Survivalism and prepping

Yeah, well. If you want to be a “prepper” I advise you to stay away from camping gear. Get yourself a couple of good fishing nets, an axe and a piece of flint. And most of all, practice actually using them.

3 Likes

Thanks. An axe and some flint is a great plan. I know how to catch fish with a handline but unfortunately there’s more chance of catching a cold in this city (and having that misdiagnosed) When it comes to a power supply camping/fishing gear is perfect as its cheap and portable…no need for heavy leisure batteries, huge panels, regulators, inverters or a load of annoying wires to trip over as I move it quickly from the path of approaching zombies… :crazy_face:

If you want to be a prepper and get real advice about what works and what doesn’t then you want to subscribe to Lars and his Survival Russia channel. https://www.youtube.com/c/survivalrussia Its awesome.

I have a feeling @Sascha and Lars would get on well. A saw is more useful than an axe, though.

3 Likes

You told me about that channel before, and it’s pretty cool, even if I’m not really into survivalism or prepping as such. I just like nature and no-nonsense beings like chickens. I have a hard time dealing with lies, regardless of their color.

I think I’d go for an axe, if I had to chose. A saw is great, but it’s a bitch to sharpen. I could be wrong, though. My saw runs on gasoline. But I guess the elitist Freemasons and Satanists and what have you won’t be selling gas and chain oil when they take over the world.

2 Likes

Interesting channel thanks I will watch some of Lars’s videos. I’m more into preparation than being a prepper - at 17 I had enough of people and went to live in the woods. When I started I was badly packed, up a freezing hilltop in the rain in Wales in December and quickly learned a lot about what not to do whilst managing not to die from hypothermia. Eventually I was given some very good instruction in basic hunting/fishing with catapults and handlines…fires and cooking, collecting clean water from the inlet in cattle troughs and all sorts…I ended up with a brilliant kit I could carry about…Fast forward to 1000 years later and although there have been boats and plenty of hard earned lessons along the way for a number of reasons I am now on dry land with a roof over my head and counting my blessings in a big city…
Solar panels are such a normal part of boat life - expecting power outages without one seems ridiculous. So that’s a start. A burkey water filter is next on the list and maybe a distiller but this stuff is expensive so I’m glad there’s still some time - I’m aiming to be as prepared as possible by September - if the cyber malarkey doesn’t drop till November that’s a bonus…
So when it comes to survival skills in a city - dried goods and lighting/heating/power are the essentials. I have a duel fuel stove but prefer the tiny alcohol burners as they are a lot more economical - I agree that gas and chain oil are likely to be in short supply when the fan is fully engaged in waste dispersal…
All the people I know who are miles from anyone with their own water supplies and food solutions have clearly made some excellent choices in their lives…fishing with nets and keeping chickens sounds awesome…

1 Like

To be honest, all that stuff sounds a bit hipstery, for lack of a better word, to me. A hole in the ground makes a well for drinking water. You need a shovel and time. A living tree makes a fire for cooking food and boiling water. You need an axe, flint, some scrap steel, and time. Learning to use this stuff takes, you guessed it, Time. As in years or decades, not weeks or months. Another thing that’s needed is space.

I don’t know where the idea that guns are for shooting people comes from. Possibly television. Guns are primarily good for killing your food and/or other animals that want to eat the food you grow.

1 Like

Thats great advice but you’re right it needs the space. I’ve never dug a well but I have used a flint and am able to light fires - I’ve never tried a living tree for fuel and although I’m really interested in how that works I won’t be doing that.

I can understand that a Berkey sounds hipsterish to you - but the water supply here is already awful and although shungite has helped a lot I would rather have the facility to filter rainwater/lpondwater - and the stuff from the taps if its still guaranteed…its already less and less appealing by the day but thankfully its still available…

Preach it brother :slight_smile:
Watching Lars’s videos (could take a while) will tell you that hipsterish is the last thing this guy is and his philosophy is very much “Do what you can with what you have got”.
He is sponsored by nobody and if he recommends a tool or bit of kit its because he has tried it himself (and usually bought it himself) and he is happy it works. And if it doesnt, he is not shy about saying so. There is a LOT more to the channel than “Survival”. May have started that way but he covers rural Russian life, fixing bikes, cars and his assortment of interesting vehicles and how to live in the Great Outdoors with minimal impact. He is not slow to chop down a tree if it is required but living where he does, trees are not scarce. And he is always looking for “dead standing” cos they burn best.

I have no comment on @ElsieDee 's water supply other to say I am from Glasgow where the tap water is beautiful and every time you take a drink, you KNOW its the first time these molecules have gone down anyones throat. Unlike London, where I am told you are lucky if you are only the fifth person to drink that water. Glasgow water is so pure we can put it straight into our car radiators. If you see someone drinking bottled water in Glasgow, they are obviously a poser with more money than sense.

2 Likes

You see a tree growing in the forest. You cut it down and split it down the middle. You let it dry for a year or so, depending on the climate. You stack pieces of the tree on top of each other and light them. Cooking stove!

If you don’t let the wood dry, you will need to cut down two trees to get the same amount of energy. More work. Not good.

I’m not giving advice. All I’m doing is saying what objective reality has been, is, and will be.

Here is a piece of advice, though. Get some good plastic and metal buckets. Those are practical and they don’t grow on trees. Oh, and make sure you have plenty of salt.

You go for tap water and magical stones. I’ll keep using my good old hole in the ground. It just needs a new wooden lid every ten years or so.

Like I said, @Southside, I like Lars’s videos. But there are live old “Lars’s” around here that I try to learn from in person, as long as they are not too drunk to talk. The moonshine is strong around these parts…

3 Likes

You are a lucky guy

You are a lucky guy

2 Likes

I don’t know about “lucky”. You all probably think I’m some weird kind of extremist. I’m not. I’d say the most unusual thing about me is that I combine modern (city) education with country (old) living. That’s it.

1 Like

No, I never took you for any sort of extremist. I’m jealous of the fresh eggs and fish. Not jealous of the hard work it takes to secure them though…

1 Like

Thanks. So the green wood does needs curing - thats a really good method and sounds simple - but like you say it demands space and time…both are in short supply here…

I appreciate the advice about salt, buckets and plastic too. Is there anything specific these are for? I hope it doesn’t involve the axe. I never got my head around dispatching anything. Maybe the right environment and a bit of starvation would help - However if anyone comes at me with any ill intent - particularly involving a needle - I will have no difficulty catapulting them at close range somewhere really effective but non fatal…and moving myself out of the way as I was advised to do when given my first deadshot and a handful of lead pellets to keep in my back pocket way back in the last century…

Digging a well makes so much sense and I know you’re right but unfortunately its not practical in London - apart from hitting a gas pipe or an electricity cable - I could strike lucky and locate the mains - just before being arrested for criminal damage, testing positive for dissent and given a really short life sentence. I think I will pass on that.

The shungite has been really helpful removing the indelicate flavour of chlorine and heavy metal - not surprising when it can also reduce radioactivity… but now the water is also full of pissed out covid vaccines…and unlike the injections manufacturing spike proteins - Berkey filters help eliminate viruses - so having one on board is a good plan even if the supply isn’t compromised by stupid stunts…

Here are a couple of interesting articles regarding shungite and fullerenes…if you’re located anywhere near Karelia im sure your water is even better than the Highland tap juice in Scotland. Unlike London it is not filtered through at least 5 peoples kidneys first. Which must be a relief as statistically speaking some of them are shedders and tories…

A deadshot! Thanks to the poster on a forum elsewhere for the photo. From what he wrote I was lucky because the first thing I was told was if I wanted to keep my thumb never ever put it on that circle…

I don’t know what kind of apocalypse you’re expecting, but cramming myself into a city like London is the last thing I’d do. The area around Chernobyl might be a decent place, though. The hipsters and the mystics will die out soon enough wherever they are, but even rational people are scared of radiation, and wildlife is flourishing there since the humans got out. I’ll take a little radiation over overpopulation any day.

Here is a channel @Southside might enjoy too.

This guy’s repeating crossbows are pretty amazing.

1 Like

I can see how Chernobyl could seem quite idyllic by comparison. But we have plenty of MMW radiation being pumped out to activate all the insidious nanotech…turns out a ‘5g’ phone doesn’t even have the chip installed just costs a third extra…so What kind of apocalypse? The entirely contrived type - benefitting its psychopathic architects…assisted by planned pandemics, laboratory derived viral strains… biowarfare agents, propagandist pressure for depopulation via nanotech infested pathogen producing gene therapy jabs…and a predictable upcoming wave of mortalities as a result of the uptake…

And just when everyone was accustomed to a manufactured health crisis…a cyber pandemic to mess with all resources and signal the start of a global financial crash. That kind.

I’m quite surprised to find myself here too but for a number of reasons will still count my blessings for the roof over my head and proximity to loved ones at a time like this…

Hipsters, mystics, naysayers, skeptics, conservatives liberals rationalists nationalists…you name it. All are considered ‘useless eaters’ and in line for a culling unless they stop arguing with each other, and unite to oppose the takeover by a cluster of cranks hell bent on turning the whole planet into a hideous elitist resort…

Please don’t hijack the thread with off-topic word salad.

1 Like

That was quite a garnish. Word salad :rofl: I would have added in my response regarding your comment about the increased mortality risks in mysticism…but as of the past 24 hours the edit facility only gives me 3 minutes…it used to be at least a week…

Anyway…my point was that the tyrants orchestrating all this death and destruction view all of us as equally dispensable and are attempting to proceed as planned…made alot easier by all the squabbling over whether they really want to kill billions of us off or not…

Its been 3 minutes and I can no longer edit the previous post to add in this link that arrived on my phone whilst I was thumbing out the response…no smart phones back then but thankfully the good advice I was given with my deadshot meant i did not disable any digits…