SNT negative interest rate economics

well selling is always good for the network = availability for anyone to upload data = more data = etc

This idea makes the use of the network more difficult. Farmers will sell instead of holding - paying a transaction fee most likely to boot and they’ll end up holding another coin that doesn’t have this fee. So in the bigger picture, it changes nothing and simply devalues the utility of the network - in favor of another one.

And when someone forks SN to create a version that doesn’t have this fee, then what? I promise, it won’t take long for that to happen.

4 Likes

ok so I can be clear, thats what I am trying to convey:

1. we would not have the 95% of bitcoins owned by 2% of hodlers situation
  2. put price is and will be low so people upload data which is the reason the network grows

Point one: I don’t know why this is bad.
Point two: The put price must be roughly the cost to farmers or they won’t provide utility. This will be true no matter what as competition between farmers will keep price near cost. I don’t see this has any effect on prices - it does cost large holders and keeps them from storing wealth in the network … so value of token itself will remain low … but that means tokens/put will be higher - to cover cost to farmers.

4 Likes

big success…

1 Like

Lol

We’ve discussed something like this before on the forum. Conclusion: horrible idea/concept that is antithetical to network principles.

I don’t understand the thought process in this statement. Why would PUT price be cheaper? If anything, it would be higher, because you would have less farmers willing to farm for resources they then get taxed for, driving storage costs up. If SNT is $1 but it takes 1000 SNTs to PUT a TB of data, that’s objectively worse than SNT being $100, but it takes 9 to PUT a TB.

5 Likes

@SmoothOperatorGR on my admittedly quick skim of this topic, it seems to me that you’ve missed one fundamental concept in that SNT price (e.g. USD/SNT) and put price (PUT/SNT) are decoupled.

There is no put price issue with SNT steadily rising, because it will incentivize farmers (as easy as running a script now) to add capacity, meaning that the network will adjust the PUT/SNT price (network is USD agnostic) lower… e.g. more puts per SNT.

This is IMHO one key to a good economy… bitcoin doesn’t get cheaper to use as it rises, quite the contrary. But SNT rising means that the network itself will become cheaper in SNT terms to use.

So it is deflationary, not in USD terms, but in service provided terms … this is a radically different economic policy backed by network usefulness, rather than pure speculation. And the rising price will not affect the affordability of the network… seperating speculators and users nicely.

7 Likes

So, you mean like the American dollar? :joy:

Seriously, bought into this to make money, not to get poor, so hard NO!

3 Likes

But who’s going to be willing to store that data for nothing?

And the space available to the network is linked to the storage cost. HDDs aren’t free.

This isn’t even possible with DBCs. All tokes are created upfront (so it can’t recreate new tokens) and the network can’t see the balances (so no way to add a tax if you don’t know the balances).

2 Likes

I don’t understand the whole negative interest rate proposal, but I would certainly be willing to share my drive even gratis, if that meant I could help keep e.g. journalists like Assange out of prison.

That’s called theft!

Negative interest rates are a sign of manipulated failing economies. They are the bankers/government’s answer to stimulate an otherwise unhealthy economy that they don’t want to allow to correct. And yes, for sure, I would put the US in the same boat as other countries in this regard. Any interest rate below that of inflation is theft/tax. The last thing I think we want is negative rates. Or for that matter any taxes or coin manipulations. We want people to hold SNT, make investments for the future, and use the network how they want. There is nothing inherently wrong with mild deflation. In fact, the biggest con the banking industry has pulled on the world is that some inflation is somehow good. With sound money there is a natural, slight deflation as productivity advancements reduce the cost of things. Bitcoin sees such wild swings because it doesn’t “do” anything and “isn’t” anything. The safe network will do so much more and over time the value of the data stored on it should even out the swings. The fact that only a small amount of coins have been released so far goes a long way towards keeping supplies open. I’m not sure even that’s necessary, though, as the network pricing structure is self-regulating. It has two moving parts and not just one like all other (or perhaps nearly all other) crypto and like all fiat currencies. There is the fiat value of the token AND there is the network upload cost in token amount. Psychologically, it will be a huge negative if we tax holders. A significant number of people will likely see this as manipulation and theft and stay away. I don’t think we want to emulate big government/banking policy. We want to attract those seeking to get away from that.

9 Likes

Negative interest rates are an abomination, as you wrote.

Interest less than inflation doesn’t necessarily have to be theft… it can simply be a signal that the economy is making tickets faster than it is baking pies. I admit though that if this is a deliberate choice, it resolves in an awful hurry down to theft from those with tickets.

The default for any functional economy must be a positive interest rate, if for no other reason than that you may die tomorrow. Money now is and must always be worth more than money in the future… to people.

The only things that can tolerate the opposite are immortal entities with completely rational time preferences or parasitic advantages. E.g. large corporations, especially those dipping into the financial arteries.

1 Like

You are quite right. Interest rates can just be a reaction to market dynamics. I should have been clear that I was referring to the interest rates set by central banks.