Translations for equal opportunities

I’ll do the Dutch translation later today. I’ll post it here so that Dutch people can suggest improvements.

2 Likes

I did the Dutch translation yesterday, only need a review from someone :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dutch subs are now live as well, with thanks to @Melvin for the translation and @nicklambert for adding them to YouTube because I’m too stubborn to make a YouTube account :grin:

7 Likes

I finished slovenian traslation. Any other videos?

2 Likes

Ah right! Haven’t thought about others :slight_smile:

Yes, I have a good idea of how translations could be managed :slight_smile:

It depends what you want to translate. Currently we have the following websites for documentation:

SAFE Network Wiki

The SAFE Network Wiki has barely been updated for more than a year. A lot of the content is outdated and I think we should have a discussion about whether we want to continue using MediaWiki. I personally prefer static websites, they are a lot of easier to maintain and I think it’s essential to have the ability to accept pull requests. That way, anyone can easily suggest improvements, and discussions about improvements happen in a very open and transparent way (e.g. in the comments of a pull request).

One of the reasons for switching from GitBook to MediaWiki was that GitBook wasn’t ideal for FAQs. But now they have a theme made specifically for FAQs, so I think it would make sense to create an FAQ site that would look something like this: https://help.gitbook.com.

Another reason was that MediaWiki has good support for translations. Previously we were trying to manage multiple GitBook translations using the same GitHub repo. I think a better strategy would be to have one GitHub repo per translation. There is not much advantage to having all the translations in one repo. I feel it would be much easier to manage the translation process if each group of translators focus on their own repos (that way each group can self-manage and doesn’t necessarily have to get its changes approved by the authors of the original English version).

I am currently testing this process with @nbaksalyar. He translated the first Dev Tutorial in Russian (ru.tutorials.safedev.org) using this GitHub repo.

So I wouldn’t recommend working on translating the wiki right now, since the content will likely change a lot and we might even decide to use another tool (e.g. GitBook). I’m currently busy with the Dev Tutorials and the API Docs, so I can’t really focus on the wiki right now. Once I’m less busy, I could write a proposal and present an example FAQ site :smiley:

Readme.io

Readme.io is currently used for user documentation (SAFE Launcher and SAFE Demo App). Previously it was also used to host the API Docs, but we recently rewrote them using GitBook. Readme.io makes it hard to have multiple users working on the same documentation compared to simply using a GitHub repo. I think it would be worth it to completely move away from readme.io at some point. We could host the user documentation using a static website. I have a few ideas related to how it could be organized and how translations could be managed, but it’s something I’m planning to work on later. I think it’s fine to continue using readme.io for the short term :slight_smile:

Dev Tutorials

The Dev Tutorials were built using GitBook and it’s easy for anyone to contribute by submitting a PR to this GitHub repo.

I can also create a new GitHub repo for each translation.

There is still a lot of work that could be done to improve the existing tutorials. I’m not sure it’s worth focussing on translating them just now. I think it would be worth waiting until all the tutorials have been released before considering translating them.

API Docs

The API Docs are also built using GitBook. See this GitHub repo.

We haven’t written the documentation for Launcher API v0.6 yet (I’ll start working on it soon, maybe next week). I think it would be preferable to wait at least until Launcher API v0.6 has been documented before considering translating the API Docs :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@nicklambert, casko submitted a translation, can you publish it?
@frabrunelle, do you have other videos you would like us to translate?

/edit woops, great timing :smiley:

Sounds good, very well thought-through. The faq you linked looks good imo, would be great though if we could fold down (bad english?) each question. We will probably have a lot to answer…
FAQs should probably be translated first or very early? We could plan to make this our first larger attempt on translations, and also make a thread here for suggestions. This thread might come in handy.

@MrAnderson also wanted to know if there might be bounties.

Now, go to bed or have a drink or something. You need to take care of yourselves :tulip:

2 Likes

@frabrunelle this is a valuable post, maybe worthy of a topic such as State of the Documentation / Plans for Translation.

3 Likes

Now published. Thanks for @rand_om for the heads up and of course @casko for the Slovenian translation!

1 Like

A lot of work to do, great! I can help with reviews, proofreading, transaltion to slovenian language.
Translation and pull requests are a must.
Translation of Wiki/FAQ has a priority imho, developers (Dev & API) are usually quite skillful in English, at least in my country.

4 Likes

Hi. I can do Italian translations.

2 Likes

Awesome, check this post:

I´ve translated the video into Swedish.

Just one question. I have translated “The SAFE Network” into the Swedish word for network, “SAFE-nätverket”. I am not certain if I should keep the name SAFE Network, or translate it (the abbreviation unchanged of course). I prefer to translate as many words as possible when it comes to technical vocabulary, even though the English vocabulary is often used by professionals.

What are your take on this?

3 Likes

I think it depends how you usually say network in swedish, I translated ‘network’ to ‘red’ for spanish. thus ‘red SAFE’.

I’d stick to network, after all, swedes speak the best english :smile:
j/k

I translated everything that didn’t sound stupid, so for instance I translated “providers” to “Anbieter”, but didn’t translate “cloud” - that would just be ridiculous in german. And I think I translated network, too.

I translated the video to French using Youtube. How long will the review take?

3 Likes

What do you mean? you cannot approve it, is that what you mean? if so, that’s done by @nicklambert.

Launcher has a discussion for internationalization which I’m currently working into a pull request. Would love to hear from anyone who has experience with electron and i18n.

1 Like

French translation just published. Many thanks @euggio!

5 Likes

Swedish translation also published, many thanks @Aster!

6 Likes