The road to mass adoption - Ease of site creation = Widespread usage

good stuff . @Tonda

Here’s more support for your ideas but with opine on which will garner the greatest interest.

#1. Blog
#2. Storage
#3. eBay
#4. Youtube

Not a fan of dislike buttons - how about a NO-OPINION button? Or a ARE YOU SURE button?

1 Like

Sound reasonable. As for the buttons, the absence of an expression submission could be interpreted as NO-OPINION. The ARE YOU SURE is highly contextual (narrow use case). That doesn’t it wont be useful. Hell, we could create whole slew of buttons a user can choose from. :smile:

Please excuse my ignorance. Would a hyperlink to a blog on the SAFENETWORK that was tweeted outside of the SAFENETWORK to the masses be easily accessible? Or would it be too clunky?

Kinda. But how to qualify and quantify?

Great idea - not unlike the compacted share tools

I don’t see why we can’t just make the button. Everything goes! :relaxed:

1 Like

It’s both / and. Social systems thrive if there is content to share, so if there isn’t much to share, the gearing of social is inhibited, and equally, content without means to share will also not create as much growth as with social.

See the following topics for recent thoughts on what safe links might be, and what would happen when they are shared outside SAFEnetwork.

We can’t make links work for people who are not yet aware of the network, but we could make them send such people to a website that explains what the link is and how to access the content referred to by the link (see first topic below).

3 Likes

Perfect solution! … with a very well lubricated interface aka - KILLER APP-

2 Likes

Glad you think it’s a good idea. Please read the first topic I linked to and the concerns that some raised about privacy, and add your voice to the debate. I’d still like this approach to be seriously considered! :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

I think these ideas are great. Making it easy to build sites would really help adoption.

That said I think the lowest hanging fruit is the Safenetwork as a backup service. I said more on this here

Once a load of people are using it to backup their files (And farming to earn the Safecoin to do those backups) then at that stage I see apps starting to appeal to those existing users.

3 Likes

I am going to throw my 2 cents in. I think I am typical in many ways of the people who would be your first users. I know just enough to be dangerous. I come here attempt to figure out what people are talking about and leave confused. I understand the premise of the network but not the technical stuff.

I have several wordpress sites. I handle them myself. I would love to set something new up but things here are beyond my ability. If you want people to participate than there has to be a format that allows the people like me to be a part of all this.

I would be happy to test drive any platforms if that would help. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Start a thread and please voice this more loudly. This barrier needs to be down from day one of launch. Don’t be scared. Make it known. Invite your friends and family with similar technical knowledge to chime in. If popular enough, those with the time and capability will fulfill the request. It will be of great benefit to the network in terms of content diversity and node quantity. Just don’t advertise SAFE too broadly yet. We don’t want to give the greater community a bad impression with incomplete software or a buggy beta. :relaxed: Again, help push this as much as you can.

1 Like

One of my questions is: Would people be ok with static sites?

Something that looks like a blog from the early 2000’s, just a picture here and there, a menu at the top, and text as a post.

In this day and age, would average contributors (like @DanaD) be ok with no javascript, search and the like?

I think this is an inevitable first step but only a stop-gap. Today’s internet is about self publishing (comments, posts) on other people’s websites, so if SAFE network is to compete with it we need to exceed that capability (e.g. same functionality, but more freedom, not sacrificing privacy, less centralisation etc.).

So I think we will definitely need dynamic websites for SAFE one way or another, although it is possible that they will not simply follow the model of the current internet. Quite exciting to be imagining this and maybe building it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The bulk of today’s internet still looks this way. Site creators can still achieve a very professional and aesthetically pleasing site by using various techniques (i.e. Using pre-shaded backgrounds and lettering that creates the illusion of depth, making sure there are few sharp edges for a more bubbly appearance in the case of less formal sites, etc). Future site templates could encourage this. I imagine a new SAFE scripting language could be developed by the team to allow for modern aesthetics without the security implications. @Scott could lead the charge.

If end user site interaction is what you meant, I believe it’s possible to modular-ize the site layout so that the site remains separate from the more dynamic aspects like a comments section or any other equally volatile system.

1 Like

Well using wordpress is just bunch of text, and simple picture. But they build it so overly complex with a lot of wasted resources! It cost money to put data in the network, so it incentive people to NOT to put junk data and save money. This means javascript. The majority of websites will be static, and hopefully remain that way. I actually believe that Javascript will be user side, and therefore have more customization for their personalized UI, which is a overlay on top of the static website. The static websites can provide a download button, a javascript source to the user, and see their nicely done UI.

A dynamically UI that allows interaction between users on top of the static websites.We could communicate, buy, sell, rate in real time inside of dynamic system. It needs a place for JIT inside of the network, where everybody contribute bits of their resources into. Something like ethereum has done. EVM + solidify. It places between blocks, and users. Perhaps JIT should always be in cache level.

Something that you guys made me think about is that we would certainly need the equivalent to a “Comments Section”. However I think it needs to be different.

Think of all of the ways that comments are made.

• Youtube comment section
  • Yahoo news comment section
  • Forums
  • Reddit comments
  • Blog comment section

Each have varying degrees of immediacy, proximity, and quality - and I’m trying to find a relationship between those characteristics.

Which are seen in conjunction with the content? Which are provided by another party along with the content? Which are the most informative about the content?

What makes a happy medium among involvement, attachment, and quality?

2 Likes

Sorry! I had totally forgotten about this comment.

As @happybeing replied - yes, that’s totally possible.

However, the philosophically-charged hypothetical that I was asking was directly relating to sharing inside of the Network.

The question is, what is the motivation behind the person’s website and who will the entering users be? Many small business people have a basic static site (I make my living providing small business with printed materials so know them well), then there are the blogs, the commerce sites and the social sites.

I would think a small business platform would be a really good one to start with. Pretty basic. Typical dentist or service company. Most of my clients have a basic page or 4 with the company info, hours, services and contact info.
Blogs would be the second category.

Depends on the context I believe. There are so many examples to take from. My analysis is that opinion driven material and exhibitionism would garner the most beneficial commentary (i.e . Articles, youtube videos, selfies, etc). Factual data or observational findings benefit little from unfettered social commentary. Useful insight for this would easily be inundated by irrelevant comments and verbose rejection of the data. Sifting through thousands of comments for useful material would be tedious and impractical. Even worse and somewhat contradictive to my suggestion of filtering (in regards to latter social medium) is that legitimate arguments could be rejected by the admin to manipulate public knowledge by hiding flaws or truths.

I’m on with the idea that social interaction is the way to go. If I can’t share cat videos, it’s not worth my time. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Seriously, I would change my username to “cat videos” if I could.

Facebook is amazing, Twitter is amazing. YouTube is amazing. There are only a few things they don’t do right, and those may be the way towards a significant initial user base. I already mentioned in another post: teens leave Facebook because it isn’t private enough. They are also early adopters. This could be used.

Having to pay (however little) doesn’t help here. Maybe as part of the price of a $.50 app?

As for static sites or not, anything that is a step backwards will be seen as a weakness. Yes, static sites are awesome for almost anything. Still: “You can’t do databases? Sorry, not interested.” I don’t believe this is something to argue about, this is something to face and work out.

Today, any friction is too much friction. I can’t go around expecting people to download something just so that they can view my lousy blog. For a long time, things will need to be hosted both on SAFE and oldschool internet. Give them an http link, and have your the site try to redirect to the safe:// version, then fall back if it didn’t work. Maybe set up public proxies as gateways to the network.

Also, cat videos. :smirk_cat:

2 Likes