Storj DCS

None know the future and unneeded complexity isn’t helpful either IMO.

Ah man @Dimitar I feel we are piling onto you here. But the discussion is good and I think you do this on purpose ya :monkey: (at least I hope you do after writing this :wink: )

6 Likes

My thoughts too. You’re doing good @Dimitar keep pushing!

4 Likes

Naw, man @Dimitar - don’t listen to those guys. You’re full of crap. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

lol … we love ya man

2 Likes

I know it’s always good to have more options and moves. Whether you will use them or not is another question.

People confuse the centralization of property with the centralization of the protocol. If someone owns 30% of the tokens in the network, this does not make the protocol/network centralized. The Ethereum Foundation has a huge amount of ETH, but Ethereum is totally decentralized on protocol level. Don’t be a communist, my friend…

Privacy. Security. Freedom

I am not sure they do and I am sure that centralisation of any part of the system is bad. Holding so much of the cash lets you do things like … forced hard fork, telling the future (your gonna get paid more cause were gonna pay you, no reason) and so on. That’s control.

The control of the money supply is exactly why bitcoin happened, to try and stop manipulation and it looked for a while it might do it.

2 Likes

More aptly, IMO, we don’t want authoritarian or totalitarian control over the network. If the foundation or anyone really wants to change the network, then let them plead with all stakeholders for funds. That gives accountability.

1 Like

I’m not insulting you, of course!

What I’m saying is that communists use this logic - “there should be no people who have more money, because it’s bad for everyone”

1 Like

Anyone can pay the farmers in the Storj network. I can run a Satellite and direct traffic to farmers and pay them. Whether farmers will use my Satellite depends on how much storj I offer them.

1 Like

Now that you mention Chia, I wanted to report what I found when I decided to check it out. I have one rig farming one “plot” with plans to add more plots. You need a fast SSD (at least 360GB) to act as a temporary directory for each plot while it is being created. After that, the plot (now only about 100 GB after compressing) is moved automatically to another drive you stipulate. That drive does not need to be SSD so you can use the cheaper TB level SATA drives for that.

After my first plot was created the software estimated that it would take approximately 3 years for it to earn a reward. A 4TB drive could hold about 30-35 plots, though, so I guess, one machine could narrow down that estimated time frame to about a month or so.

I was astonished at how slick and easy the user interface was. A couple of improvements could be made in the area of error-checking, for example: they should let users know how to stop a plot while it is being created and what happens when you do and also it was not clear to me in the beginning if you needed a total of 360GB space for all the temporary files or 360GB for each plot you are creating (you can create more than one plot at a time if your machine is capable). The answer is that you need that much space for each simultaneous plot you are creating. Other than that the user interface is very intuitive and simple, yet comprehensive and informative.

If anyone is interested I’ll let you know how my little experiment is going later on.

6 Likes

I would love to know, Brahm is an interesting dude. I feel he will be working like mad to make that data useful stuff, but I am not sure he can. Anyway good to keep up with what’s happening. Their business model is very interesting to say the least.

1 Like

Yes, they pay for Repair & Audit:

2 Likes

Will you be shorting during the Bull Market? I prefer you to save your money to buy more MAID :wink:

2 Likes

More gateways, I see…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/storj-launches-storj-dcs-developer-162800425.html

The multi-tenant gateway is deployed in multiple locations around the world which have peering relationships with the large centralized cloud providers, making data migration and hybrid operations much faster and much less expensive. Storj will continue to support locally hosted gateways as a first-class option for those customers who prefer to host their own gateways.

I feel like the gateway is the way most of these ‘decentralized’ projects are moving. First they setup a network which has decentralized properties, then they create centralised gateways off the back of them. They seek to control the gateway, to generate income, just like Google, Facebook, etc, before them. They want to be the new middlemen, between users and their data.

I’m not saying this is unethical or bad business. It is a tried and tested model. However, decentralised it is not. These gateways will seek to monopolise traffic, through sweetners like subsidies, will market themselves as the primary gateway (even taking the project name in storj case) and will work towards centralisation for profit.

5 Likes

As long as users are prepared to pay the put costs, I’m not worried about farmers. If the put cost is high enough to make the farmer some money, they will come. If still they don’t, community members can, as can maidsafe.

Having too much data demand and too little storage supply is a good problem to have, imo. It can be easily addressed. However, not having users and good data is a much tougher and much more important problem to tackle.

Ofc, the put price has to be competitive though, which is really what storj is subsidising here. They are making it artificially cheap to send data through their gateway, to cement their market position as the middleman of choice. While farmers will get paid, their rates haven’t been cut too (although presumably storj dcs could add their own farmers?).

The safe network equivalent to this approach is subsidising put costs, making it cheaper for users to store data. As I said in the link above, I’m not against that tactic, as high put costs could deter good data. Such subsidies would also feed directly into the network, not some maidsafe controlled gateway or some such.

4 Likes

Here you can precisely not know the future because of the humans involved - what will they do next, who knows. Mad old humans.

Whereas with Safe, there will be some actual certainties about the future - your lazy dog photo is safe forever, etc.

3 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: “Isms”