Taking decentralized one step further... wireless?

iVi on Indiegogo and ends December 16, 2014

This looks like an interesting device, it utilizes the B.A.T.M.A.N. advanced routing protocol, which in my research is the best mesh routing algo. The guys that wrote B.A.T.M.A.N. hacked the Linux kernel to achieve L2 routing, which could be an interesting way to go for SAFE.

So this might the closest thing to a SAFEbox going around.

Mesh Network: iVi supports advanced mesh networks for file-sharing between all units in range (see Koch antenna). Forming large, private networks. Suitable for most wireless devices, including computers, smartphones, laptops, tablets, and PSP/NDS.

iVi supports two types of meshnet protocols: B.A.T.M.A.N.-adv and cjdns

• The first through software. B.A.T.M.A.N-adv runs on a Layer2
    protocol, and eliminates issues associated with NAT from node to
    node.
  • The second is implemented via hardware (random number generator) to
    create IPv6 addresses, thereby off-loading the processing from the
    AR9331 chipset.

2 Likes

Wireless Meshnets: Building the Next Version of the Web” - HOPE 2014

This panel features discussion and debate about the exciting current state of wireless meshnet technology, with a particular focus on how to build and join local urban wireless networks separate from the traditional Internet. A short tutorial of the project as well as how to connect to a local meshnet – including an overview of the necessary open hardware and software required – is provided.

After the tutorial, a discussion will occur regarding the scope and impact of the global meshnet project. Technology covered included the CJDNS project, Hyperboria, installing the Meshberry image on a Raspberry Pi device, configuring Ubiquiti NanoStation M5 routers featuring the OpenWrt software, and other relevant topics. Whether you’re a new user or an enthusiast, this is a great place to learn more about the technology driving new free and secure private networks.

1 Like

I just read about this on Popsci.

If this mesh network + MaidSafe concept seems viable, might it eventually be worthwhile to build an incentive structure into MaidSafe its self, so that in the same way people will be incentivised with SafeCoin to provide data, bandwidth & processing, people could be incentivised to provide networking infrastructure?

For example, the network could provide SafeCoin incentives for network infrastructure in such a way that being the first to reach new areas or improve weak links is rewarded, and when there is plenty of infrastructure, rewards for provision can reduce.

It would need a lot of thought, and of course if people simply use existing ISPs etc it may be unnecessary, but the possibility of utilising SafeCoin to incentivise the development of a high quality mesh network in the same way as computing resources seems like an interesting concept.

2 Likes

This project seems to have vanished…it was touting an incentivization model for mesh

2 Likes

How do we take away the narrative without out something like Libernet. It seems like SAFE was meant to prioritize bandwidth as one of the dimensions to earn SAFE coin. Without a fully end user owned and controlled network we will be stuck with for instance centralized energy and the lame narratives. For instance, oil is inherently unreliable. Its not that its not a great battery or even that its limited (I think peak oil may well be a myth because it may not be fossil fuel) but rather that its choke point energy given to centralized control and control that will be in the hands of a cabal. Its another useless and unnecessary toll road to support corporate welfare royalty. Its the kind of infrastructure that keeps us enslaved. The alternatives are getting the requisite storage tech and are no longer intermittent, but are decentralized. How will ever act on this liberation with sponsored networks and media? Until we own the network its paying intermediaries that exist to deceive us.

1 Like

I love all the ideas here…

We are creating the future!!

1 Like

On Libernet in Nov David Irvine apparently posted in the libernet thread

“Spoke with them briefly a while back, we should get in touch again during testnet3, I am working in routing again and with crux coming along this kind of environment should be pluggable into SAFE, a win all around. If the librenet team wish they could be part of the core rewards I would imagine as this is certainly a core part. It absolutely needs to be cross platform though as we have this simple to use mentality so anyone should be able to click and use.”

1 Like

nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more

2 Likes

Yes @nkkarpov – here’s one thread I started a few months ago, based on Apple’s new mesh networking app FireChat: FireChat is like a cheap mobile version of MaidSafe

Here are a couple of previoius maidsafe threads on the topic of wireless routers for a mesh network. I think this forum could be organized better so that previous discussions aren’t pushed down out of “permanent” view by new posts. That way, the ideas and thoughts can be better integrated and developed. At least have something comparable to the bitcointalk.org forum.

Are you guys (@chrisfostertv & @warren ) talking about openlibernet? Because this site renders an “account suspended” page. Try it out, do you see the same thing?

http://www.openlibernet.org

—nevermind—
Warren’s original typo libErnet threw my search off. You’re talking about libRenet, tied to Diaspora I assume.

1 Like

Taking it a step further, what if you could earn a “coin” for providing network access? Then people could be incentivized to do exactly what you’re saying (provide a mesh network). What if you could earn A LOT of coin for launching a balloon or satellite into space, and providing lots of network access. With “coin” technology, and crowdsourcing - an open alternative to the projects currently being launched by Google, SpaceX, and Facebook may be possible. That would be a truly open and global network.

3 Likes

I always thought that was part of SAFE coin and its unfolding. But it would have to value all the parameters.

Yes it was OpenLibernet…now a dead link. I did download the whitepaper, but seems corrupted unfortunately.

Download corrupted or content of paper corupted?

yes…

I’m sure someone will design a new coin eventually on SAFE that incentivises network expansion

But would it need to be a new coin or just an addition to the way basic way people already earn coin? If SAFE is to provide a true internet 2, it should replace the nodes and infrastructure of the network with end user owned/controlled open source hardware and software. A billion new phones a year is a great start, lets cut their cord and make them provider free. These phones will soon enough be made from graphene processors (or so it appears) which may provide enough of a leap to outright replace data centers and any real advantage they provide to the current internet. Although it seems we could already do this with current tech the greater battery life and speed/density of what is coming could help quite a bit.

There is obviously a very deliberate effort to centralize the current internet to de-fang it and get it under the control of traditional centers of power. But to centralize it is to make it less than useless and turn it into a mechanism of downright oppression. In this light it would see that the progression of MaidSAFE type decentralizing tech is inevitable, if we are to have any kind of life that any of us would want to live.

There may come a point where the public is beggining to outright demand the removal of cable/telco from areas, and that they be barred from spectrum etc. The represent an obsolete aproache. if we do this my hope is that we don’t just buy them off so they live to fight again another day. They have been very malignant entities, (as has the recent stock market regime and its culture ) and losses are in order to set precedent on funding malignant ventures.

1 Like

Alive and well at http://www.openlibernet.org/

1 Like