SAFE Network TEST 9 + SAFE Mail Tutorial

TEST 9 has been restarted – all data has been reset.

See this post for more details. You can keep using the same version of SAFE Launcher (v0.9.0).

Today, we are releasing TEST 9 as well as the first dev tutorial :tada: This tutorial series will differentiate SAFE from being seen as a storage network and allow people to realize the depth of the capabilities as we add new tutorials. SAFE does storage, but that’s only a small part of the story, we can now begin to make that clear.

This testnet is client-only. You can’t run your own vault.

To connect to TEST 9, you need to use SAFE Launcher v0.9.0. You won’t be able to connect to TEST 9 by using SAFE Launcher v0.8.0 (Alpha 1).

We think this testnet should be very interesting to try and we’re also excited to see the apps that devs will be creating with these new APIs. As always, this is a testnet and especially with the scope of current changes, some bugs might occur and hopefully they can get addressed quickly and removed from future tests.

We are planning to bring TEST 8 down next Monday (September 19).

SAFE Launcher v0.9.0

Each client account is limited to 500 PUTs. A PUT is a request to store a single chunk on the network (a file may contain many chunks). The maximum chunk size is 1 MB.

Please be aware that this test network will be reset periodically, wiping all data that is stored on it. We will announce this in a Dev Update (when possible) prior to taking it down.

Download

Documentation

Changelog

• safe_core dependency updated to 0.20.0
  • UI switched to React + Redux from angular
  • FFI forked process is removed
  • Basic API methods to work with low level DataTypes are added

Known limitations

• The first time you use SAFE Launcher, it might take you to a blank page. Just click on the Account tab and that should let you continue using the app.
  • Only Rust logs are created. UI logs are currently disabled.

SAFE Mail Tutorial v0.1.0

An example of an email app skeleton to allow developers to pick it up and add some basic functionality for a fully working email MVP. Then add further functionality using the APIs described in this tutorial, to make amazing communication tools in SAFE. We have tried very hard to not make a user-facing app as we want developers to see this as a tutorial and know they have everything they need for communications apps in SAFE and a bit more.

A first stage of the tutorial series and we hope you enjoy it and help us clean up any bugs (this was done extremely quickly) and help improve the SAFE Launcher APIs.

Download

Documentation

Learn how to build an email app that works entirely on the SAFE Network!

Instead of relying on an email service provider such as Gmail, or going through the trouble of running your own mail server, you can use the SAFE Network to build dynamic applications such as email and messaging apps.

Click here to access the SAFE Dev Tutorials website

SAFE Demo App v0.6.0

You can continue to use the same binaries as Alpha 1, the demo app hasn’t been updated.

When uploading files using SAFE Demo App, the maximum file size is 25 MB per file.

Download

Documentation

Support

If you need help with anything related to SAFE Launcher or SAFE Demo App, please use the #support category of this forum.

If you need help with anything related to the content of the SAFE Mail Tutorial, please use the #support category of the SAFE Dev Forum.

Where should I report issues?

GitHub is the best place to report issues and bugs. Using GitHub will help us (MaidSafe) manage issues and prioritise work within the Dev team faster.

40 Likes

http://dirvine.safenet/
email: dirvine :smiley:
[edit but I am gonna sleep now then pub so …]

23 Likes

hahahah ^^^^ … that is because i stole his email id david before he got a chance to create it. (And now i don’t even remember the password to that account).

13 Likes

Domain squatter’s already :smiley:

15 Likes

Will be testing late tonight! Yippee!!

3 Likes

This is exactly why I’m against the current dns model you guys implemented.

Sweet, I’m gonna test it out.

3 Likes

Worry not there’s an RFC for petname I think.

14 Likes

http://krekc.safenet/

email: krekc

3 Likes

Bam! Happy ending. Whoop whoop :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

email: token

Great app guys! Good job!!!

Edit/ @dirvine Does the mail refreshes automatically?
Yeah got mail :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I believe so, my mails were just there when David and Francis sent them :grinning:

Legendary

Thanks @Maidsafe team for the new toys :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No we did not do that, there will hopefully be push notification soon though. We have kept this as much a skeleton tutorial as possible. IMHO this is 90% of the way to email MVP all it needs is a couple of libs for layout, reply linked (just a route) and some tweaks.

So secure, private, not going through any servers, I think this could be something, now I wonder what the next few examples will show off :slight_smile: @lightyear is in secret hole starting on one that may surprise a lot of people as well.

Waited so long for folk to see this is not a storage network and these examples/tutorials will allow the app devs on this forum and beyond to take them and show off amazingly good easy secure free privacy enhancing apps and it’s about time we got here. Ofc more to do in back end (vaults) but hope you will see front end capabilities starting to become very powerful.

24 Likes

It’s probably a play on the word karma :smiley:

11 Likes

Yeahhh!!!

This looks really really nice :thumbsup:

So great, we always new this was coming one day. Today it’s the day. And in the coming weeks we’ll see more great stuff.

Can’t wait :upside_down:

mail: polpolrene

5 Likes

Feels good to be the first spammer on the SAFE Network :stuck_out_tongue:

I got Male

I’m so totally in love with this SAFE Network thing, if the world only knew

17 Likes

Looking forward to see what people do with this barebone and the tutorial! :smiley: Exciting times indeed!

3 Likes

Excellent delivery Team Maidsafe.

5 Likes

Mail feels so normal but when you think about the fact this is fully encrypyted and fully P2P it really blows me away. This is a first glimp of how we might use SAFE in the future as a tool. So amazing. Great :thumbsup: to the team.

13 Likes