Statistics on the latency between nodes for different network sizes

Estimate about how many lines of code it is now or how many K? Hoping its still the size of DOS 1.0

No clue sorry and its not always a good indication. Bugs destroy that

1 Like

As in fixing a bug can balloon things?

1 Like

Care to weigh in again?

This was a really great post, vaguely remember seeing it but nice to read again. Nice necro!

I wonder what the results would look like with adding ā€˜server centers of populationā€™ ā€¦ server instances could be hosts and centers would look more or less like additional cities. I guess unless the server centers were a high proportion of the network, the chance of a ā€˜rack to rackā€™ hop would be quite smallā€¦ the results for very large networks would probably be similar, but I bet that the initial distribution will be quite server heavy and the early network will have lower latencies as a result.

Server-ā€œserver in a different centerā€ hops will also be close to the ā€˜direct connectionā€™ model, so I would imagine the more accurate result will be a lower latency early network, x1.45 on everything, and as the network grows, a constant /hop malus will phase in (router latency) and some multiplier for the increasing probability of non straight line connections. Still though, these results are quite hopeful, it is better than I would have guessed. A good caching implementation will be key to make the network snappy, and nobody will mind waiting a few seconds to connect to their backed up photos.

How does the number of hops affect data transfer (e.g. large files?) is there some optimization of the routing post-contact? Or is a large number of high latency torrent sources a better mental model?

3 Likes