StarLink - Anyone received offer to purchase yet

I haven’t been following this at all, how does it fit with Safe, and make the network more resilient? Was also wondering if starlink changes how easy mesh networks are, if anyone has an idea?

In time the hope is these can be connected to regardless of borders. For now though we connect to a large network like this and ultimately bypass ISP’s, but in the meantime all our data is encrypted so should not be able to be censored or snooped.
[edit I meant to say, connecting those who cannot make use of the Internet etc. is a big issue and I hope these get us there]

5 Likes

Speculation is that Tesla vehicles will start being equipped with mesh network technology to communicate, not only with each other, but to help facilitate faster Starlink speeds to route some traffic over local mesh networks instead of via satellite. The goal would be to eventually get all cars (not just Tesla) communicating on this mesh network to more easily facilitate self driving cars, and to make a ubiquitous mesh network.

4 Likes

That was with the laser links off. With them on it increases to 10gbs. If upload increases correspondingly it would be 100mbs. And thought I read that ping drops to sub 10ms or 1ms. Also they are going after mobile. I think all this is why Amazon tried to block the drop to lower orbits as it portends lower latency, IOT, real time robots with more cloud assist- and the bandwith to spread into interior spaces in urban locals and mesh with the cars as centers of non duplicative compute power. US telcos tried trying to block as well because their complacency didn’t see the trojan horse coming.
I think its why Bezos announced he is stepping down as CEO at Amazon to focus on Blu Origin.
SpaceX has been such a black hole of momentum for competitors I think its why upstarts in astroid mining yielded to acquisitions and mothballing. Looks like Starlink not only helps fund mars and will help liquidate a bunch of corporate criminal laggard public nuissence garbage like Comcast-AT&T–Verizon but will also get SpaceX to to the golden asteroid Psyche16 first with its trillion x trillion $$ in minerals and per Musk fuel the next gift to his army of activist retail investors.

1 Like

Wouldn’t Starlink put all internet traffic in the hands of Tesla? That could be the bases of something very totalitarian…

If everyone is on it, yeah, but that won’t happen. It’s just another way to avoid any country being able to cut the wires. One more option, and it could be what it takes to enable rural people in some places to participate.

4 Likes

Each geographic cell has a limited number of max connections. As @dask indicated, it is most useful for rural, underserved areas.

1 Like

I got a beta Starlink offer, with pain in my heart I won’t make use of it. My current provider gives internet + tv for the cost of Starlink’s €99. It’s painful to not be able to support this progress at the moment :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

One of the best articles I’ve read about Starlink. Goes into more depth than most write-ups.

2 Likes