important feature.

10 Likes

This is starting to look promising again.

continued here

8 Likes

It looks like Trezor is finally supporting MAID, albeit through integration with another wallet.

https://www.omnitrezor.com/

20 Likes

Finally!!! This is fantastic news :smile:

9 Likes

What kind of audit does omnitrezor go through to be listed as a wallet supported by Trezor?

Thank God. Been waiting forever on this.

3 Likes

I heard they also recently added support for Shamir secret sharing. Nice new features.

1 Like

I’m always cautious regarding new wallets. The fact it’s called “OmniTrezor” could be misleading. Clearly this is not from Trezor so there is a risk to be considered.

The actual post from trezor’s site supports this news: https://trezor.io/coins/

12 Likes

Okay - naïve question - since trezor is a hardware wallet and the private key never enters the (omni trezor) wallet … Shouldn’t it (in theory) not matter at all if someone trusts omnitrezor or not…? I mean… Hardware wallets are made for use in hostile environment where you can’t even trust the keyboard of your machine…?

2 Likes

I don’t know, but maybe the wallet could trick you into signing a different transaction from the one you provided.

2 Likes

well - it (the trezor) shows amount and recipient before you enter your pin on the device - for sure the wallet could try but if you don’t check the data on your trezor before hitting send it’s a bit [not the trezors fault] i guess …?

ps: … i didn’t try it myself yet … i just wanted to point out that at least in theory this discussion about trusting or not trusting omnitrezor is a bit pointless … either you trust the trezor or you shouldnt use it [no matter if you trust apps/computer/keyboards] … and the omniwallet app should for sure be looked at …but is just a vehicle to enable you tu use your trusted device … just a GUI

6 Likes

To expand on that, not only does the trezor show you the amount and address, the trezor is the device that signs the transaction. The website could show address 1234…7890 and amount 100btc, but as long as the trezor shows what you intended it to, the correct amount will be sent to the correct address.

As you said, the website is just a nicer interface with which to interact with the trezor. Much the same way the UI guys are making nicer ways to interact with the network while the guys comfortable with “the black box you type commands in” (cli) can already play.

4 Likes

Would we really still need a Trezor once the safenetwork and safecoin have become a reality?

Yes, I hope trezor can be used for key management of Safe Network wallets.

1 Like

Because currently we would access the SAFENetwork from devices that can be compromised, it would be very helpful to have a way of securing our keys and identities on a hardware device.

4 Likes

I did a cursory review of the code and it looks ok. It’s a pretty simple react app that leverages the trezor-connect library to connect to the device and sign a transaction. Note, I have not done an in-depth code review yet but rather spent 20 minutes scanning through the code base to understand what it does, how it works, and making sure there was no glaringly obvious issues.

I tested it to send MAID that was stored on a segwit address on a Trezor and it seems to work as advertised.

14 Likes