Solid on SAFE Updates

A little preview because I love visualisation apps. Here is spoggy running with the latest SAFE Browser (locally, not on the shared vault yet). Here’s a screenshot of it showing some of the files and folders at safe://dweb/

21 Likes

It’s getting interesting for sure :+1:

15 Likes

Woah that’s quite something! I’m also a fan of visualisations and graphs. They make concepts come alive. Nice work @happybeing
EDIT: @happybeing’s post on Solid forum if anyone fancies giving it a like.

We should be encouraging more of this sort of thing.father-ted

10 Likes

Great article @happybeing ! Gave me a lot of clarity. Wondering if, through a browser plugin that could access SAFE (normal browser, not SAFE browser), whether Solid on SAFE could be leveraged to work on the clear-net too -but with many of the benefits of SAFE. Would compete then with the other Solid project, but could be better maybe.

Keep up the great effort! :wink:

2 Likes

Glad the article was useful, thanks for the feedback!

What you ask is possible but a lot of work. Also I think there may be a problem, with Chrome at least, not allowing a plugin to add the safe: protocol.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Setting up a Commons dWeb Blog

Here’s a summary of a session about Solid given recently in Amsterdam.

I think it’s useful for showing the direction of the project and it’s progress in tackling the issue of making RDF/Linked Data easier for developers of applications.

http://www.pilod.nl/wiki/Solid_Amsterdam_–_1st_Session_Summary

Info via https://mobile.twitter.com/wirecaster

3 Likes

I wrote a thing on the Solid forum about building an app out of RDF, and maybe creating the ‘spreadsheet of the RDF world’:

6 Likes

Ditto…browser plugin to work on clearnet as well will be awesome…a great way to increase adoption…all for it…:+1::+1:

1 Like

Solid being trialled in Manchester UK:

Speaking in a pre-recorded video about the digital platform and the collaboration with his company, Inrupt, creator of the World Wide Web Sir Tim Berners-Lee said: “Greater Manchester was one of the first areas to recognise how our technology, Solid, can be used to improve services and empower individuals. We’re really excited about pioneering the future of healthcare with you. Let’s change the status quo again – for good.” (Emphasis mine, link)

Something to keep an eye on, and note possible contacts as they will find Solid lacking in key respects which Solid on SAFE can address. Especially for you @Shane?

Solid is not ready for managing healthcare data IMO, nor any sensitive data.

11 Likes

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2020/02/inrupt_tim_bern.html

5 Likes

IMO, SOLID becomes much more appealing when it is combined with SAFENetwork. It feels like together they provide a better, safer, more integrated solution.

I’d say this goes both ways too - SAFENetwork without SOLID would be a worse developer and user experience. Having SOLID as the primary protocol for designing client apps with a SAFENetwork back end would be really beneficial.

12 Likes

Imo SAFE is perfectly fine with or without SOLID. It is just one of many flavors possible (not my favorite).

3 Likes

Be good if we could get Bruce Schneier to take a close look at SAFE - and hopefully be impressed and blog about it.
He has an incredible reach.

1 Like

And 10 years ago a $40,000 bill to even read a single paper for us. We said no thanks at the time.

8 Likes

oh…

that was 10 years ago, this is now :slight_smile:

Tell him about the Good Stuff we are doing with BLS and DKG …

Natural language to SPARQL queries:

6 Likes

In your Discussion of Genetic/Open Ended Algorithms on SAFE I mentioned a possible opportunity to apply an algorithmic/safe/solid approach when ready to a existing Health application. This application has been adopted by a NHS Foundation Trust/Global Digital Exemplar NHS organisation.
I tried to locate the TBL link you referred to but no luck. Do you have any information re how/where Solid is being applied with the Greater Manchester digital platform/health application and could you comment on the gaps i.e.where they will find Solid lacking in key respects which Solid on SAFE can address? :thinking:. This would be very helpful to a Project Business Case/Proposal I am working on.

3 Likes

I also looked for more info about this. Inrupt play their cards very close to their chest. It doesn’t seem to be much more than a press release at this stage.

2 Likes

John is correct that Inrupt have not given any more details, except to say they are bound by a non disclosure agreement over the project.

I’ve raised my concerns wrt Solid and data privacy a few times on the Solid forum or gitter chat but they remain unaddressed. Most recently here and here. SAFE solves all the issues I’ve raised, which are all related to the use of servers and the ‘pods as a service’ model, and the fact that data is not encrypted at rest in Solid for the foreseeable future (ie no plans or discussions have set out ways to change this).

7 Likes