The death of Skynet Labs (Sia) and what we can learn from it

The company developing the Sia project goes bankrupt (the Sia foundation and the project itself continue to exist).

The key point for me is this (I have argued many times that our priority should be the crypto communities):

We built a platform with millions of monthly active users, but those users were largely outside of crypto and therefore not readily contributing to a fundraising narrative.

Privacy. Security. Freedom

1 Like

Not sure how Sia worked, but uploading on Safe requires SNTokens … Also SN data is spread out - like torrents are … so that spreads out the cost for storage providers.

That said, creating something new like Sia or SN is hard. There are far too many variables to chart a certain path.

Perhaps one thing that Maidsafe has done really well is to remain extremely lean and frugal. If they maintain that ideal post-launch then I think they can remain relevant for another decade or two - or more.

So long as the code can be adapted to the needs of humanity, then hopefully it will persist as an active project for as long as we desire it.

1 Like