The Safe Browser

The SAFE Browser is the Network’s dedicated web browser.

You can always get the latest version of the browser from our GitHub repo here:
download

Details

Alpha network access

It’s important to ensure you’ve registered your IP address in order to access the SAFE Network (Alpha-2). If you haven’t already then here’s how you do that:

• Log in to the Forum on your normal browser (you’ll need to have Basic Trust Level 1).
  • Visit https://invite.maidsafe.net.
  • Click on the SAFE Network logo.
  • Select ‘Alpha 2’.
  • Update your registered IP (if it doesn’t match the Current IP listed)
  • Copy and paste the invitation token into the Invitation field on the Authenticator.
    • this step is only required when creating an account to begin with.
31 Likes

Release: SAFE Browser v0.12.0

Live version - Alpha 2 network

Download the SAFE Browser for the live Alpha 2 network.

Linux (x64) MacOS (x64) Windows (x64)
download download download

Development version - Mock network

Download a development version of the SAFE Browser which uses a mock network to allow local development (without the need to pay PUT costs on a live SAFE Network).

Source Code

Get the source code for this version here:

21 Likes

As I’m on a Linux x32 platform I’m not given access to these trials. :frowning:

Release: SAFE Browser v0.13.0

So what’s changed?

We’re pretty happy with the way we’ve improved the Authentication notifications feature. Here’s what it looks like now…
BrowserAuth013

and how it was before…

Here’s a fuller list of the changes:

Bug Fixes

• auth-app: adds necessary keys to resolve error message (0261449)
  • blocking: Url blocking canGoBack check added. (afa7c77), closes #689
  • Fullscreen: Fixes fullscreening when triggering on a second browser window (90b954c)
  • icon: Upon clicking experimental icon, experimental mode is turned off (413d667)
  • Links: Opening a link will only open in focussed browser window now (fc6f90c)
  • Menu: Test menu now only shown during testcafe tests (5aabb1a)
  • ui: Adds antd spinner when waiting for webid’s are fetching (9803d41)
  • webId: Dropdown positioning fixed (a00a4ad)

Features

• Testing: Add testcafe for alternative e2e testing (6ef3bea)

Live version (v0.13.0) - Alpha 2 network

Download the SAFE Browser for the live Alpha 2 network.

Linux (x64) MacOS (x64) Windows (x64)
download download download

Development version (v0.13.0) - Mock network

Download a development version of the SAFE Browser which uses a mock network to allow local development (without the need to pay PUT costs on a live SAFE Network).

Source Code

Get the source code for version 0.13.0 here:

26 Likes

Strange, I can log into my account but when I try to load a page I get this error (linux 64 bit)

imagen

Edit: I’ve restarted the browser and now it works

2 Likes

Interesting. That means the browser app (separate to the authenticator) hadn’t managed to initialise (aka was probably still trying to reach a server).

Do you have any logs @digipl ? (normally at: $TMPDIR/safe-browser.log )

2 Likes

Only this

[2019-04-30 12:50:18.860] [error] Error in authFromStoreResponse
[2019-04-30 12:50:18.862] [error] Unexpected (probably a logic error): Could not connect to the SAFE Network
[2019-04-30 12:50:18.863] [error] authFromStoreResponse error >>>>>>>>>>>>>
[2019-04-30 12:50:31.184] [error] Blocked URL: https://invite.maidsafe.net/
[2019-04-30 12:51:15.105] [error] Auth decision error :: undefined
[2019-04-30 12:51:26.766] [error] SAFE Fetch error: 1001 Setup Incomplete. Connection not available yet.
[2019-04-30 12:51:53.777] [error] SAFE Fetch error: 1001 Setup Incomplete. Connection not available yet.
[2019-04-30 12:53:02.279] [error] SAFE Fetch error: 1001 Setup Incomplete. Connection not available yet.
[2019-04-30 12:53:22.918] [error] SAFE Fetch error: 1001 Setup Incomplete. Connection not available yet.
[2019-04-30 12:53:28.690] [error] SAFE Fetch error: 1001 Setup Incomplete. Connection not available yet.

Analyzing the timings, I think the first four warnings 12:50:18 to 12:50:31 are before changing the IP.
I changed my IP and login without problems.
The two Fetch error are two attempts to load a page after the login.
After the two error, and surprised by the message “Setup Incomplete. Connection not available yet.” I run the Web Hosting Manager to check if the connection worked. WHM was fine.
With the WHM open, I tried three different pages and all three show the error.
I closed both, the WHM and the Browser, restarted the Browser and everything worked properly.

2 Likes

Hmmm, okay this confirms some things thanks. We’ve seen a few, unreproducible incidents of connection troubles.

This seems like it’s more than ‘isolated’ though. Looks like I’ve got some digging to do!

Thanks @digipl

2 Likes

New browser looks good, feels solid. Great update everyone and special thanks for adding two features that will help put Solid on SAFE!

5 Likes

Woot ! That fixed the “app.webfetch is not a function” issue :slight_smile: Great work , thank you very much guys

4 Likes

Where do I find the ES version compatibility?
(not being entirely lazy… I did look)

1 Like

I get this when I try to connect to my local network with Appimage safe-browser-v0.17.0-alpha.11-linux-x64.AppImage

Which version should I be using?

Logged on fine by CLI and uploading files to my local vaults

1 Like

Browser / Safe Network app would need updated for latest vault builds etc

So these won’t work for you at the mo I’m afraid @Southside

3 Likes

can i have invite code for test SAFE Browser ?

@happybeing do you know? Is the browser compatible with ES6?

1 Like

You will have to wait until the browser is updated for use with the current tests, and the next test is started.

We’re very excited and impatient for this, but the devs are working on the network rather than the browser right now.

2 Likes

Yes it is. All the latest stuff works without any messing about, which is very nice.

3 Likes

Thanking you muchly!

2 Likes

10 minutes, breathing from life…
and wondering

what’s the plan for the SAFE browser?
with the switch to libp2p…etc etc
I suppose XOR needs to be fixed first?

message for bamboogarden fund hunters
developers
I wish I could…

5 Likes

I suspect Joshuef is best equipped for bringing that back to life if/once he can focus on it.

5 Likes