Timestamps or not timestamps

To take the analogy of GPS location data in a photo, I should be able to store this in metadata, but I shouldn’t have to prove that the GPS data is accurate, if want to do this, then more complex metadata should also be stored.

So I believe that safe should allow the user to store claimed create/update datetimes on data, but others should treat this as a claim and not a fact.

2 Likes

Chiming in here for whats its worth.

SAFE can be considered the protocol layer with storage. Time is really a concept we place as part of the data we store. There is no protocol or network need for time.

Time servers on the internet could be implemented as APPs running on machines with a crypto proof of who they are. So then time for other APPs to store with their data can be derived. Complex maybe but can be done.

Technically time is a measure of change. First it was a measure of the change in the sun’s position and the earth’s position around it and more recently change in Atoms (vibrations)

So to implement time within the SAFE environment we first can realise SAFE itself doesn’t use time and time only complicates things for it. From that any need for time is above the network layer and makes it suitable for the application layer.

Then using time as a measure of change, we need a system that can provide this. Be it some sort of blockchain entry (costly) or we can get a consensuses of “time servers”, or some other measure. Personally I am against any blockchain solution since long term it is very likely whatever blockchain you choose it will end, and chains are very costly to use (unnecessary h/w, energy for this purpose)

1 Like