Summarize what exactly MaidSafe is for conversations lasting > 10 minutes < 60 minutes

Instead of just reading abstracts; I hope to get through this by tomorrow morning. (actually took 2 days to get through it all, three pages thrice, a couple of pages twice, etc.)

Post number 4 is the summary

Plus a dive into this:

Amazing Everything explained in one place, While reading each line is important; the really good stuff is the diagrams 1-28 and things get really good on page 6 in the texts Summary of the Invention

I hope it’s alright that I am reviewing this document; I can see how it might be awkward to flash this thing on the net, but it’s so thorough and easy to understand. Now for “Peer to Peer” Public Key Infrastructure

I’ve realized that if anyone wants to really get to know what MaidSafe is all about is to actually read these docs that are linked to above, they are in black and white the process of what is happening; and that code has been written with each detail elaborated on with code; I’m not finished though the prerequisites are real Gems, to skip those is to skip the whole point, and to ask so many questions that are right there in front of us.

Though the engineering part - the actual coding part is another universe of its own

The papers:

MaidSafe Papers

6 Likes

David also mentioned ‘Security of the MaidSafe Vault Network

1 Like

I got that one its in the picture :wink: second one from the bottom

The patent and the “Peer to Peer” Public Key Infrastructure are pre requisities to Autonomous Network

So I’m being thorough and going through each document as it instructs. I spent the whole past 24 days studying c++ and public-private key pair cryptography and writing them into code; now I’m summarizing MaidSafe to the best of my studies. If I read it all I will know it all; I hope so anyway, we shall see. Anyway… Back to this. I imagine I’ll have networking knowledge quite thoroughly after this; at least a strong knowledge base to go from, this way making apps will be more simple and direct.

4 Likes

MAID SAFE
Technical Presentation for Conversations

Topics:

MAID Massive Array of Internet Disks

MAID is an acronym for Massive Array of Internet Disks. The planet Earth is abundant in computational resources in the form of mobile devices, massive servers, and home computers. This is a massive infrastructure which operates independently. When connected through a networking device to a routing device this independent piece of computational power can communicate to others’ of its kind, other computers! Understanding this, imagine that these computers were connected at the most fundamental level.

Computational power is built on silicon chips, on copper circuit boards packaged and distributed for individual and enterprise use. Combine them and you have the sum of all of their parts. This is what MAID is for. The protocol that MaidSafe has organized and assembled into code does exactly this.

Assembling this MAID is a task that allows for a user to optionally choose to allocate to this network. The allocation which we mention is in the form of hard disk space, the processing capacities required to process and transmit data from the CPU and the RAM, and the bandwidth present in users’ local network. Setting up a Vault accomplishes this. These Vaults are the computing systems that are active on the network. Based on the protocol the Vaults are ranked and the network has knowledge of the state of Vaults.

Active Vaults act as nodes on SAFE Network. They are chosen to store data, to process interactions of data, and also to validate other Vaults using a method which randomizes and secures random selection of a Vault. In the process of data processing these Vaults are actually Data Managers. And as Data Managers each Vault maintains the integrity of the Network. Now one might assume that this could be disastrous; however, the level of data that is possessed by each Vault in the SAFE Network is not very high, in fact no one Vault will possess the whole of all of the data, and therefore the level of trust required to allow a Vault the privilege to handle your data lies only in the facts which are: the Data Managing Vault is Active, and has enough processing power and space in the hard disk to process an interaction.

The handling of data transmitted over the SAFE Network takes place through some quite important methods. These methods carry out a task of separating data into pieces, encrypting that data, and mapping that data before distributing each piece called a Chunk independently across the SAFE Network. This ensures that any data stored, processed, and received has not been tampered with, seen by those without permission, or deleted unintentionally.

Each Vault is interacting with other Vaults using the existing infrastructure of the internet today. The internet had been originally designed to work in a manner that is decentralized, though the protocols and the hardware had not been up to par in order to host MAID. The hardware technology existing today and the existing infrastructures allow for any computation machine with a networking device that is running the MaidSafe client to be able to establish a direct connection to other Vaults in the network. The chain of connections to Vaults in the network is what creates the internet. So all Vaults eventually will only communicate with each other, managing each others’ connections and communication transmissions.

This is accomplished through the client listening and calling out to other clients on a continuous basis. When a call and listen occurs the two Vaults establish a direct connection between each other. This is all it takes to establish the network, two computation devices to desire decentralized interconnection and they will be paired. This evolutionary facet of SAFE Network utilization illuminates to us an interaction which allows us to have a network with Secure Access For Everyone.

SAFE Secure Access for Everyone

Since the design for SAFE Network includes several innovative and rigorously reviewed and tested methods in cryptography and obfuscation the MAID permits all people to connect with total security, privacy, and freedom. When a person accesses the SAFE Network they receive a packet of information. This packet must be decrypted using this person’s personal private key. Then that packet is encrypted again and sent to the MAID where the Vaults acting as Data Managers will validate this person and all of the access that this person has enabled since their start. This is remarkable because all people access the network using a key which will never be transmitted on the open network.

Once a person is authenticated in this thoroughly secured manner, they can do many things such as put a file onto the network to be stored. This file could be shared privately, shared publicly, and also kept private for just the user to keep on the network. Any file this person uploads could be accessed in the previously mentioned ways from anywhere in the world. The file can also be in any format, therefore sharing pictures, videos, html files, documents of any kind, software, and messages could each be stored securely.

Each file goes through the identical process as we described and understood in MAID; therefore, people assuredly have access to their files in any location around the globe. This opens up the doors to so many possibilities. Since the stored files could be of any nature developers can use the network to build applications for so many things such as web browsing, remote file storage, messaging, VoIP, video conferencing, social networking - basically anything that exists on the Internet today but with privacy, security and freedom built in from the start. Because of the MAID, users of the applications will be able to gain access from any device and if that device breaks or is corrupted, the data will still be safe and sound, accessible from any other device.

Anyone’s private data remains their own. We know that the protocols in MAID allow the SAFE Network to keep each person’s privacy first. Therefore files stored on SAFE Network by anyone are their own. It is the person who owns the files who decides how they are used, and who can see them.

Proof of Resource - Personal and Enterprise Utilization

To stabilize the network, MaidSafe provides its own ecosystem. Each person receives in return exactly what they provide to the network. As a person allocates their computational resources to the network through a Vault, they will be capable of using that space within the network. To facilitate this balance, the network uses a token to compensate for the resources being provided by each vault called Safecoin. People maintaining those vaults will then be able to upload their data correlated to the Safecoins they are earning. The more tokens a person has, the more resources are available for that person to use. If a person or business wants to upload more data then they are providing resources for, they can easily obtain more resources by increasing the resources they are providing to the network or obtaining more tokens from another person via trade or exchanging with cash.

The way in which the network compensates Vaults and the people running them is extremely granular. If someone only has access to a small device with minimal power, they will still be awarded safecoin for their participation. If a chunk of someone else’s data is able to be retrieved from this device, they are providing the resource. The more reliable a device storing data chunks is to the network, the higher the network will rank the Vault on the device and the more safecoin the person will earn.

In addition to issuing tokens to Vaults providing resource, the network’s ecosystem issues safecoin tokens to resourceful applications. This token mechanism for developers is the first in its kind and has a lot of potential for driving open source development. Rather than keeping application code behind closed doors, builders on the safe network can opt to keep their code open and earn safecoin for their efforts. There will be no need for open source developers to place advertisements or other distracting methods of sponsoring their work within applications anymore. There’s a lot of opportunity to set a precedent for prioritizing open source and clutter free software. If an application proves to be resourceful for the network and the people using it the network will compensate the builders in a similar programmatic fashion as vaults providing resources. Developers earn a living by default on the safe network.

This Massive Array of Internet Disks which allows for Secure Access for Everyone compensates the people directly for the resources which are provided to that network. This network inherently fosters wealth aggregation in a passive format, since anyone on the planet with a computational device and a networking device could provide useful resources to the SAFE network, and this network recognizes that and directly reciprocates.

It is important to note, that MaidSafe is all GPL, General Public License, it is a truly open source project. This means that the entire project is available to anyone on the planet to use. The team has been working thoroughly and rigorously to take on this monolithic task of implementing total Privacy, Security, and Freedom each step of the way. The goal of accomplishing this has been paramount and has priority number one on this team’s to do list. Concluding the release of the software the MaidSafe team will take on the role as everyone else on the network, and make their own applications, and participate in the network completely detached from their previous engagement of making this technology happen. The MaidSafe team will open the network possessing no SafeCoins, and will be earning them alongside everyone else just like everyone else. Project SAFE and the SafeCoins are for the people and this is the people’s network and it is built for the people to be owned and managed by the people.

Done

thanks to @ioptio , @frabrunelle , @culexevilman , for contributing to the text and reviewing; and @dirvine , for confirmations; this is a good one.

11 Likes

It will render transparent regimes of censorship, propaganda and secrecy thereby cutting the cords of enclosure. It will make decentralized distributed society possible and likely.

This one must be independent of politics.
Though thank you for feed back!

2 Likes

I’m not good with photoshop; though I think the idea is good

ah what is it?

Kademlia node structure:
Learn about it here - Peer Routing Table

5 Likes

Dude, you’re AWESOME for doing all this!!!

Keep it up!!

Can we put a link to this on the FAQ?

1 Like

Go ahead :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @happybeing :smile:

I put the link for the thread in the comments. I was more referring to putting a link in the “Links & Resources” section of the FAQ.

I’m not sure where you mean. I thought you were referring to this FAQ which you can add to either by creating a new topic, or by editing the OP of an existing topic.