The Price of Safecoin & The Economics Behind It

All cool! Cheers! :v:

3 Likes

@Justin The details on the economics of the Safecoins and the pricing of them is discussed in detail in the paper located here from the maidsafe.net website.

“While the total safecoin
in circulation can never exceed 4.3 billion, safecoins
which are paid to the network in exchange
for network resources, will be recycled and made
newly available to Farmers as an incentive to
continue storing new data. This will create a
virtuous cycle of exchange in both directions between
use and maintenance of the network.
The number of resources or services it is possible
to buy will not be linked to the exchange
price. The amount of storage, for example, that
each safecoin buys over time will increase, otherwise
the network resources could become very
expensive if allowed to rise in line with the exchange
price.”

1 Like

there is also a brand new thread…

For the lazy people who can’t do research…

2 Likes

I guess you read this:

We have uncovered several weaknesses in how Diffie-Hellman key exchange has been deployed:

Logjam attack against the TLS protocol. The Logjam attack allows a man-in-the-middle attacker to downgrade vulnerable TLS connections to 512-bit export-grade cryptography. This allows the attacker to read and modify any data passed over the connection.

The attack is reminiscent of the FREAK attack, but is due to a flaw in the TLS protocol rather than an implementation vulnerability, and attacks a Diffie-Hellman key exchange rather than an RSA key exchange. The attack affects any server that supports DHE_EXPORT ciphers, and affects all modern web browsers. 8.4% of the Top 1 Million domains were initially vulnerable.

Threats from state-level adversaries. Millions of HTTPS, SSH, and VPN servers all use the same prime numbers for Diffie-Hellman key exchange. Practitioners believed this was safe as long as new key exchange messages were generated for every connection. However, the first step in the number field sieve—the most efficient algorithm for breaking a Diffie-Hellman connection—is dependent only on this prime. After this first step, an attacker can quickly break individual connections.

We carried out this computation against the most common 512-bit prime used for TLS and demonstrate that the Logjam attack can be used to downgrade connections to 80% of TLS servers supporting DHE_EXPORT. We further estimate that an academic team can break a 768-bit prime and that a nation-state can break a 1024-bit prime.

Breaking the single, most common 1024-bit prime used by web servers would allow passive eavesdropping on connections to 18% of the Top 1 Million HTTPS domains. A second prime would allow passive decryption of connections to 66% of VPN servers and 26% of SSH servers. A close reading of published NSA leaks shows that the agency’s attacks on VPNs are consistent with having achieved such a break.

Yes, it’s pretty crazy out there. It is interesting that one of our Strathclyde Uni Phd tutors has said for a long time our ability to go over even heavily corrupted routers and be MiTM resistant is a pretty big issue. I think folk will see this as we roll out and many of these kinds of attacks don’t affect us. I am sure there will be others we need to watch for, we are not silly :slight_smile: but much of what breaks the net just now does not affect us. This is very nice side effect of such a design I think.

7 Likes

Wow, I’m so glad to have got not 1000 but 2,033 maidsafecoins. WHoever that was thanks. This is awesome1!!!1!!!

2 Likes

I am still reading through this thread. A lot of good info.

While we are at this topic, I would recommend everybody to read this incredible article.It is very long but packed with awesome sauce.

2 Likes

I am watching the ETH trading go live on Kraken and with the exception of a few coins which went for 20 Euros each, 0.01 BTC (2.5 Eur) seems to be a point where buyers and sellers agree…that’s 20x the initial IPO price.

Although Ethereum was more hyped than Maidsafe, I cannot but wonder if Safecoin’s fate will be similar, what do you guys think? :smiley:

4 Likes

any links for that @sfcoin?

3 Likes

https://www.kraken.com/charts

Choose ETH/XBT. Prices around 0.0125 BTC. About $3,50

3 Likes

1 Like

A quick search tells me it was 0.40$ per Ether. Did you convert using BTC?

1 Like

Yeah it was 50 k satoshis when I bought. It went up to 75k at the end of the sale

Well the bulk of the sell volume haven’t hit exchanges yet the devs advised to keep confirmations at insane levels >5000 so this price level will be hit hard down to IPO levels or even lower - my prediction :smiley:

Kiplinger’s article today in my local newspaper about cloud storage service:

"Google Drive and OneDrive offer 15GB at no charge; iCloud users get 5GB free. Users of Dropbox’s free Basic service start off with 2GB, but may add an additional 500MB of storage for each new Basic customer they refer—or 1GB for each new paid, Dropbox Pro subscriber—up to 18GB total. For mega users, OneDrive is the price leader at $7 per month for a terabyte of storage. Dropbox and Google Drive charge $10 per month, and iCloud is $20 per month, for 1TB.

Had no idea storage was that relatively cheap (1 tb for $10/m?). What does this calculate out to for Safecoin estimated price?

IMO, that is expensive.

Currently, 1TB hard drive (Seagate or Western Digital) costs between $50 to $70 on Amazon. They have a typical lifespan of 3 years, with around 10% failure after 3 years. Here’s a cost analysis break down.

1TB Hard Drive
1000GB @ $60 = $0.06 per GB
$0.06 / (life expectancy 36months) = $0.0016 per GB per Month or $0.002 rounded up.

1TB Cloud Storage
1000GB @ $10 per month = 0.01 per GB per Month.

Cloud storage cost 5 times more than a hard drive. This is just a basic cost comparison using storage space alone.

If we apply the numbers above to SAFE storage, we can estimate Safecoin’s “Network Storage Value” using this basic formula. Keep in mind, this assumes people view SAFE storage service equivalent to other cloud storage services.

SC = $0.01 x GB x 36 = Fiat Value (Dollars)

If 1 Safecoin buys 1GB, that means…
SC = $0.01 x 1GB x 36 = $0.36

If 1 Safecoin buys 10GB, that means…
SC = $0.01 x 10GB x 36 = $3.60

Q&A

Why use 36 months for SAFE storage?
Even though SAFE storage pays for lifetime (unlimited), it’s reasonable to use the life expectancy of the average farmers hard drive as a “substitute” in place of an unlimited time frame. Obviously, Network space endure added churn events, due to failing drives after 3 years.

What about Safecoin’s use as currency?
This is a consideration but without the Network Launch and peer review, I have no way of knowing how much value that may add. As long as it is secure and easy to use, it will add more value!

What about Safecoin’s use in APPS?
This might be the best feature for Safecoin, but we need killer APPS for it to become a reality. Again the potential is there because people spending Safecoin increases demand which in turn increases its relative value to other currencies.

What about de-duplication that reduces total storage costs on SAFE?
I already ran spreadsheet simulation models, using various figures and the results were jaw dropping. Unfortunately, it’s NOT a live assessment which means pure speculation. Hopefully, we will get a good starting point when we test the live Network.

7 Likes

I like your math but why 0.01 and not $0.002?

2 Likes

0.01 is the “average market rate” for cloud storage.
0.002 is the “SAFE farmers costs” for a new hard drive.

When you compare products/services… you use the average market rate for that product/service as long as they are equivalent.

The same is done when appraising houses in the housing market. The appraiser never looks up how much it costs to build the house, only what other houses of similar features and specs are going for in the market.

I hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

Sure it makes sense :slight_smile: but you cannot compare running costs of multimillion business with couple of pi’s running in the basement :slight_smile: