The SAFE Browser (with Authenticator)

Awesome summary - thanks.

1 Like

Has there been any indication of what the plans are for mobile?

2 Likes

The Java work is motivated by the need to get this on mobile, starting with Android, but also iPhone.

2 Likes

Is that the extent of what we know right now – the Java work? I expect that to work on mobile they need a Java and Swift lib over the Rust FFI.

Has there been any plans around what they intend to do after that? I guess what I looking for is whether there will eventually be a SAFE browser for Android/iOS, or whether the mobile libs for native mobile devs are all that is planned.

2 Likes

I can’t answer for @MaidSafe on that but to me it just doesn’t make sense to not have a browser on mobile.

So if you can decode my double negative :slight_smile: I’m pretty sure there will be!

2 Likes

Nope and dev update to the rescue for the answer (so far)

1 Like

Actually I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it mentioned they would be using https://cordova.apache.org/ to cross compile on multiple platforms :slight_smile: couldn’t find the link for where I had seen it though.

2 Likes

Kumar joined the team to work in the java safe_app library especially aimed at the android (and IOS) development.

A new team member (@Kumar) joined our team earlier this week. He will be working on the Java side. He has been setting up some samples using Maven for dependency management and also to figure out the best possible approaches for distributing the Java safe_app library.

2 Likes

Google found a number of bugs in the DOM of several big browsers. They released a tool to fuzz the DOM yourself:

The tool:

1 Like

I am very interested in decentralized networks. I downloaded SAFE Browser and noticed that it has built-in support for dat and ipfs. Are there any plans to incorporate ZeroNet, Scuttlebutt, Tor, and/or I2P? I know that I2P eep sites and Tor hidden services are not decentralized, but they have similar use cases to decentralized websites on the SAFE Network or ZeroNet.

Short answer - No

Long answer - to do so is to expose the users. Safe network is anonymous and to include others is to open users to be known

3 Likes

is the browser functional

yes it is, you should play with it and see the websites

when im using safe browser will it mine safe coins ?
if not what else will i need to do

Probably not. You need to run a Vault to mine Safecoin. In Alpha 4 we’ll see Vault from home again, where you can run one as a test. No Safecoin involved yet, so Farming isn’t possible then.

I put this together a few months back in order to answer some basic questions for people new to SAFE. Hope it helps.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m trying to download the SAFE browser. It’s asking me for an invitation token. How do I get one? Do I need one before I can download the browser? Btw, I like this site. I didn’t know this was here, really happy to be a member.

1 Like

Hello! Welcome to the forum. You need to be Trust Level 1 (Basic). Will take you an hour or two. This is to prevent people spamming the test networks.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the info. I’ll start by reading some posts. What a great site. Thanks again

2 Likes

hi, I’ve got a question about Safe Browser.
It cache the web pages? i tried to use it and It seemed to me that it did not.

thanks for the replies

3 Likes