http://www.wired.com/2015/03/opinion-bitcoin-may-gets-us-real-net-neutrality/

There are three steps to enable this last-mile infrastructure over
unlicensed spectrum: First, encrypt the network traffic so that sharing
your connection doesn’t mean seeing your neighbor’s activities. Second,
charge those who would send traffic through your devices for the
privilege using micropayments. Third, program these open routers to seek
the fastest connection to the larger internet not only through their
own wired hook-up, but through their nearby peers. Knitting all of these
consumer devices together gives us a mesh network.

3 Likes

Hi, @betterthantrav, they featured a guest post last January (2014), by Julia Powles, who researches and writes on law, science and technology at the University of Cambridge.

Sweet, thanks :smile:

1 Like

I’d much rather see an article by Ars Technica. Their articles tend to be better quality in my opinion, more facts and less hype and click-bait titles. Though I suppose it’s better to wait until there is a useful functional public network running before seeking extra media attention.

1 Like

lol - I just posted about MAISDAFE on WIRED’s G+ post for this very article before coming over here and seeing this topic!

1 Like

How about The Register- “biting the hand that feeds it”

If I am not mistaken Wired did some bought and paid for anti neutrality stuff recently. Never liked Ars Technica. Name reminds me of something like Germany Uberalis or Metalica. I think someone pointed out they were in the same cluster as reddit, but Ive always thougt their stuff was paid for slanted. If SAFE is percieved as a threat to a sponsor expect a negative review. If memory serves the did a bunch of paid for type completely inaccurate stuff against the firm OnLive.

Ars Technica readers, at least the ones that comment, are almost all strong Snowden supporters nowadays. They care a lot about security and privacy and loathe what the intelligence agencies are doing. At the same time most of them seem to have had high educations, discussions under their articles are often quite interesting and of a high level.

1 Like

Ok, that does up end it for me. I really like how you evaluated the mag in terms of its readership. That’s the right way to look at it.

1 Like