Streaming large video files with a distributed network

… I… just can’t keep arguing with you. The amount of things you just said that are either flat out wrong or use manipulative language to sound right is troublesome. And what’s so sad to me is that if you’re this delusional, we’ll create an ad free system. Your inability to research and accept actual stats is unfortunate to your cause.

I would love a sustainable system without advertising, but you’re just plain wrong here, man.

3 Likes

I don’t think so, present the counter stats yourself. We have sponsorship having to be rescued so many times. Tivo- it didn’t need to be watered down by a court.

People chose to pay for cable over ads on network TV because it was initially ad free that was the draw but the goal was just to bait and switch once people had not choice and force them to pay to watch ads. And what we got as a result was fox news etc. Somehow it got even more belligerent when they could make people pay to watch spam. Spam is not value added, its the destruction of the usefulness of a medium, it means medium capture.

Recently the sponsor industry was complaining that the internet was destroying sponsorship and we needed an American TV tax on the internet (which they were trying to sponsor into law,) because Americans must pay for TV and should not have options. That didn’t work and we got the ramped up attack on neutrality.

The ad industry was recently admitting that demand creation was dead- solution, get Google to allow sponsors to directly optimize search or spam search.

We had the ascendency of Netflix over both ad supported and ad plus subscription platforms Hulu and Hulu Plus (yes to the point that Hulu got multiple reboots despite its rich parents) because people

We have what the market preferred and the successes. Netzero- fail as did the whole approach. People only accept this when there are no better options. Allow ads on the platform and turns it into a sponsored platform and turns the content into propaganda, it becomes Fox news. SOPA/CISP/PIPA/MPAA/RIAA these are consistent, these are the same people, this is supply side society (which is unsustainable depravity and guaranteed to implode.)

People like me arguing for this will lead to ad free platforms? As if that were a problem. Netflix is that but its compromised by content strike, recycling sponsored compromised content, Wall St sponsor influence (notice there are less good documentaries on Netflix?) So having an ad free Project SAFE would be a problem. That is ridiculous. You are arguing to compromise the platform with spam and sponsorship. The pro spam position is not legitimate.

Russell, good info in this doc here (which I had read and forgot at least twice). I just read it again and thought I should link it from here:

http://maidsafe.net/SystemDocs/user_perspective/app_devs.html

App developers pass their Wallet Address to farmers and get 10% of the GET fee (basically making referrals to their own content, so to speak).
Supposedly there will be some logic that will discourage the hacking of the apps (to prevent that apps can be patched to pass a different Wallet Address and so on), but for open source apps that won’t be possible (as anyone will be able to recompile the app and set their own Wallet Address to point to their own copy of data they copied from elsewhere).

This is just like copied and re-posted content issue, and solvable by a reputation system. Users in general do care about rewarding the real authors, its in the users’ interests to reward those doing the work they like and value, to encourage support, development, new products and just feel good about the exchange.

For content, reputation can be handled by content related apps: galleries, youtube-alikes etc.

For apps, by rival app-stores, which will also sink and swim by reputation (as well as usefulness).

1 Like

I just try to “round up” topics so that people who stumble across them don’t have to open 35 tabs.
Yes, it is solvable by a reputation system, but there is no Reputation System yet, so there’s no solution at the moment.
(I saw someone on that thread on reputation systems proposed that up-votes cost money, like that would prevent anyone from buying likes).

1 Like

Cant believe I missed this one…discusses video streaming, meshnet…

1 Like