Things That Would Not Have Happened On Safe

5 Likes

24 posts were split to a new topic: Low carb high fat diet tips

2 Likes

I wonder to what degree apps will be sand-boxed on Safe Network. Anyone have any thoughts on that? If Safe Network software is itself sand-boxed then no problems … eg using cubes OS. But if not, then would Safe Network software allow an app to access info like IP address?

2 Likes

No idea. But this shit really infuriates me. How did we ever get into this mess? And more importantly, why don’t people care about it? And how to convince them that they should?

1 Like

I am reminded of this poem

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist.Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me , and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me

People are just like I don’t care about privacy cause I don’t do anything bad so whatever common in and have a look. That’s all fine until they decide that what you do is now illegal and it’s too late.

10 Likes

Apps could read this, but the important thing is making it obvious to the user when this info would be written to a location that could be read by the app developer. Users are supposed to remain in control of their data, so the permissions to write to some non-private location would need to be acknowledged.

2 Likes

Nothing prevents a developer to write an app that reads your IP or other fancy personal stuff, and leaks this in the wild, would it be in the safe network or in the clear web.

A couple years ago I had pointed out that if the safe browser allows to connect to clearnet http adresses, it is a breeze to write a safe site or webapp that picks your IP and Safe ID, and sends this yummy information to a casual clearnet server : https://forum.safedev.org/t/future-of-a-safe-browser-and-node-webapis/1086/43 ( the little safe site is now defunct since the last network restart wiped it out )

Indeed, but then remains the case where an app wants to write to clearnet. I don’t really see how you could prevent it to do so using Safe permissions mechanisms.

The Safe user will still have to be careful what app they install, and carefully grant these apps only the rights they really want to grant.
I think it will be very important that we have a mechanism of some sort to verify an app is really what it claims to be, too.

In the end I do think that in sensitive contexts, sandboxing will be a necessity.

3 Likes

But safe browser can prevent access to IP address and other private staff in safe browser. Web apps will be able to send only those data accessible by Javascript API. Of course, this does not apply to 3rd party browsers or other native custom apps.

6 Likes

@maidsafe it might be worth it to include this in the pitch of the SAFE Network also. When centralized cloud goes down, your apps go down, unless you got a mirror running on another cloud, but a mirror means extra costs…

:stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Only anecdotal, but I have the impression that the frequency of outages at these mega services is increasing: Facebook, Amazon, github and Google all seem to be losing uptime.

Every single one causes enormous pain for many businesses and mass dissatisfaction for everyone who is inconvenienced, which is also a great opportunity to draw people’s attention to SAFE Network and why it can almost eliminate this problem.

9 Likes
5 Likes

BBC says it is shocking that journalist are being treated this way. That they will stand by protecting journalists and their sources…

Hmmm… Where is the line drawn between the protection of these journalist and sources, and Julian Assange ?

2 Likes

There was also another journalist in Australia who was raided this past week … plus last day or so there’s been a push for demonetizing certain groups on youtube.

Attacks on freedom of speech appear to me to be accelerating … but perhaps randomness is just lumpy.

Assange is Australian so not the BBC’s concern. The Australian Government threw him to the wolves years ago. They introduced data retention (collection) and claimed journalists will have special protection of a search warrant before searching their journalists internet connect. And once data retention is in the first person who its used against is a journalist to find sources and jail the bugger (journalist)

We need SAFE immediately

Another one hey. No flies on our government.

This is advertising pressure and some government pressure, but mostly advertisers. SAFE tube will solve this and if PtP is introduced then expect safetube to go to the moon overneight

2 Likes
1 Like

French journalists were summoned and auditionned by the french secret services a few weeks ago, and were asked for their sources. It seems to be a trend…

3 Likes

FYI, I get a lot of interesting news from zerohedge.com … and while I wouldn’t say they are a ‘fake news’ site, there are definitely many stories that are exaggerated … so IMO, take it with a grain of salt.

1 Like

ASIO our spies had a law passed a couple years ago legitimising the spies breaking almost every law. Just sexual assult is still “illegal” for spies and oh destroying the financials of a person. Nothing about just making them have just enough to not be classed as poor

2 Likes