TEST5 (AKA destructive test) - is now running

@tfa how did you do the DNS entries estimate?

Forget counts given by vault-count.safenet given a few days ago. This program crawls the nodes by recursively getting the nodes in close groups. The problem is the initial set of nodes I start from:

• a first version of the program was starting with nodes in my own routing table. The results were OK in a little local network of about 20 nodes. But this algorithm misses a lot of nodes in a bigger network.

• a second version was starting with close groups of about 30 random addresses. The results were much better but were fluctuating

• the latest version starts from 32 uniformly distributed addresses, which gives stable results and I am confident that there are really currently about 140 nodes in the network.

All this is about line labelled Current total nodes.

For the line labelled Locally estimated number of vaults I do an extrapolation from the distance of furthest node in my close group as explained here, except that I don’t subract a fraction of standard deviation. This value is highly variable and should be averaged on several vaults but I have only one.

1 Like

I count the number of SD in my vault having type tag 5, I divide it by GROUP_SIZE and I multiply it by the total number of nodes. This is an approximation that should also be averaged on several vaults.

2 Likes

Running a safe vault node on one of our servers for the hell of it. This machine is one that I’ve seen 50 Megabytes (not megabits) per second out of, and is equipped with an 8-core, 3.4ghz xeon CPU. Because of past use I can say that the routing/networks that it’s attached to are top class.

Does anyone want the logfile from it? I can make it available if it would prove useful to anyone.

Update: That machine has now moved 9GB today.

5 Likes

http://stabbyland.stabby.safenet/

Smooth sailing!

I should add it’s running on a Windows 7 laptop.

2 Likes

I’ve just been running my node for the past week or so. I haven’t been visiting Safenet sites or testing either the launcher or the demo app. This is not because I don’t want to, but because I don’t know if there’s any need to do so.

If there is I hope the Maidsafe team will tell us so. Until they do all I will do is run the vault and when new software versions are released I will play around with them for a bit.

Perhaps @frabrunelle can let us know in future dev updates / Test network releases what kind of activity is required to make this a successful test. I’m sure lots of us are willing to go the length if specific tests are needed at specific times, etc.

5 Likes

While testing is going on, wouuld it be possible to temporarily put something in the code to let us know some stats about the entire network. Stats like how many vaults are running?

Dido (20 characters)

The new client interface has an ETA of Tuesday and that’ll be enough for me to start a client up. I’ve seen the mock up but can’t wait to see it in action!

Maybe I get too excited over things like this but I can’t stop believing in what this project is attempting.

EDIT
As soon as messaging is being tested people will flock to the network. I know quite a few sticks in the mud who won’t test it yet til that’s available. Some peoples kids!

8 Likes

long time no see when maid launcher

Since I had a new publicid registered, I thought I’d upload some data.

Uploaded the 5mb.safenet index.html that is … to 5MB… to http://test.smoke-y.safenet

OMG it was fast… I blinked and it was done.
Something about that file existing perhaps makes the chucks simple to upload. The download was quick too…

I don’t know why that was so quick to upload, as I’d have expected that it would have made chunks different to the original instance. Perhaps there’s some compression before encryption?? Might be worth better understanding the apparent difference though.

5 Likes

Yes, it gets compressed, and of course “…” is very compressible. I also realized that only after I had created the file. Should replace it with random data.

And also the chunks get created only once, although at the moment you still have to upload them with your Put request.

4 Likes

I’ve got the same error with all previous launcher versions , I’ve downloaded the launcher zip from

opened it on my windows 7 64bit computer and double clicked the “safe_launcher.exe” , waiting and still same error “trying to connect with safe network” on the top status bar … why ?
I think it might have to do with the fact that I’m connected to an office internet , but I have permissions to view web pages like google and youtube with no proxy .

Make sure you use the most recent version of the launcher located here.

Will test this on Tuesday, 10x !

Please consider joining the latest iteration of the community1 network: Community1 test network 18-hour run

1 Like

Meanwhile Test5 is still running and likely putting that through its paces will do more use.

I’d be surprised if the Bleeding Edge compile of the latest patchwork of updates did just work before it’s put forward as something that can work together. Come the alpha, I’d expect each tweak on a repository more likely to not break the whole but at this stage perhaps it’s not there yet and liable to not work in alsorts of ways?

Stopped http://vault-count.safenet/ (the site is not deleted but the result is frozen at that date: 105 vaults at 2016-07-15 21:16:31 UTC).

Added http://mystats.safenet/ which replaces the frozen site and http://safe-galaxy.safenet/ which displays a galaxy of stars representing nodes in the xor space. You can find your own vault by using vault_coordinates utility and passing the id of your vault to it.

I will migrate these sites to test 6 network, I just don’t know how much time the migration will take.

2 Likes

TEST5 network seems to have been terminated.

3 Likes

Because Test 6 started. SAFE Network - TEST 6

1 Like