Team News at MaidSafe

Changes in a road-map causes people to leave? Looks barely different to me. People leaving is fine, and I can’t truly question the given reason; but ‘schedule change’ still is ‘crazy’ as a reason… to me.

4 Likes

Sorry to see @nicklambert and @pierrechevalier83 leave. Thanks for all the hard work and the commitment to the project. You will be missed and I hope you stay close to the project and the community.

16 Likes

I don’t think the post indicates that changes in the rodmap caused people to leave.
It’s more like:
changes in the way the company operates lead to

• a new roadmap, and
  • artistic differences which lead to people leaving
    :wink:
25 Likes

I suspected you know :wink: Anyhow nice to see you still around David, yer patter and joviality is missed in the office.

24 Likes

I have mixed feelings and want to one moment express positive ones - the change we have seen lately is good, if these departures were part of that, then it’s good. Next moment I want to ask questions as I feel like I don’t know what exactly is happening.

I completely understand how a team can be downsized in times of diminishing runway, as we saw with @DGeddes and @kayley, and focus being put on development.

I also see full logic in making changes in management to enable such a change we have seen, especially when they have been working here so long. I admire both @Viv and @nicklambert, and their departure feels heavy in my stomach, but I am at the same time very happy to see the promotion of @dugcampbell and @Nadia, they have both always impressed on me and they seem super apt for their roles. Their step up is 100% positive in my eyes.

The one thing I don’t understand is what kind of disagreement someone at the role of @pierrechevalier83 would have with current course, as to leave.
I don’t expect an answer, I simply state that I don’t see what that could be. Such a brilliant developer, with so big part in PARSEC, and leaving when it is soon to see the test of battle in an MVP? I would feel that he is needed there, to ensure it makes it through. It confuses me.
This doesn’t mean I don’t believe there are good reasons, I just don’t understand what they could be if it is a disagreement with regards to project course.

Anyway, I’ll go and have mixed feelings again and maybe come back with another view later.

40 Likes

with so big part in PARSEC, and leaving when it is soon to see the test of battle in an MVP? I would feel that he is needed there, to ensure it makes it through. It confuses me.

Not answering all your questions here, but with respect to PARSEC etc., I think I may be getting a bit more credits on this than I deserve: it was truly a team effort to come up with the algorithm, and even more so to develop it etc.

I am definitely not indispensable in the routing team for my contributions in PARSEC: everyone in the team has a very good understanding of the algorithm and I don’t see any road-bumps with that once I’ve left. The parsec repo on GitHub already does all it needs to do at this time, but when maintenance is needed, I am 100% confident it is left in very competent hands.

I may tell more later, but this is just to address that specific point :smile:

56 Likes

Well expressed, and very much my thoughts @oetyng. It’s not important that I understand the answers, but it is worth saying it is hard to make sense of aspects of this. The world is like that though.

And yes, I’m very sorry to see such good people, who have contributed so much leave and not be with us the rest of the way, especially as the wins seem to be upon us.

Thank you @nicklambert, you were always helpful, respectful and have contributed so much over a long period. I wish you the best of luck in the future and will miss you, so do hope you will keep in touch.

@pierrechevalier83, I’m so sorry to see you leaving. Not only have you contributed so much in a relatively short time, you had an exceptional ability to break down something very complex and abstract, and make it seemingly simple to follow. Applause and thanks from me, all the best and I hope you will stick around and join in the community.

@dugcampbell and @Nadia, congratulations to both of you and good luck in your new positions.

It’s quite something to see how Maidsafe can handle big changes like this because they have so many great people.

40 Likes

This reminds me of the days when I was an avid reader of the music press. Bands were always splitting over musical differences after having made an experimental album. You’re not playing bagpipes in the office are you @dirvine, metaphorically or otherwise?

19 Likes

Congrats @dugcampbell and @Nadia - well deserved!

The pivot has clearly been a big one and a big focus on roadmap delivery is visibly the focus. This is obvious from the roadmap and the commentary in the updates.

The change from r&d to delivery seems to be very much required from my perspective. The space is getting ever more competitive and the runway is not endless. Moreover, incremental, usable, networks seems like an entirely modern and reasonable approach.

Reading the tea leaves further, I suspect these changes may also be preparing the company for investment and/or acquisition. This would naturally cause senior staff members to reflect on their future goals, as new people arrivals come in at the top. This is pure speculation on my part, but having experienced this is several companies, my spider sense is tingling! :wink:

21 Likes

Bagpipes are amiable.

5 Likes

So is Marmite [20 chars]marmite

4 Likes

What heavy news. I too am sad to see @nicklambert and @pierrechevalier83 depart. They will be sorely missed, and their contributions were truly invaluable!

As the SAFE Network enters into this new stage of development, it only makes sense that MaidSafe’s needs too have shifted. As others have noted, now that the technical feasibility has greatly been de-risked, the greatest challenges to solve are in the areas of strategy, marketing, and operations.

Best of luck to @Nadia and @dugcampbell as they take on their new positions! I look forward to seeing the positive impact they have on MaidSafe as they propel us towards a thriving SAFE Network.

22 Likes

Hate to see engineers dropping off before Fleming but it is what it is. Pierre’s comments on competency of the team post his departure relieve me a bit, but MAID really needs all the dev firepower it can get right now so I still view it as a big loss. Differing viewpoints on how to proceed should not really be a factor in parting ways(try one approach 4-5 months and if it sucks then try alternatives, although with funding limitations there isn’t much wiggle room for experimentation and dialog as the days of 2015/2016/2017/2018). I hope the pieces that have been considered “done” are actually in a supporting functional state for MVP(parsec, quic-p2p first that come to mind). Hopefully colleagues can pick up and carry the extra burden. Time will tell. Best of luck to MaidSafe as well as those making the next transition in their lives.

18 Likes

@nicklambert @pierrechevalier83

Shame to see you go guys.

10 Likes

Artistic differences…

It sounds as… uh… nevermind. Farewell hug. Good luck. And as the others have said, I hope we will keep seeing you around.

7 Likes

This announcement sits really heavy. So many very talented people leaving at such a critical time. :-\ just because I don’t understand doesn’t mean it’s not for the best.

I wish those leaving all the best and congrats to the newly promoted!

12 Likes

that’s exactly what I was thinking too. It’s hard to have any real insight from the sidelines
of the forum. But I suspect somehow it all makes sense for the big picture. MaidSafe has grown up
a lot lately and this is possibly a sign that the next big steps are coming… very interesting times to come is my feeling.

big thanks to the departing and congrats to the newly promoted! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I was wondering why a post was dedicated to this as apposed to the normal announcement along with the update.
My thoughts were not to overshadow the development update with less than happy news.

Now you have me thinking the Thursday update may have a totally new surprise.

Or it is all totally random and nothing more than meets the eye. Again time will tell :clock2:

7 Likes

Is the truth really so awful that it cannot be disclosed to the public?

Did the new CTO suddenly start stripping essential components to speed up launch while sacrifying security? Did someone realize the project is a house of cards? I am not accusing you of either, but I am stating what kind of questions pops up in peoples mind when you have key contributors leaving with no explainations. “Artistic differences” is no explaination, it’s a cop-out.

What could possibly be the reasons for hiding this information from public I wonder? I don’t know. But I find it very troubling.

I hope someone can shed some light on this.

And good luck to @nicklambert @pierrechevalier83 in new endeavours, sorry to see you go.

12 Likes

It’s always a really sad day when you have to leave someone. We shared nice moments on this forum, ups, downs, doubts, questions. I hope some day to meet and know all of you, great contributors of this revolution.
Great things are built by the solid cooperation of visionary and strong minds like you @nicklambert and @pierrechevalier83

During revolution people come and go but the things that they build live forever. And i’m sure that everyone will appreciate you by watching your hard work. I’m confident that you’ll keep believing into the SafeNetwork dream like all of us and that we’ll soon celebrate together

Thanks again

13 Likes