Top 8 Reasons to Invest in Maidsafe Shares

We don’t, The 1% fee was just for derivate works not using the APIs.[quote=“Username1, post:17, topic:11303”]
Do you want to check company bookkeeping?
[/quote]

Do you mean how would we know if someone was using our code not through the APIs and weren’t paying MaidSafe a license fee? If so this would of course be impossible to track and developers/companies would steal the code for sure, however, we always took the view that if they were going to steal someone’s code we wanted it to be ours. The reason being that as the companies grow into medium and large enterprises, their own compliance departments and diligence carried out by investors/stakeholders in these companies would highlight that they don’t have licenses in place. At this point they are likely to declare their use of the network.

6 Likes

Oh, is my point #1 in the OP not correct then? That was a huge point

I can change it

It works just as well as any other system that exists today does in those tax heaven countries!

You’re asking us to improve how the entire world’s legal system works, which is unrealistic in a super short time frame.

All MaidSafe is doing is utilising the current legal / business system to 100% at present

Also, at least 90% of the money in the tech sector (not to mention the world) is in the hands of a small group of companies, and yes those companies do in fact yes they do report their earnings.

MaidSafe never was a “squash the little guy” company anyway, but more of a “take down the big evil burdens on society” :slight_smile: wayyy more money in attacking them anyway

1 Like

Yes might be better as: ALL SAFE APPS THAT DO NOT USE THE SAFE APIs OR THE GPLv3 LICENSE MUST PAY MAIDSAFE 1% OF THEIR REVENUE ALWAYS.

Sorry for the caps, I just copied that from your OP.

3 Likes

I understand, that Maidsafe income will come from big companies, but what I want to tell is, that this licencing strategy is preventing small companies to licence. And even for Maidsafe, it is not worth all the paperwork for few $$ from small companies. Do you really want small companies to do so much paperwork just to charge them few bucks? If I look at my company, than for me calculating exact income for single app will take me lot of work, since there is mupltiple revenue streams and multiple apps in the company. Even calculating profit per app from IOS app sales is almost impossible, since their reports are not exact and they pay all the income from all apps together. Not talking about adsense income and many others hard to track exactly. And even, if I am able to calculate it exactly, will you believe my calculations? How will I prove it? By sending you 100 screnshots? Such bureaucracy can easily kill this nice project. Some flat or very simple licencing is required for small companies, if you want them to use safe network.

1 Like

Small companies will use GPLv3

You do understand the benefits of pushing the world to be open source, right?

1 Like

Ok thanks, just updated, let me know if this is good

1 Like

No, I don’t. And as I wrote earlier, I think GPL is a virus. And I am partial owner of a small company, and if we had to use GPL, than we would bancrupt already.

The point is you won’t be chased, but when you are larger and do need to audit licenses etc. then you will pay. It’s a similar model to MySQL, use unlicensed if you want, but please use ours unlicensed, we won’t chase you or make it hard to get/copy our code (the opposite actually).

TL;DR steal (if you want to call it that) our code please :slight_smile: Or go GPL and sell your cde under that license, or give your code for free, but if you want to charge for your code and make it proprietary then there is also a cost to you. So if you charge your customers and (arguably) take away some freedoms from them you have to pay.

I know that seems contentious, but I do not mean it that way, we do not make a business decision you are bad or evil by being proprietary, in fact we have no opinion from a business perspective. It’s your company and your choice and we are very happy with that.

Personally we may all have different opinions, but those are personal and you are talking in business terms which is cool, business has, taxes, charges and license fees and we are happy to operate within the traditional rules that such businesses are used to.

So probably a win all around. The issue only happens when a business wants folk to pay for their code, but they want their code donated freely to them. This is where OSS and Free software movements disagree and that is a huge debate we have taken a side on that allows (in our opinion) the best of both worlds, forced freedom for users or paid freedom for proprietary businesses.

8 Likes

Well I’m sure someone can explain then :slight_smile:

Don’t forget about factoring in SafeCoin rewards! If your app is popular at all you earn income automatically don’t forget

1 Like

Also remember that as hard as it would be for you to calculate, it would be impossible for MaidSafe to.

As @dirvine points out, “Steal our code, please.” When it comes to making a difference in compliance, balancing profit against potential liability, partnership/expertise options (don’t forget you may also want to use MaidSafe as a consultant or collaborate at some point) . . . When it comes to that point, MaidSafe, by not being buttheads, will have let the soil be fertilized and will pick the fruit off the big trees.

5 Likes

I think most small companies/app developers will use the APIs and therefore not be required to choose between the GPLV3/commercial license. Like I mentioned above, most will not declare it anyway until they are required to do so and that’s fine. [quote=“Username1, post:25, topic:11303”]
Such bureaucracy can easily kill this nice project. Some flat or very simple licencing is required for small companies, if you want them to use safe network.
[/quote]

I personally see the licensing as simple: use APIs and do what you like or integrate with the core libs direct and choose between GPLv3 or Commercial.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: so, basicly you want small business to steal your code if it is just for end product. I don’t think small companies will feel comfortable by this option. Not having comercial licence, and not publishing under GPLv3 licence, is not only breaking Maidsafe licence policy, but also GPLv3 policy. Also GPLv3 is restricted for IOS app store, so all apps have to have comercial licence. So if small business want to “steal code” as you allowed, they are risking ban form Apple. And nobody will risk that, since any user can report the app to Apple. I am sure there is many simmilar issues with “legaly stolen” software.

Yes, @Username1 the current global legal system is ugly and messy and backwards, but MaidSafe has made the best decisions and actions to make it so everyone has their freedom.

You (small app dev) v. MaidSafe will never be a legal battle :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like I said, it’s the best and only good setup that can be made in the current world systems.

Also don’t forget everything is 100% anonymous and encrypted many times over, so MaidSafe even protects you from themselves that way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then apple will have to stop preventing open source, or die out.

Very very good thing for the world

3 Likes

They may risk a lot Apple, local law etc. but that is not our problem, but we won’t add to that problem. If the app is paid for then it can pay a license or take the risks, but it cannot have it all ways. It’s just business really, not a worry, just business decisions and risk/reward balance, we all work in the same sphere in that respect.

Anyhow I hope many do use SAFE and grow because of it, we all win then.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s only 1%, and that won’t bankrupt anyone (especially with all the server etc costs it’s saving them)

2 Likes

Tto make it clear, 1% is not problem for small business, even 10% can be OK, but the problem is bureaucracy behind it. To charge 1% it can cost small comapany 10x more just because of bureaucracy behind it…

I dig that bureaucracy is a pain in the butt, but also consider that it would be relatively easy to bypass a lot of that by simply making an estimate, give or take, that would satisfy everyone on the small-scale end of things, while still maintaining your licensing options. I’m doubting that MaidSafe or anyone else would be all in your business on that score, or even be able to. It’d be a “best effort” sort of thing that is generally acceptable even in compliance circles, especially for a very edge-case sort of thing.

So, even if a small company or regulator wanted to be anal about it, it’s no nightmare that I can see.

3 Likes