Silicon Valley TV and Maidsafe - all is revealed

I have a face for radio as they say :smiley: :smiley: I am not sure when the first conversations were, Nick would perhaps know in his diary, but they have been aware of us for a wee while. One of the folks there knew a fair bit and liked what we do and how we talk about it. So quite a long time really. We went over there to the Sony studios to meet them, quite a cool bunch. No cameras were near us that we know of though :wink:

32 Likes

Haha, nice, I was wondering because I left a message to Mike Judge on that date telling him that Pied Piper’s internet was identical to the letter to MaidSafe’s SafeNetwork.

Btw, all the “stallions” had a face for the radio, so you would have fitted perfectly lol jk

Have you taken the opportunity to tease them about the Sony hack? I would have said something like “well it wouldn’t have happened if you guys were on the SafeNetwork… keep it in mind for the Interview sequel” rofl

13 Likes

another recent article (just 3 days ago) about pied-piper and which real-worls startups pursue this vision without any mention of MaidSafe / SAFENetwork:

maybe our marketing team (@SarahPentland @dugcampbell) could reach out to this Hana Askren who wrote the article…

with David, Nick and Viv mentioned as techadvisors the matter should be fairly obvious by now…

13 Likes

Agreed. Perhaps a nod in the right direction would help set the record straight. Seems like lazy journalism on the part of the reporter to simply reach for an easy blockchain connection. Where’s the research? Where’s the attention to detail? Where’s the informed opinion?

16 Likes

Thanks for the heads up - I’ve just pinged the author Hana an email to give her a little more context :slight_smile:

21 Likes

http://www.piedpiper.com/

Hope this is a fictional website designed for the show.

5 Likes

Nice - it’s a thoroughly convincing spoof.

1 Like

Actually the question should have been: where was our PR department?
Non-traditional advertisment is all fine, I love that.
But for an ad agency there is no worse nightmare than an ad campaign that the audience ends up believing that it belongs to the competition.

Right now, all the effort, time and money that the Maid team has spent, it went right to Storj, IPFS and the other’s pocket, getting all the free publicity for free.

5 Likes

Does this even happen in journalism anymore?

They’re all paid shills, and I bet they accept tokens. SHAME!

The information battlefield in 2018 is very different. Tactics need to be updated.

2 Likes

No need to shill, MaidSafe was for a while the “only non-blockchain, without fees, infinitely scalable, distributed storage”.
Now it is not anymore. We have competitors on each side
SafeNetwork’s attribute.

In the last 4 years, there has been a constellation of competitors out there circling like vultures around MaidSafe.

When blockchains are the buzzword, and other projects are actively doing PR, it is easy for a journalist to miss a project that almost pathologically doesn’t want to be promoted.

27emuu

9 Likes

For each attribute, separately, not for the whole project… yet.
And we might cut it close, if the beta release is going to be in two years.

These guys are certainly pathological to have dedicated themselves to this endeavor, but I don’t doubt that they have their eyes on the prize. They weren’t before but they are now acutely aware of how much perception and price will catapult or limit growth. I think beta is coming sooner…but I also said that in 2014. I just hope that the people at Silicon Valley who also like the project can be called on for a public nod when the timing it right. That would be a PR jackpot built on real tech and established trusting relationships…few PR tokens.

2 Likes

A kissing cousin of fake news. Too many outfits pitch themselves as “journalism” but are thinly veiled paid advertising platforms (not unlike buzzfeed) rather than purveyors of factual insight. I don’t have a problem with paid for promotion, just subjectivity masquerading as objective coverage.

Regardless, as @anon63178599 noted, the game has changed, and (far too often) pay to play is the rule. To that end, I wonder if the ICO were held today, how much MAID would have been reserved for marketing purposes. That ship has sailed, though.

1 Like

Yeah, but the uniqueness is gradually being lost in the noise of all these non-blockchain projects that are popping up.
It is frustrating how much Filecoin has gotten, and how IoTA has promoted the properties that were up to that point unique to the SafeNetwork.

If you wanna know why it worries me, check my thread here:
https://forum.autonomi.community/t/potential-competitor-nems-proximax/

2 Likes

Well, we better ask for that SV public nod sooner. They’ve certainly profited on SAFE’s ideas, I hope that giving back a bit would have been part of the consulting contract.

Dig our heels in and stand up in the field and stop being the runt of the litter. We’re also in the middle of a altcoin clean out. Facebook is just the beginning, but there is a coming tsunami against the clearnet and social media. People will find blockchain lacking.

I agree, all of those projects are garbage on their own, but together they might be a force…even more flexible if one need to be traded out, similar to the blockstack model. I’ll take a look at Proximax…looks interesting at first glance.

2 Likes

Unfortunately “people” is mostly sheeple, and aren’t capable of telling the difference between an apple and a cherry.

People buy “beats by Dre”, even though they are atrocious in sound quality.
And people still buy junk food, even knowing that it is nutritionally empty.
And people buy soda, even though it causes diabetes.

We are targeting the mass, not the knowledgeable technical people out there.
The consumer retail market has to be, unfortunately, spoon-fed and targeting basic needs.

Coca-Cola is never advertised with it’s list of chemical properties or medical benefits. It doesn’t even describe it’s flavor.
They sell happiness, being loved and being cool in their ads.

We will have to use the same tools to win the mass markets, if the objective is the mass adoption.
You don’t win over people by having a rational argument, it is about being emotionally compelling.

Apple learned the lesson for example, up to 1984 their printed ads were like any other computer company out there: just detailing a list of specs.
But that means nothing to the rest of the consumers, outside the niche of technicians.
So in 1984, Steve Jobs went full rogue with his epic Superbowl advertising conveying the message of liberating from oppression, in a very graphic way, with references common people can connect.

Printed ad for Apple 1:

Printed ad for Apple II:

Until they finally got it:

Macintosh 1984 Superbowl commercial:

5 Likes

People prefer looks and glamour and whatever feels good rather than healthy. A good campaign should account that and act accordingly.

I think it’s more about knowing who your target customer is. One could make the counter argument that the market for natural and organic products has flourished because there are consumer segments that absolutely don’t want unhealthy things. There are also many brands that have profited on presenting themselves as natural and holistic even when the underlying product is anything but.

My point here is that, I think it’s less about arbitrarily applying marketing strategies and tactics because it worked for some other brand/product, and more about understanding to whom you specifically speak, what motivates that segment in particular, and then aligning your messaging, promotion, placement, etc. to successfully deliver against those factors. I’d think that with things like security, privacy, anonymity and financial exchange on the line, SAFE branding is probably better off built on substance rather than mere looks. My two cents.

3 Likes

I wasn’t mentioning other companies to copy them, but to exemplify the chasm that is between technical people and marketing when they come to think about promoting a product, to think from the consumer’s perspective and not from their own.

The mentality of “oh it is a good product, they will realize how better it it is technically” will never work, unless of course you are just targeting the technical niche.

MaidSafe’s objective was to have a mass adoption.
So it must be planned accordingly.

Case in point, the series illustrates this very well:

1 Like