The power of DBCs on Safe Network

Excellent work, @mav - love your posts and input! :muscle:

So, MAID to SNT transfers look possible with no exchanges or middlemen, with no time lock, etc?

This is the sort of solution I like to see. It will be great to be able to wrap other cryptocurrencies in a similar way too, then take advantages (and trade offs, ofc) of what the safe network brings.

Really cool. Really, really, cool.

19 Likes

True. But this might be the first plugin (obviously simplified compared to generic plugin framework) available at launch :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Looking forward to that SN composable future!

4 Likes

Not necessarily mainly its just just contract, token and plugin standards which will all evolve on the SN in due course. The rest of crypto each project does its own thing and go their own ways.

The question is whether atomic composability will be possible on SN or not given its nature… we will see.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you want to tell me

It would be nice if you broke your wall of text into chunks.

So it’s easier to read.

Thank you

2 Likes

Trustless computing is a hard problem. Perhaps Maidsafe will work on it down the track but won’t be at launch and not likely for years.

Safe Network will have consensus mechanisms though – e.g. with node plugin’s and apps, we can create oracles.

1 Like

sorry, i didn’t explain myself properly. My question would be, can the safe network contribute in any way to achieving black box computing? evidently not at launch

2 Likes

I recall a discussion on the forum in the past on this topic in which David chimed in - I don’t recall the specifics of what was said, but my take is that I think he is interested in this.

As to whether Maidsafe will contribute here, I cannot know :wink:

1 Like

that sounds great

I would like to know more about black box computing, can you give me a good link for this? Thanks for @Safemoon

1 Like

Maybe related to this point on the SAFE Network roadmap:

Secure Enclaves

A trusted executable environment within existing computers

Concept

Creates an area within the hardware of a computer that is a secure, trusted environment that stands separate from the rest of the computer. It functions like a mini-computer inside existing computers that cannot be opened.

8 Likes

The pioneers on this subject (decentralized computing with TEE/secure enclaves) in the crypto space are iExec, from France. RLC token. Their website: https://iex.ec/

They started in 2016 and now they are trying to get real world usage. I’ve been following them closely and I can tell they are a very good, reliable team. Even if I don’t understand half of what they’re doing…

It’s blockchain-based so of course it’s quite a different beast, but it looks like they really did solve the decentralized computing problem. I’m no expert but I’m sure the Maidsafe team could learn a thing or two from them for the computing part of the Safe Network.

One use-case they are about to release is a decentralized oracle, so like Chainlink but even easier to use for developers. Or so they say.

Two recent articles from them :

4 Likes

As an amateur and just one person, I’ve no ability to evaluate their claims on secure enclave tech. Oracles though seems like a different animal and we will be able to do this on Safe Network.

An oracle is revealing something about the world and to have trust in that, a consensus approach is required - secure enclaves would be able to utilize that information and transform it in some way, but consensus oracles could do so as well - albeit at a higher cost (and slower) as multiple computing events instead of one.

Secure enclaves also add the ability to pass along and compute with secure information I suppose, which could be quite powerful.

It seems to me though that secure enclaves are ultimately going to have to rely on fully independently audited hardware and I suspect that is a really tough nut to crack.

3 Likes

Bingo! We have a winner. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This link does not work for me.

Try https://web.archive.org/web/20210927031748/https://opaque.link/post/digitalmoneydbc/

6 Likes

I like this definition from @mav’s link above

A DBC is nothing else but a string of bits that are ascribed value. It directly represents the money, without reference to any account, instead it is the money itself. Consider a DBC to be a digital bank note that can be directly transmitted between parties, does not require any account to be linked to a user, nor a widely distributed global state of the system.

6 Likes

Looks like ring signatures amongst elders may get some testing soon… I wonder if all these different implementations (blind sigs also in the works) are being tested against each other to test for the best balance between speed, privacy/fungibility or if the point is that any signing that Elders do is so which Elder signed what is unlinkable. :thinking:
Seems like a nice way to protect Elders while also ensuring that Elders can’t link what they are signing.

Don’t know much about the benefits of ring signatures besides what’s in the name.

Would share the link but from my understanding the author likes to keep a low profile, privacy respected.

4 Likes