Transitioning an app to the safe network

“MaidSafe dev team managed to get the SAFE Network functioning from end to end.”
“The clients were also able to PUT (store) and GET (retrieve) data.”

Are there any instructions on how to get some safe network nodes setup in a local network?

Are there any instruction on how to PUT (store) and GET (retrieve) data from safe network nodes on a local network?

I have built a mobile app that I would like to transition to the safe network.

The app currently:

• The front end is a web app using javascript, html and css. This is built out to different mobile platforms using Cordova. cordova.apache.org

• The back end is composed of an API in node.js and a database in mongodb.

• The front end makes ajax GET and POST requests to the API to save and retrieve information from the mongodb database.

What I would like to do:

• Switch out the existing back end servers running the API and database and replace it with the safe network
  • Keep the front end web app being built to mobile platforms using Cordova
  • Be able to make ajax GET and POST request from the front end to the safe network to save data to and retrieve data from the safe nodes on a local network (and the real safe network when it is launched)
7 Likes

Hi, welcome to the forum! There was this thread where people got building stuff. I don’t know if the repo’s on GitHub can be build that way right now.

The routing library is undergoing an important rewriting. The external API and the internal outlines have been laid out. The library is currently not in a functional state. To obtain the last functional state of Routing we refer to Routing version 0.2.8, as published on crates.io. We expect it to be a few more days of work before routing will be published as version 0.3.1, the first expected functional version of the new routing API. The published version 0.3.0 should only be used by a user library to compile against, and prepare for the upcoming new interface.

Here’s the old forum topic. Started by one of the Devs:

A good route to this would be working with the http://safepress.io project. We’re still in the early stages, which means it won’t take you long to understand what we’re aiming for and where we are! Check out the above link, then the github repo including outline design, then get an invite from one of us to the Trello dashboard.

You have two routes:

1. Port everything to use the SAFE API directly (i.e rewrite in Rust or something and link to the API), or
  2. Continue with a web front end which talks to SAFE network with the help of a javascript framework (e.g the SafeApp framework we have in mind) and the MaidSafe SAFE browser plugin. The main work here will be figuring out how to change from your existing architecture to one which is now like a noBackend architecture. This is the core problem of the SAFEpress project. We have not solved it, yet :smile:, but several of us have begun working on different aspects of this, and you are welcome to listen in, take anything you find of value, and of course to chip in any ideas for how to do it! There’s over six of us involved to widely different extents, with two front end guys looking at that side. I’m looking at the bigger picture, and trying to figure out how to map to the SAFE API, including what features we’d like MaidSafe to include in the plugin. There are lots of things that need thinking about, and having someone with an existing App posing questions would help a lot at this stage I think so I hope you’ll find this of interest.
1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I think I will try to get some nodes up and running for doing some playing with when the 0.3.1 routing library is out or when the linux installer is available. [quote=“brian_s, post:1, topic:4718”]
work has continued on preparing the installers for the currently supported systems scheduled for release at end of the sprint
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

The safepress project sounds interesting.

Is there any documentation for the safe network API?

All the API documentation currently resides in the code, and can be “built” within a particular rust module using “cargo doc” (HTML output under “targets”). For the most part you’ll have to look in the code itself until MaidSafe create more readable tutorials etc.

Oh, and most modules have one or more examples that show the corresponding API usage.

your safepress link says it’s suspended. :confused:

I know, it’s a bit embarrassing since I own the hosting service. It got suspended because I didn’t pay my own invoice for £0.00! :smile:

Fixed now.

2 Likes