Test 10: SAFE Email and Public ID List

It’s good to have a reminder that this is all “test mode” at this time. I’m not insulted at all and appreciate all the kind assistance that members are sharing with me. One of my favorite sayings is “Life should be the constant pursuit of the reduction of ignorance” and I’m really ignorant about the SAFE network but attempting to learn. Thanks Nigel.

7 Likes

One day it might be “mail”, but to start, nobody will understand “mail me” or “here’s my mail id” as being about SAFEnetwork. So, yes, you could say “mail me on SAFEnetwork” but…

…what goes on the business card, your clearnet website etc? I think it will be:

Email:     happybeing@example.org 
SAFE mail: happybeing
3 Likes

Everything will just become “safe a note/mail”, “safe the file”, “safe me the coins” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m surprised the browser doesn’t have a clear history option…

If you control the page, then removing the file and refreshing the browser will clear the cache of that file; upload the new and refresh will download the new file.

Edit: Better option - just delete the cache folder which in Linux is at ~/.config/SAFE Beaker Browser location suggested in beaker:settings

In before someone suggests ‘smail’…

3 Likes

@bochaco:

Everything will just become “safe a note/mail”, “safe the file”, “safe me the coins”

OMG, “safe” as a verb. I can see the TV jingles we’ll be crowdfunding now… Just don’t tell @Warren (or me for that matter - in don’t want to know) :wink:

2 Likes

I though that because you are actually saving files, mails, coins in SAFE, then save → safe :wink:

1 Like

Just a question about how the mail is being set up. It says “inbox space being used” and I thought the discussion was about having an outbox size limit to limit spam. Messages essentially had to be pulled from your outbox by the receiver to free up more space or you could delete them. With the current setup, I could mailbomb postit or brown (the people nice enough to send me a message for testing) and fill up their inbox and they are stuck not getting any more mail from “real people” We’re back to the “fill up their inbox” DoS attack of the old days with this setup. Did I miss something? Is that that something that is simple to change for someone making the “real mail” app or is that something pretty hard set at the protocol level?

4 Likes

I don’t think this mail app actually uses the messaging protocol that was developed sometime back as that still hasn’t been implemented AFAIK. I think this app just makes GETS, PUTS, DELETES on appendable data

4 Likes

So to explain what happened. I read, reread, and read some more. Nigel helped me by telling me to look at Test 10 and follow the instructions.
I don’t follow instructions well, I’m a guy. Do guys read instructions? This guy should. Anyway what I didn’t read in all the instructions was that I needed to delete the old 8.0 Launcher install the new 9.0 version which handles the email tutorial. In addition I opened the tutorial files thinking I needed to actually write the code into a file to create the email account, not so. Once I figured out that all I needed to do was find the .exe file amongst the email tutorial files and open it the rest took care of itself.
For us truly non technical individuals even the good instructions need to be simplified. I don’t think that many people are tenacious enough nor willing to spend the hours necessary to figure all this out. When the SAFE network gets ready for mass use i think it will need to be “plug and play” or people may go elsewhere.
All that said thanks again to you and Nigel for keeping me pointed in the right direction.

3 Likes

You are absolutely correct. Remember that we are really not even up to the “early adopter” stage yet. I’d say you have involved yourself at the “later visionary” stage, so be proud! You’ve gained insight to the future before it’s manifest.

You are, of course, very welcome.

5 Likes

lol… its what i suggested a month or so back…

establish ‘safe’ as a description of securely saving/passing/archiving information and its game over for anything else… i don’t dyson my carpets!!!

and its conveniently like like saving my files… now we should be ‘safeing’ our files…

very very important stuff this as its the key to the technologies success…

safe becoming common parlance is the way forward…

rup :wink:

1 Like

Im not sure SAFE can pull off a Xerox ’ “Make a xerox copy” or “Xerox that please” Xerox invented photocopying hence the term was used for years in place of photocopy.

“safeing the doc” may be percieved as grammer/spelling issue. Not that appealing to me as it needs explaining.

Agree - Plug & Play - Click a url, check the I Accept field, start browsing. Im not sure they will go elsewhere because the really is no elsewhere. OK there is a St. Elsewhere but they wont go there.

i’m not so sure…

rup