Swap 📖 Share your fav book

Hello Safers!
Was thinking about a way to involve the community to share values, ideas and knowledge .
And imo there’s no better way to inspire other people’s lives than through books :open_book:
Books are the best way for knowledge to flow freely
— So I got a new idea :bulb:
I created this topic so you can mention/share the books that changed or inspired you. You may also ask for suggestions so others can help you
The goal is to make this space ideal for discussions/learning/sharing/confronting on books.

Hope you’ll find this useful. If this works well here, maybe could turn it into an Safe-app
-just an experiment-

12 Likes

The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who’ll get me a book I ain’t read.

Abraham Lincoln

3 Likes

Suggestion

Book: Zero Marginal Cost Society
Author: Jeremy Rifkin

Was a great book that left a lasting impression on me in the way I see what could come down the pike. Also the last book I officially read. Other than that I’ve listened to a few audio books and mostly read information on the internet. Looking forward to possibly reading something good over the winter, so.

Request

If I could make a request anything that is about the future of online music or how music platforms have changed or will change would be neat. I know @JimCollinson comes from this industry :slightly_smiling_face: so any suggestion would be neat.

4 Likes

One of my fav books is “Sapiens, a brief history of humankind” by Yuval Noah Harari

It amazed me for its simplicity at describing the transformation of our society together with our values. The explanation of human history was so interesting and fascinating. It definitely opened my mind

8 Likes

My Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

1 Like
4 Likes

This is true. Unless you have discreet modules with agreed APIs then adding engineers to an existing module will just slow down the process. We have suffered from that as well at times. If we look at most successful software products/modules they are done best with 3-4 (at times 2-3) dedicated capable Engineers.
As long as the big picture is known to all then modular code is OK, if the big picture is too complex or misunderstood then more Engineers will kill it.

3 Likes

This is an interesting book on lateral thinking with the warning not to follow through

https://xkcd.com/how-to/

4 Likes

Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

images%20(1)

A bit old, but still one of the best book I’ve ever read, mind opening…

4 Likes

Interesting, will take a look.
I see that it analyses intelligence and consciousness through philosophical approach. Does it describe also the functioning of the brain and the signal transmission’s system? Was looking for a book which explains brain also through a practical neurological analysis

1 Like

Hofstadter being a cognitive scientist, takes a more high level approach, so no strictly phisiological descriptions. He has an extremely interesting and seminal theory about the arise of consciousness as a high level construct of neurological processes (what he describe as a ‘strange loop’, a feedback loop). He describes that through very powerful analogies with biological systems, like ant colonies (hello SAFE network!!), and parallels to similar investigations in art (Escher), music (Bach), and logic (Gödel).

4 Likes

Excellent thread!

One of my fave 'novel’s (quotes are needed): Trout Fishing in America, by Richard Brautigan.

Weird. Oddball. Beautiful. Absurd. Honest. Was a total “You can write like that!?” moment for me. And always makes me want to write. Which is how I actually came across SAFE in the first place: Using PtP to reward content creation freely available (I’ve a book I wrote waiting in the wings for the network to get upppp :stuck_out_tongue: )

11 Likes

Oh gosh, I’m not sure I do have any recommendations for that I’m afraid. Certainly I never found anything like it in my time.

It’s a labyrinthine, monopolistic, somewhat shadowy and often impenetrable industry, particularly in the area of publishing, which in my experience is what constrains change and (currently) determines progress of music platforms.

I think there is probably a gap in the market for an intrepid investigative journalist!

But if you find something, let me know, I’d be interested in reading it too.

on an adjacent note, this comes recommended:

1 Like

Two series of novels by E.E. Doc Smith that I read as a young lad was the Lensman series (first space opera) 7 Novels and the Skylark series 4 Novels. Both written a long time ago

Both excellent series in my opinion

https://www.goodreads.com/series/49225-lensman

https://www.goodreads.com/series/54701-skylark

1 Like

Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, was a revelation. He explains in detail how and why our brains make erroneous decisions. A long thought provoking enjoyable read.

3 Likes

If you like both Kahneman and Hararri, than check this one. It is awesome. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40858227-humans

1 Like

Did someone read “Hacking Darwin”?
Spot it was in the Bill Gate’s list. Looks like a interesting essay on the future of genetics engineering and its social/moral implications

1 Like

Suggestion
Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

It’s an amazingly captivating read and a very interesting food for thought.
Anyone can search for the book desc and amazon links etc, however this is a very basic and essential chart that comes from this book and ideology model:

Request
If anyone would suggest me essential books to get started on decentralized solutions.
I discovered SAFE recently and would love to be able to contribute to the SAFE project.

3 Likes

‘Mastering Bitcoin’ would have to be one of those.