The Difference Between Can't and Won't

How? John isn’t touching the board at all, isn’t even looking at it, until the very end of the story. He just put up the board. It would be like putting up a youtube site ready for people to upload videos, then go on vacation for 3 months and see what’s there when you return.

Not quite. If John returns from vacation and can see that his youtube paradise is showered in dmca take down requests he would have to act on those. The moment he is aware of a copyrighted video he would have to remove it. In bittorrent there is nobody who holds the key and can watch everything going on, including disabling transfers. If there was, they would be in deep shit.

If there’s a way to set it up where you simply do not own the private key to the site name sure, but that’s the issue at hand, which none has been able to come up with a good enough solution for atm. But I appreciate the attempts, some good ideas are coming out here for sure. App and non-owned (is that planned?) index are both promising ideas to explore further.

Well the issue here is, without an organized, centralized location for all the videos to be listed, how do you make this look anything like youtube? If I upload a video with the app I’ll get a link, for simplicity say let’s say I put the link in my site name, for example video.warz/movie.mp4 - how do people find it? p2p ? I could pm the link to somebody. That’s not a big audience and very inconvenient. No, we need the links to be submitted to “safe.tube” and somebody has to own “safe.tube”. That person, is responsible for what is submitted to safe.tube, the site name that everyone visits to view videos.

This is a good idea from a user-perspective. You mean like a reddit type of vote-down? While it could be abused by bad actors to censor, if most users are honest it would help to hide the illegal content, however it would still be available and sent in the html file to users, and would had to be hidden using javascript, client side right?