Sidelining Sybil Attacks

If a node is waiting to join then obviously they are not paid.

1 Like

When I hear queue, I think of FIFO (First In First Out). But the next vault should be chosen randomly: a (perpetual) tombola/lottery.

2 Likes

Yes they will most likely be. the nodes will request join every X period, one of the times they get the chance to resource_proof etc. and maybe get in, so it will be random in that respect. They are all still in a queue though, just not a fifo type.

7 Likes

I doubt if looked at it more technically that it is a new idea. But maybe the used phrasing can give inspiration.

Does a vault (owner) really need to know if his vault is really part of the network or not? If you make it more a black box, then everyone thinks he is part of the network and it will be fine, while he might be not.
The only thing he notices is that he is not making any safecoin, but that could be also the case while he is part of the network.

Also, does a vault owner know if his vault is an elder?

2 Likes

Can we have a queue for the queue? For the initial stages of the network, only people from the forum can receive invitations/tombola tickets and use them to be farmers.

If everyone gets 10 tickets they can use them for their computers or hand them out to friends …

My gut feeling is that this is the best protection, but the aging (a form of PoW) being discussed so far might be sufficient :thinking:.
With a PoS approach, I guess the same behavior that you’ve identified as resulting in a decrease in node age would be replaced by some slashing of the posted stake.

I haven’t heard much discussion about randomness on this forum. Another place randomness is needed is the section relocations. To get randomness that is verifiably random, Ethereum is researching VDF hardware.
In Ethereum’s case, they need randomness to assign validators to shards out of the pool of registered validators. So a somewhat similar problem, but in that case all the validators in the pool have already posted a stake. The tldr of the linked podcast is that if you can guarantee that one participant has honestly contributed a source of randomness, you are good to go!