The massive deflation of year 2025, rise in value of Safecoin, how to cope with it?

Do you know what the stance on this solution (from another thread) currently is?

@dirvine “liked” it but he didn’t weight in, so idk if it’s canon

By the way, this idea seems analogous to having an altcoin, pegged to Safecoin, for smaller denominations.

Isn’t that just the PUT balance talked about in the safecoin rfc

Maybe I should’ve quoted more from @DavidMtl; he went on saying:

This means that while it may have been meant for farming, it can also be used for exchanging small payments.

Its been suggested but using this balance means you are transacting a variable amount against safecoin because farming rate varies. Anyhow I bring this up in the discussion post in a couple of weeks.

I’m not sure I understand you. I mean, it’s obvious that the “value” (buying power or idk) of the same amount of Safecoin or change will be likely different between two points in time, but that isn’t a problem. I’m trying to understand what else could you mean.

As I understand, the fractional wallet would be something like a fixed point number, with a maximum value of 1.0. Small transactions would be different from Safecoin transactions (where you over-sign an SD block to somebody else), and they would be more like BTC transaction, where you send an “amount” from one address to another (though a BTC tx is not from an address but from an output, but that doesn’t matter here.)

I’m really curious about your idea for solving small payments, by the way.

Does anyone know how fast maidsafe coins will be distributed ?

We will have a total of around the 4,3 bn starting with 450 mil now.
How many years are the prediction to get to this 4,3 bn ?

I don’t believe there is a prediction; it works differently than BTC, where distribution is part of how the thing works. Safecoins are distributed randomly as well, but your chances of being rewarded depends on how many are already in circulation, and I think it is also tied to how full the network currently is (I should read up on it, I’m unsure about that part.)

So, unlike it is with many other cryptocurrencies, where the rate of distribution is regulated by a feedback loop, here it depends on demand alone, but in a complex enough way that prediction is impossible.

No, one day the PUT balance might be worth 0.xxxx of a safecoin but tomorrow it might be worth 0.yyyy of a safecoin. This is because the worth of the PUT balance is dependent on the farming rate

Hi @neo. The idea was that it wouldn’t represent a put balance anymore. Just the fraction of a safecoin. Put cost would be paid by this special wallet at the current rate of a put cost.

1 Like

That sounds a bit like what I suggested back before easter this year and about to discuss next month when the devs are hopefully less busy with the current releases

1 Like