Sourdough

Its dough - and Im in a sour mood…

There is LOTS of advice on the internet - most of it contradictory

Tonight I will experimenting with my chappatti maker and an upside down soup pot cos I dont have a Dutch oven

1 Like

Whats your rye dough recipe? (if I can ask)

1 Like

I don’t have much of a recipe, which is pretty much the point. You just mix flour, water and salt (which I tend to forget for some reason), and stick it in the oven when the dough has risen.

There’s no yeast, so the important part is adding a piece of your old dough that’s sitting around with the right fungi or whatever microbes. That’s what makes the bread “sour”, and not just a flat “tortilla”.

The baking of such bread doesn’t even involve any battering. The microbes take care of everything, given time.

Growing your first dough starter takes a few days

I found this on “Simple English” Wikipedia. Interestingly, there is no “regular” English article.

For those who understand Swedish, this may be of use.

But you said rye bread. I’ve made sourdough, but have little now because I want lower the carbs and sourdough is too nice.

Although I have read that true rye bread is actually good in that you feel full and eat less overall

Yes, I use pure rye flour. So? I don’t know about carbs and feelings of fullness. I just bake bread and eat it, the way people have been doing for thousands of years. I think most of the world uses more wheat nowadays, but rye is still important at least in Finland and Russia.

EDIT: Some store-bought flour has had vitamin C added to it as a preservative. Avoid that. You want your dough alive, not “preserved”.

1 Like

Oh yes. Also that is what the salt is for, to reduce the time the dough can rise. Also adds some seasoning, but unsalted dough will rise more & longer and maybe create more bubbles in the bread as it bakes.

Here rye flour is not easy to find.

2 Likes

To be honest, I don’t really consider toast and such to be bread at all. I think it’s mostly air and sugar that you can put other stuff on. Rye bread is perfect with just butter. But I do mean butter, not some “butter-like produce” that’s never been near a cow.

2 Likes

Rye doesn’t toast like white marshmallow bread. LOL

Australia and New Zealand has really good pure butter. I’ve made butter from the cream of a Jersey/Guernsey (sp?) cow we had on 18 acres. Her milk had like 1/3 of it as cream and the remaining milk was still better than the full cream milks in the stores. Wasn’t going to wait hours for the rest of the cream to separate out.

I went looking for rye flour and actually found some now. I guess a decade after I last looked for it, some places have it. Mostly/all are the organic stores and of course charge extra for not adding stuff. Its like $30 (approx 20 euro) for 5Kg here

That sounds like a good example of the kind of shite the industry pushes as food…

Yeah, those sound like hipster prices. Regular rye flour costs less than 1€/kg here. Finland was always “bread country”. I know expats/immigrants living abroad who miss real Finnish bread a lot.

I miss real Turkish ekmek :slight_smile:

I must get some rye flour - last nights lot was made with 20% wholemeal 80% strong bread flour - just about to go in the oven now …

1 Like

Mine is going in the oven now too. :slight_smile:

Baking feels idiotic in this heat, but I’m out of bread, so I have to. It’s almost 30 degrees Celsius here in the middle of the “cold” sea. I actually think the weather is a bit scary.

1 Like

Mmm, hungry - Make us a chicken sarnie would you Sascha? :sandwich:

2 Likes

Come over and I’ll make you a nice egg sandwich.

2 Likes

My chives are coming on nicely, I’ll contribute the garnish :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had to look up “chives”. Do they grow wild in Scotland? They do here.

I dont know - mine are from seed in a big pot with the thyme and flat parsely

1 Like

@Sascha Are your sourdough breads more flat than the domed cake variety that many places sell as sourdough (usually made with wheat) breads?

Also how much starter to rye dough do you use?

I ordered some rye flour, yes expensive, to try and see if I can do it. I got some on special at $4.50 (approx 2.5 - 3 euro). The rye flour I was looking at are all aussie grown rye and milled flours

1 Like

Mine were flatter than usual today due to faffing around transferring one into the baking mould and the other onto the preheated tava(chapati skillet). But still taste excellent.

2 Likes

I didn’t know you grew rye there. My impression was Aussies should eat kangaroo and lizard or something if they wanted it local.

Like I said, I don’t have a recipe, and I don’t think the amount of starter matters. It’s more about time. I’m sorry I can’t help you more. Bread is a living thing and always acts a bit different.

Mine came out a bit flat today too. Maybe because I forgot the salt again. I’m trying to share a picture, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how the camera on my phone works. I just HATE these new innovative innovation apps that keep changing all the time, and I almost never take pictures.

Pure rye bread is dark and usually has smaller air bubbles than @Southside’s picture shows. I like using silicon forms for baking in the oven.

2 Likes