Snowden post on Reddit

How do we make that work for us? We can devise means, through the application and sophistication of science, to remind governments that if they will not be responsible stewards of our rights, we the people will implement systems that provide for a means of not just enforcing our rights, but removing from governments the ability to interfere with those rights.

Snowden on Reddit Today… https://np.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2wwdep/we_are_edward_snowden_laura_poitras_and_glenn/courx1i?context=3

10 Likes

That’s a good excerpt, but the whole statement at the link is really worth a read. Thanks for posting it here. I just finished watching Citizenfour.

All is progressing toward the SAFE network being adopted broadly, as soon as it’s ready.

2 Likes

Well said that man!

1 Like

I really believe that when SAFE was initially envisaged it was seen by many as a “who needs that, I do nothing wrong”. Now it is becoming more apparent.

Almost as if we designed a solution for a problem nobody knew was there and now people are in despair that there is no solution. Many projects are knee jerking and making proclamations of a solution to this problem with sticking plasters, but the solution was always going to be a fundamental and more logical way to allow communications and knowledge sharing between humans. Only then can we separate the state from our thoughts. When this happens then we can debate, discuss, innovate and help each other without fear. Without those freedoms then the only logical conclusion of the increasingly surveiled populous is 100% control and 0% innovation for that populous. So it is obvious the change is required for our species to not only survive, but to evolve further.

GDPR and many gov schemes for data protection and anti competitive behaviour amounts to asking “please don’t do evil” to those who’s business model requires to “do evil”, it may not have seemed evil when they started, but the consequences of “the consumer as a product” are now being understood. I think the damage is massive, but the cure is coming, it will not fix the problem overnight though and will take time and will certainly and quickly shift the power base from centralised silo’s of misinformation and failed logic to then spread knowledge to every human, if we do it right.

I just hope as a society that we can handle knowing the truth, I have always thought we can, but it will mean the end of persecution and increased empathy for those with different opinions that we can all listen first learn second.

28 Likes

The development or existence of a secure decentralized internet with complete privacy is also increasingly appearing in fiction. That was more or less non existant four years ago.

6 Likes