The SAFE Network Primer: An Introduction to the SAFE Network

Have just taken my first cursory read of the SAFE Network Primer. Thank you to the authors for making it a bit less intimidating for this old newcomer. A couple of comments/ questions that may or may not belong in this topic:

1. The link safe://safeprimer returns " No content found at requested address." in my SAFE browser .

2. I did not see in the document any reference to performance expectations. When I searched the larger forum, I found this topic Network Performance and Vault Profitability which gets at the question to a degree. I found the comparisons there to the BitTorrent numbers particularly interesting. I guess my naive question is, when using SAFENet with applications for email, social or real-time applications (e.g voice / video calling) will latency / response time and throughput be as good as or better than what is experienced today on the centralized network?

3. With the regard to anonymity, I am wondering what the mechanisms are to prevent bad actors from trolling, hate speech and criminal activity. I’ve come to this very much as an end-user looking for alternatives to the surveillance-capitalist approach in the mainstream internet but am not sure if the SAFE framework incorporates any kind of protection from malicious actors. Perhaps the kind of protection I am thinking about is not something that is done in the network level but is really one that is addressed at the application level, e.g. a chat or forum application would have the ability to implement what ever level of identity management and moderation methods that its developers deem necessary.

If these questions are way too basic for this forum/topic I would be happy to be redirected to a more appropriate forum or topic. In any case, I will continue to read and learn here in the forum. I’ve managed a couple of small steps on the client side - next up to explore vaults and farming?

4 Likes