SpaceX plans worldwide satellite Internet with low latency, gigabit speed

Elon Musk is unstoppable. This is a game changer and bodes well for Maidsafe.

4 Likes

sponsored by google ofc they want in.

Of course, why not, good, excellent, fantastic, whatever it takes. It takes money to build big and few have it or are willing to part with it. Smart people know how to efficiently leverage the tools developed by large organizations like Google. Privacy is not an issue for people that have never had internet (or decent internet) and they wont give a flyin fart how they came about getting it. Across North America it is fully understood that smaller communities that are lacking quality internet service are not competitive and risk failure because all the things we take for granted in the city (gigabit speeds) supporting e-commerce, Voip, video streaming, etc are impossible with dialup or 5MB dsl. There’s an old saying among successful people “Give a little, get a lot”

Imagine SAFE purring away on that kind of infrastructure!

Although with companies like google chucking money at it maybe it won’t be such a happy ending :confused:

Belgium will rollout 5g by 2020 I heard, so also 5g cellphones available in the short future for the masses! :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s just another one of those impossible dreams he keeps coming up with.

Isn’t the idea behind SAFE is that it doesn’t matter what kinda network as long as the bits can trickle away? Google or not, they won’t be able to get more out of SAFE traffic.

2 Likes

No, but much like with the original Tesla’s plan for wireless electricity, money/power likes to keep its stranglehold on the people and it has a habit of pulling the rug out from under you at the last moment.

Random idea. Couldn’t those satellite host a few hundred SAFE vaults each? Both projects will take some more time, and it would be great if SAFE could prove itself useful both as a tool of freedom and as a means to generate profit, and earn its place on those satellites.

1 Like

Google involved! It will be a happy ending, maybe not for the spoiled brats of the internet. It takes money to build big and few have it or are willing to part with it. Smart people know how to efficiently leverage the tools developed by large organizations like Google. Privacy is not an issue for people that have never had internet (or decent internet) and they wont give a flyin fart how they came about getting it. Across North America it is fully understood that smaller communities that are lacking quality internet service are not competitive and risk failure because all the things we take for granted in the city (gigabit speeds) supporting e-commerce, Voip, video streaming, etc are impossible with dialup or 5MB dsl. There’s an old saying among successful people “Give a little, get a lot”

1 Like

Sure, like SpaceX? PayPal, Tesla, the verdict is not out on Solarcity. This phenom has singlehandedly done more than most companies worldwide. The world needs guys like Elon. These are no “impossible dreams” this guy is real and this guy is big. Slamming Elon Musk is like slamming David Irvine, actually worse because Elon has reached production. BTW you see that rocket land on the barge? That aint no dream.

3 Likes

… was my point :heart_eyes_cat:

This as a backbone for local mesh networks running safe network seems like a pretty cool future.

1 Like

One thing I don’t like about SAFE is that it has no location aware aspect, so it doesn’t readily lend itself to mesh networking. Everything is done in XOR space, but that has no relationship to physical locality. I understand the reason behind that, but wouldn’t it be cool if routing could take into account where on this planet (or, where on orbit) a node is? Unfortunately, I have no idea how to go about that…

I’ve thougt too that there is intentionally no linkage betwen xor space and the physical. But there is in a way due to hop latency but its noisy and blind. But SAFE augmented IOT or paired could feed the position of some nodes but that sounds dangerous in a way.

Now for Tesla, the Musk companiea have gone from 0 to $45 billion with 33k employees in 10 years vertically integrated. And judging by the last few years its on course to being the most important company in history. There are probably five or six major, major things the world wouldn’t have without Tesla. I think a lot of that was probably the O admin opening up USG suppressed tech and funneling it to Tesla, but the genie is out of the bottle.