Software ready to download?

I just heard about maidsafe and think it is such a good idea!

Is there software ready so that we can start farming and using the system already?

Or are we still waiting for the release?

1 Like
2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Check the Development category for the latest info, some weekly Dev-updates there:

4 Likes

Is this real?

Who said that?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they said that would be the goal of the next sprint, and I think that’s still in the planning week. So we’re more looking at closer to a month rather than a week for dev bundle 1

2 Likes

With the current rate of development, how many sprints do you estimate the two remaining bundles to take?
2 :wink: (one sprint == one bundle, the parts may move from 3 → 2 and vice versa but all in next 2 sprints)

[Edit, the current completed sprint was the biggest we will probably ever do, I hope]

Here’s the link. So for the installers, you probably have to wait a few more weeks. Or maybe someone will provide a program to do some self encryption etc.

1 Like

That’s correct. In the topic it’s stated that the next sprint will be about creating the 1st Dev Bundle. And the sprint after that about creating the second one. So that’s why it will probably take some more weeks before we see installers.

1 Like

Ohw, didn’t know that. That would be cool.

2 Likes

So with this “Dev Bundle 1” - will I be able to use maidsafe already as a user and a farmer? Or is this just for developers still?

Yeah but why read when you can ask

3 Likes

All questions are welcome on this forum. If you don’t want to help, please don’t comment.

5 Likes

Perhaps you should try to read the topic before you police it.

• I answered the original question less than 5 minutes after it was posted by providing a link to Nick’s post in which there’s a link to http://maidsafe.net/roadmap. (And without any comment of my own).
  • On the roadmap page it takes 10 seconds to realize that the s/w isn’t ready for download yet, and the same page also answered the question that was asked later (that farming won’t be possible until Dev Bundle 2), so clearly the person who asked didn’t bother to read the first answer at all (otherwise he wouldn’t have asked the second question) which clearly shows the complete lack of effort.

But hey, you’re a moderator, why bother? Shoot first, ask questions later!

It really doesn’t matter if the person “bothered” (assumption, judgement) or if you believe you answered adequately, or think you provided enough information already. You can still choose not to respond, or to do so in a friendly manner. I judge your response to be unfriendly and not consistent with the forum guidelines.

I advocate and support that policy because it’s my personal judgement that the forum works best if we deal with each other, and particularly people who are new, or are asking questions because they have an interest, with respect and friendliness - even if we believe they are not doing this the way we might like them too.

If you don’t like the way this person is learning, you can just leave them alone. As you say, the information is there, and there may or may not be others like me, who will pick up questions that you don’t want to answer courteously.

4 Likes

I agree with @happybeing

This is a forum.

The very definition of forum is a place of discussion.

I cant stand it when people on forums say things like ‘this has been asked a million times before’ and insinuating it shouldn’t be asked (for *** sake that’s like trying to control what people talk about, its ***** ridiculous, what is this North Korea???) etc.

There are two solutions to this 1, get over it. People will always ask questions, the same ones, over and over again. Either help them out by linking to where its been answered before, answer it yourself or mind your own business and ignore it or 2, The forum can smarten up and do what other forums do by redirecting the forum post to a similar one for anyone subscribed to it and then deleting it. Whirlpool.net.au does this really well.

Its all really simple and guess what not all people can understand technical terms even if they do find that information.

— edit by @polpolrene f-words not allowed" —

1 Like

Seeing how this conversation has turned towards the forum guidelines:

"Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to
improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure
your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and
try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if
they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people
discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are
already happening. Please spend some time browsing the topics here
before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of
meeting others who share your interests."

I added the bold to highlight my point.

More:

"Questions? Try Search and check the FAQ, or just Ask

Asking questions is a great way to learn and is encouraged here -
there is no such thing as a stupid question (but don’t take that as
challenge!) and this is a friendly community of people who like to share
what they know and help others discover the amazing features of SAFE
Network. Many things will have already been covered, so you can also use
search, or look in the FAQ, to find answers to your questions, and this
is another great way to learn from the many discussions about SAFE
Network and related topics."

EDIT: Added the bold

Everybody is free to flag a topic. You can leave a comment about why you flagged it. So when you see a topic and you think that discussion is already happening somewhere, or you think that someone posts a topic in the wrong category etc. feel free to flag it. One of the mods will look into it. If things are unclear, even more of us will look at it. No problem.

3 Likes

Hmmm, this inspired a lot of discussion…

I see there is a challange here with communicating with non tech nerds (as you understood from my question I am not super into all the technical terms).

So I guess the answer is that we still wait for something that ordinary users can just download and use.

Correct, but if you check the forum on a regular basis you’ll see them as soon as they appear. Especially the Dev-updates will tell you (another on coming today). These won’t be a full functional 1.0 version of the software, it will be installers for us all to test the network.

1 Like

However some feedback may be appropriate here. It would have been helpful if the roadmap contained some basic textual information that is easy to understand for non-technical people. A time line with year and month when things are planned to be done would also be exciting!