Stable Droplet Test Network

This is great about this test, you can upload some files, see if it all works and make sure the Launcher and Demo App are ok. When we have TEST 4 you can test the same things against a P2P net and find out where the pain is.

4 Likes

The droplet network must be running a later binary than testnet3 or community1. I tried to use that launcher (0.4.5) on community1 (i.e.,by substituting the community1 config file for the default) to create an account and it says “waiting for establishing connection with SAFE”. But the old launcher (0.4.3) connects to community1 straight away.

1 Like

Embrace yourselves, dirvine is gonna break the firewall of China.

12 Likes

Rabid ferocity is cool.

Rabidly testing on the droplet network with Windows and Linux launchers. :slight_smile:
Something else I notice is that you can’t run old and new launchers on the same machine at the same time: the second one will not start.

I’ll create a few accounts and let a couple of them sit untouched overnight to see if they survive.

4 Likes

Good. Break em now while you can. :slight_smile: APIs are never easy to get right, but they are harder to change once you leave beta.

4 Likes

Here’s a thought: If this network is entirely droplets then it is no wonder it is faster for the client, as compared to a network consisting of many vaults on consumer broadband. But that means it is not entirely a real-world test for the app developers. They will still need their apps to take a beating on a “P2P” network as @polpolrene called it.

3 Likes

Great to have a stable test network up again!

www.ithanium.safenet

4 Likes

It should be, as when churn handling ack mio etc are in vaults the app devs should see no difference. Otherwise we are dong something wrong :slight_smile: What we are concerned with is that we give the app devs some peace to get to grips with an API and where they can be free of us killing things as we don in network tests. This is why we are super keen not to rock the network with additional vaults / churn etc. and let those teams get to work. We will have our separate vault tests to make sure the experience is as good or better than a a churn free network as this one will be. Anyway that has to be the target in the networking side I feel.

9 Likes

OK, it is to shut them up, while you get back to work. :laughing:

3 Likes

:smiley: No not at all, they are of supreme importance to the project really so we left then at the side of the road for a few weeks there. They should now start creating majic again and thee may be a few things coming that they will like a lot.

Us lot (you included) can trash the living daylights out of network tests though, so we can ensure rock solid small resource process create a whole new eco system for the apps to run on. Not far away now :smiley: so another test maybe 2 who know and we should be in terrific shape here.

12 Likes

I’ve been doing less trashing as I learned more how to avoid crashes.

The responsiveness on this network, client_test_2, is much better, and that has to be in part because of the vaults all being droplet-hosted.

What I driving at was that a real network with many small-bandwidth clients would be more likely to experience dropped packets and time-outs, and an app developer needs to test against that eventually, or his release product will break.

1 Like

I have to say I really appreciate your prioritizing the development over the PR/marketing aspect of this (too many cryptos sometimes seem the opposite). That said, I’m looking forward to seeing what the “PR activities” entail. There’s still way too much confusion and misinterpretation (and FUD) in the crypto space with regards to MAID, so it’ll be good to clear the air and give people a better sense of what to expect. Feel free to contact me if you need some additional boots on the ground in San Francisco (I work in media, though on the literary side). Cheers, best of luck, and thanks for the ride!

6 Likes

Thank you very much for this @dirvine and the MAIDSAFE team!

4 Likes

I get Upload failures, anyone experiencing the same?

I did earlier, but it was due to exceeding the file size limit (5mb) I think.

1 Like

In my case I have 3.X MB. I also tried with smaller sized uploads. I can´t upload anything.

There was nothing stopping anyone (app devs or community members) from putting up a stable test network, as I have shown at no extra monetary cost. The reasons for their failing to do so are neither technical nor economic ones.

With just one droplet, it is perfectly stable once the operator of that droplet learns to avoid missteps. With two or more hard-coded contacts in the config, even that wouldn’t be an issue.

I never deliberately crashed it; the goal has always been to make it stable, and it has been for several days now.

1 Like

hmmm…are you using the newest launcher and demo app releases included above? That’s the only other thing that I can think of …

I expect the point is more about Test3 expecting to be volatile.

Stable is about the experience of the user and their data not about the host of the seeding… which you’ve done really well.

2 Likes

That looks like failure to create directory not to upload. I’ve seen similar in the /private where the directory already exists. Adding to it appears to lack a merge feature atm, so you need to perhaps upload the file not a directory.

Also I suspect the intent for this droplet test network is for app devs, rather more than users uploading files… I wonder there might be limited capacity on this network, though unlikely we can max it out but still, data upload might be better suited to a community network that becomes the order of magnitude of the users using it. Guessing…