The power of minority opinion

A real conundrum, and it’s probably going to get worse. Should a small minority have this much destructive influence? How do you balance freedom of speech with societal protection, and should you even try?

4 Likes

I don’t know how you define ‘society’, but a prison for one’s mind, isn’t what I’d call one. Society can’t be protected by authority unless we accept that society is nothing more than a top-down religion of non-thinking fools. The problem with that ultimately is that it becomes a self-fulling system as after a while, people stop trying to think for themselves if they aren’t allowed to gather information and weigh it for themselves. IMO, such a system will collapse as inevitably someone evil will come to be in a position of authority who will lead the flock into the abyss.

Edit: Larkin Rose just posted this … perfect:

2 Likes

You’re assuming all 59 million followers are discriminating adults and/or gifted at critical thinking. Only 12 people! Something is amiss.

1 Like

I’m thinking this really is a math exercise, and somebody more knowledgeable that I could probably produce some numbers and show how such exponential spread happens.

From Wikipedia: “Six degrees of separation is the idea that all people on average are six, or fewer, social connections away from each other.”

I think this is interesting, and I feel this may need its own thread.

3 Likes

We shouldn’t lose sight of the main point of the article:

“On Facebook alone, the dozen are responsible for 73% of all anti-vaccine content, though the vaccines have been deemed safe and effective by the US government and its regulatory agencies.”

3 Likes

I am by no means an anti-vaxxer. I do think spreading lies like the content you mention is very harmful. Still, I don’t believe in mass-censorship any more than I believe in mass-surveillance. But I have the feeling the numbers given may be there mostly for psychological effect. Wouldn’t it be great if we could blame all misinformation on just 12 people! I’m not going to tag any mathematicians, but I think they might have some insights into this.

Title of separate post is misleading, methinks. May I suggest: The power of minority opinion.

3 Likes

Done.

Please don’t view the moving of the post as a bad thing. On the contrary, I think it’s interesting and deserves its own thread with its own discussion.

Or someone is missing. Jesus? :wink: