Storj - THERE IS NO CLOUD: it’s just someone else’s computer

Word twisting the truth? Used for rewards in Test Group B, and paying for apps, bounties, and community work. Its all there in the doc we setup in 2014. Please find me the specific posts where we specifically promised to burn all Storjcoin. As far as I’m concerned its a rumor that is been going around for a while.

Probably in 2014. Now in 2016, that is a terrible idea. We are VC funded have no use for another crowdfund. While we have the option to in the terms set in 2014, the short and long answer is no.

Participation is free. driveshare.org Says it right there on the first sentence. We sent some ground rules for Test Group B a few months ago when SJCX was 1/10 what it is now. We will see this Test Group to completion before making changes to the rules with our community’s approval.

As a comment here in the first paragraph you are faulting me for not following something that I didn’t say. Then in the last paragraph you are faulting me for following rules that we did set with our community. Clearly there are communication issues here.

I will happily continue to respond to respectful questions. Some of you might think I’m the boogieman, but I just want to live in a world with decentralized data.

If I’m wrong I apologize obviously,

I never said that “all storj coins was promised to be burned” I just said that I read a forum thread a while ago in which u decided to keep a portion of the coins that didn’t sell in the IPO. There where lots of complaints about this… Maybe it was a troll or unjustified for some reason, but it at least sounded and still sounds dodgy.

I believe ur exact phrasing was " We are keeping them until we know what to do with them, it would be unwise to make any rash decisions atm."

About the crowdfunidng thing, I distinctly remember ur forum thread just a couple of months ago discussing the possibility of another IPO… Are u saying that didn’t happen as well?

And about the fact that users are forced to pay in order to participate, I take ur responds as that u have moved away from that approach recently and that now people can participate without having to first buy coins worth several hundred dollars. Great :slight_smile:

Edit: Apparently people are still forced to pay about £700 or something. So again, ur reply was misleading at best. Reddit - Dive into anything

In regards to the threads mentioned above. It will be hard to find now as the they probably have been deleted but I might give it a try nevertheless.

Edit2: And I would just like to make another point. The fact that people are forced to pay to participate doesn’t really make sense until one takes into account the fact that a large amount of coins will be distributed as rewards to participants, according to ur own words. One could assume that perhaps it may appear as if that then enables u to easily set up lots of cheap servers and grab a huge portion of that reward for urself. Why else would u place a roadblock for people to participate? A road block which btw is a very tall one.

I have been around for years, I have seen it all. I am not saying this is #the truth" I’m just speaking my mind and others can use any information they want to make what they see as the best decision for themselves.

1 Like

Mostly misunderstanding inflated by trolls. More like keep as in use to seed the network with data during farming, test group, bounties, provide free data storage for new users (dropbox kinda deal), etc. Someone has to keep these coins until they can be properly used by the system. Keep does not mean these are my personal coins. I don’t even have direct access. They are in a multisig wallet.

Yup once you burn them they are gone. I’d hate to go to a point 6 months from now when people say hey we could grow the platform 500x if we gave new users free space like Dropbox. Who is going to accept contracts for free data? Nobody. Too bad we burned all the coins we could have used for a project like that. As I said before “We are keeping them until we know what to do with them, it would be unwise to make any rash decisions atm.” We are not going to make crazy decisions without a good sit down with the community.

Look if you want to participate (using your wording here) that is free. If you want to get paid money from the Test Group you have to follow the rules that were set out. Its all outlined in the page I linked to above, there is no misleading. You have three options:

1. Run the software for fun and help provide data. No montary rewards, just feel good.
  2. Follow the rules of the Test Group B. You are 6 months late to the party so that comes at a steeeeeep price.
  3. Wait for Test Group C with updated and reasonable rules.

On edit 2 it doesn’t work like traditional mining where all the coins go out in the first few days. Even with the accidentally steep roadblock(again I agree) there is 3 PB and 1,100 users online. Please let me know where I can find a few PBs on the cheap. Thats like 30% of Dropbox’s capacity in 2012. In the early days of Test Group B I was up there, now I’m just a fly on the windshield.

Okay, fair enough. I hope u understand how that looks tho from an investor perspective and the fact that they are in multisig simply means that u and ur college buddy both have a key, they are technically in ur possession and ur free to do whatever u want, it’s not like StorJ is a DAO or anything. It’s a problem for me at least. i can’t speak for anyone else.

And even tho u may of a legitimate reason for keeping them, as u do have a fair point. It doesn’t take away the fact that some had the impression that they would be burned, for then to be told that they weren’t going to be most likely.

I understand, but this looks scary tho from an investor perspective. How can I know if those coins existence will negatively affect my position or not :confused: It’s like a tiny portion is in circulation then u and ur buddy over there hold a mountain of them which u are undecided on what to do with. Will u care about my bank account or ur own? I’m guessing ur own. Again this is just my opinion, I could be reading to much into this.

Ah I see, so it’s essentially only the “staking” bit which requires the tokens and everyone can install the software, create an account and test everything out freely. If so then it’s not as bad as I thought. Still a cause for concern tho in my opinion at least. Essentially the “reward” scheme seems like an obvious way to cipher of tokens from the IPO and if I had malicious intent this is exactly how I would go about it. Could be a coincidence of course. Again just my opinion and I could be reading way to much into this. Perhaps my years in Btc have made me to skeptical.

Guess we have to take ur word on that one. I find it hard to believe that u and ur buddies aren’t milking those rewards for what it’s worth tho. The thing is, how do we know that it’s even done fairly…It all falls on ur word, the way this has been setup, at least in my opinion would give u the opportunity to take advantage of it. Again just my humble opinion.

woow, I am amazed you guys got 3PB, that is alot of storage :slight_smile:, as someone working in the storage industry - I can’t wait to see alternative options like safe/storj. That is likely why you got vc funding - congrats on so many users.

woow, I am amazed you guys got 3PB, that is alot of storage :slight_smile:, as someone working in the storage industry - I can’t wait to see alternative options like safe/storj. That is likely why you got vc funding - congrats on so many users.

I’m as amazed as you are. Truly a wonder space to be in.

1 Like

stay civil and friendly @BIGbtc

1 Like

It was a brilliant move for Storj to keep some of their coins to fund their project. If Maidsafe would have done the same, they would be on a much better financial footing right now.

Imagine if Maidsafe kept ten percent of the Maidsafe coins from the crowdsale to fund development. Those coins would be worth a couple million US dollars right now.

they have 5% for dev work earmarked if I’m not mistaken.

My history dealing with Super3 shows him to be the exact opposite of what you claim him to be. He has always kept his word and has gone out of his way to help many different communities. He has given back.

Storj is just as important as SAFE Network and anyone seeking to bring down Storj is not actually helping achieve the overall goal of security, privacy and freedom which Storj through a different more mainstream friendly approach is also trying to achieve.

If you don’t like Storj don’t use it. Don’t attack the developers or founders of important projects on a personal level.

2 Likes

Ah! OMG A skilled googler. Oh and by the way, I like to point out the obvious and I do it well. Did I strike a nerve Shawn?

Their is alot of talk about azure Microsoft lately, which is a cloud from apps, every alt coin is saying the have a deal with azure…

HTTP isn’t a “market” but it is a protocol. The Maid agent acts as a gateway to their network, and HTTP then runs over that gateway.

And 2% of what? Desktops and laptops? The discussion isn’t about what OSs are running on clients. Although, now that I think of it, client devices in general, are increasingly running Linux-derived OSs such as Android: Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia

And I doubt that most Windows users will tolerate the performance impact of a vault (perhaps an unwanted bot) running on their computers (although many won’t know it’s there).

So in the beginning, when the network is small, just share cat videos, and leave the illicit, treasonous, and terroristic activities until we get up to the 2 million nodes or so that Tor has.

Ah! OMG A skilled googler. Oh and by the way, I like to point out the obvious and I do it well. Did I strike a nerve Shawn?

You know why I don’t throw stones? Its a small space. Someone who worked with you contacted me about who you are and how unprofessional you are.

HTTP isn’t a “market” but it is a protocol. The Maid agent acts as a gateway to their network, and HTTP then runs over that gateway.

And 2% of what? Desktops and laptops? The discussion isn’t about what OSs are running on clients. Although, now that I think of it, client devices in general, are increasingly running Linux-derived OSs such as Android: Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia

And I doubt that most Windows users will tolerate the performance impact of a vault (perhaps an unwanted bot) running on their computers (although many won’t know it’s there).

We have explored the gateway approach, but I think its best to run native. That being said we might use the same approach if/when we start introducing non-HTTP transport layers for in network communication. For example, if a farmer goes down and we need to replace that copy they had, might be useful to have farmer to farmer to communication in something that is quick and handles NAT punching well.

Too funny… interesting such a pro can’t take a little critique of their tacky style.

The devs will not receive their share of Safecoin’s until after the network is live and Safecoin is implemented into the network.

I’ve been following Storj and SAFE relatively lightly for a couple of years.

Around the time of Storj’s crowdsale I remember a LTB podcast interview of one of the Storj founders saying that SAFE and Storj aren’t competitors, that they could build Storj on top of SAFE. And when I saw their marketing website, it led me to think about it as analogous to:

Storj = Dropbox
SAFE = Amazon Cloud Services

But in June, @super3 posted here:

… saying…

Our core focus is to provide easy to use tools for developers to build apps on top of a decentralized storage network. We provide a service we call Bridge (that the service you sign up on the website), which helps simply that process

So SAFE and Storj look to be competing for the same users and my analogy ain’t so great.

Is there a better analogy to think of the two networks?

Storj = Amazon S3
SAFE = Amazon Cloud Services

Is that accurate?

No, SAFEnetwork will do storage first but later also compute. So both really, although the two services are not reality equivalent which means the comparison is only really valid for storage.

4 Likes