Someone Has to say it - MAID's price is worrying

Why not trade in the short term and hold in the long run?
I bought even when MAID traded at $0.05 and I’ve been holding ever since, but I think I’ve been stupid doing so. I could have had many times more MaidSafe coins if I sold at the peak and re-bought at the two cents mark.

1 Like

Because it is near impossible to time the markets and always buy the hard bottom and sell the tops…

A better strategy IMO is to buy periodically a small % of coins so you average over a long period of time if you’re not into daily trading

4 Likes

If you can trade safecoin for bitcoin and trade bitcoin for either fiat or real goods I see no problem at all for safecoin being low value. Safecoin can be generated by being farmed. The network awards more safecoin in proportion to demand. And if you can essentially generate free money by just idling your computer that will generate a lot of demand. All this trader talk is essentially overcomplicating things. More barter less stock market.

Here you go, a 30% increase less 24 hours after you started being worried!

2 Likes

Combine that with the rapid drop in Bitcoin over the same 24 hour period, and it’s not so great for Maid holders!

My point is you can’t have it both ways.
When BTC was going up, people were complaining that MAID wasn’t.
Now when MAID is going up, some are complaining that BTC is going down.
The original complaint was about the price of MAID (in BTC), right?

2 Likes

Substitute “MAID traders” for “MAID holders” and your statement is more true.

I think the bulk of MAID holders don’t care much at all what traders do with the price between crowdsale and burning MAID for real safecoin.

MAID is a token representing something that doesn’t exist yet. If safecoin does come into existence, MAID will be worth something, and quite certainly more than any MAID price has indicated. If safecoin doesn’t come into existence, MAID will be worth nothing, and we’ll all be disappointed.

Cheers to those who wish to play the market in the meantime, but few here really care much, or think of the price fluctuations as meaning anything truly significant to the project.

4 Likes

Where did @DavidMc0 write MAID traders then?

Otherwise, compliments and thumbs up for the good points you’re making, I feel reprazent-ed! :slight_smile:

He didn’t. That’s my point. He said “MAID holders”. :innocent:

2 Likes

I like this post by you @fergish It makes complete sense and is a very good eli5 of the status quo. Unfortunately there are many folks that didnt know they were buying a “token” that “If” it came into existence it may be worth something. They bought or “invested” in a “coin” as in MAIDSAFECOIN that, like all the craze at the time of the spring 2014 MAIDSAFE IPO, would increase in value and be liquid.

From bitcointak.org April 22, 2014

Where can I trade my MaidSafeCoins once they are purchased?
You will be able to exchange your MaidSafeCoins for safecoins once the SAFE Network is launched, and you will also be able to trade your MaidSafeCoins immediately upon receipt at exchanges that support MaidSafeCoin.

When should I purchase MaidSafeCoins?
The crowd-sale of MaidSafeCoin has an early backer incentive mechanism. Early backers will receive additional MaidSafeCoins for their purchase on the following scale:

First Week Incentive: 40% bonus
Second Week Incentive: 30% bonus
Third Week Incentive: 20% bonus
Fourth Week Incentive: 10% bonus
For the coin issuance we are utilising the block chain via the master protocol. The bonus algorithm works by applying a 40% bonus in the first block, 39.99% bonus in the next block…etc., down to 30% bonus for the first block in week 2.

Up to 429,496,729 MaidSafeCoins will be generated during this crowd-sale. Once this number is reached the crowd-sale will end, so there is an incentive to become involved early.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=579797.0

So what is maidsafecoin the current version? You pointed that out clearly here and that needs to be conveyed to all that ask. It is NOT, NOR WAS IT EVER A COIN - It is no more a coin than the metal slug from an electrical box . It is reservation token to buy a future safecoin - and there is no assurances that that safecoin will come into existence. As you so eloquently point out, people are trading a reservation token that may or may not entitle the holder to anything.

Maidsafecoin today has zero value. Like an accountant writes down the value of old inventory, maidsafecoin expiration date has passed.

This is not an obituary on MAIDSAFE the company or RUST or the business plan (although that is a moving target) or an attack on the fantastic efforts by devs and all involved, including your efforts Ferg, this is a long overdue post about coins and price. The people complaining about price have every right and every reason to.

Hopefully things may be a little clearer- tough pill to swallow - now we know its not a coin.

2 Likes

Well, the entire point for people to buy into the crowdsale or later on is to get Safecoin eventually. Not to voluntarily fund the project but to get something in return which will be safecoins.

It’s a reservation token which you can exchange 1:1 for safecoin, no buying if you’ve already got maidsafecoin.

1 Like

hi, mod, i remember maid was sold out in a few days right? so everyone got 40% bonus? does this mean everyone who bought maid by bitcoin got 18000*(1+40%) per bitcoin? thanks

Yes, I think this was the case.

Thanks for your perspective, @BIGbtc.

Any investment has it’s element of risk. When I say “if” the SAFE Network launches as planned, I do not mean to indicate anything other than that it hasn’t yet. I personally have every confidence that it will, and that it will fulfil its mission adequately (as I’m sure most here also think).

The point is that this is not a traditional financial investment. It is an investment in a technological vision, tied to a philosophical vision. That’s been plain at any and all points along the line, to anyone who has cared to do due diligence, as any “investor” should.

Of course MAID is a reserve token and has no other functional value. Duh.

I have no problem with those who wish to trade maidsafecoin for fun and profit. But the ups and downs of MAID have nothing much to do with the progress of the underlying project, and thus are random speculation, because the real asset which the MAID represents had not come into existence yet. It has also not failed to come into existence, and shows more and more evidence of manifestation every day.

Those who really care about the project are patient and understand the scope of what’s being done. Of course, we’re all anxious to get there. But doing it right is the key element in getting there.

I’m sure I speak for a lot of folks when I say that we’re confident of success. Those who have that perspective are accumulating MAID as we can afford, and holding, because we want safecoins, if and when the network implements them. The price movement in the meantime has little significance, other than to present better buying opportunities for those who wish to accumulate them.

My main point is that the fluctuations of MAID don’t mean much, and are nothing to worry about for most of us. That’s all.

3 Likes

no wonder they dumped maid under 5k, cause ipo price for maid/btc was 4k

Yeah I got it now. In my Dutch style English I would have written it the other way round. Nevermind lol!

It was sold out in 5-6 hours. I was one of the very last to drop my contribution in the pool, that’s why I remembered… But everybody got 40% bonus.

Correct, for people who used Bitcoin to pay. I think the ones using Mastercoin had a better deal. That caused the price of Mastercoin to rise before the MaidSafe IPO lol.

Spot on. Just my point of view too.

Yeah. This was a miscalculation on the part of the MaidSafe crew. It is the main reason this crowdsale has be characterized as “a catastrophic success”. Oh, well. They acted promptly and salvaged it pretty well. If it had played out differently, the company would have been better funded. But we’ve got what we’ve got.

2 Likes