In this post I’m going to add some info about the Solid apps as they become available to try on SAFE alpha2. This is work in progress / testing as I go. All the apps work in mock with some limitations and bugs, but there are likely to be extra issues moving onto SAFE so I’d like people to try them out.
- an account on alpha2 (see Get Involved/Claim an invite)
- SAFE Browser v0.14.x
- a SAFE WebID. Creating a SAFE WebID requires you to start SAFE Browser, log into your account and enable the Experimental APIs using the drop-down menu on the far right of the browser toolbar. You can then open a drop-down menu immediately to the left of the address bar and choose ‘Launch WebidManager’ which opens a new tab where you can create a WebID. Some older instructions for use with an earlier browser (Peruse) are available here.
Status: available now at
Using Solid Filemanager:
- start SAFE Browser and log into your account (if you have a problem here make sure your IP address has been set by visiting invite.maidsafe.net)
- enable the Experimental APIs using the drop-down menu on the far right of the browser toolbar
- open a new tab and visit
- type a valid safe website address into the popup which appears, such as
safe://dweb, and click ‘OPEN DIRECTORY’
After a delay the app should display a set of icons with names representing the files and directories at the location you used. You can double click to display files in a simple editor, and on directories to show what they contain.
You can navigate directories using the ‘breadcrumb’ navigation in the header of the app, and change the storage location using the drop-down menu at the top right of solid-filemanager.
Limitations and Bugs:
- you can’t edit content at the moment because Login doesn’t work on alpha2 due to SAFE Browser issue #920 (It does work in mock).
Please let me know if you try this, and if anyone would like to write a short dweb.happybeing.com / safe://dweb blog post to show others how to try it out… off you go! DWeb uses markdown so if you can provide it formatted in markdown along with screenshots images that would be great.
Any Solid Filemanager bugs can be reported in this topic or if you have an account on GitHub please use issues.
Status: will have to wait for Fleming and refactor of SafenetworkJS for the new data types API
I’ve been unable to fit the ace editor within the 1000 PUT limit, despite three attempts trimming out less important bits. This is a shame because it is a useful app and a great demo! So onto Plume…
Status: not yet ready
You’ve seen it before, but this version will be without me hacking the Plume code. It will be all just original Plume code with SAFE compatible Solid libraries added.