The Ledger hack

My argument was that Zoki’s proposal was both practically not secure and not user friendly.
Also, I was disagreeing with his opinion that hardware wallets are just an overpriced USB stick, that is provably wrong.
Hardware wallets simplifies it making it usable for the average user while offering a very high level of security.

With a hardware wallet you don’t even need to use a secure operating system, it could be fully compromised and yet your private keys would be safe. (just watch out for social engineering tricks. Always confirm the addresses on your device, not on you computer screen.)
Although I personally prefer to add an extra layer of security by running everything on separate environments, that’s optional and probably overkill.

The only vector for hardware wallet hacks are supply chain attacks. We are talking nation state backed type of attacks, while Zoki’s setup could be undone by a script kiddie with a bit of patience.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.