Shocker....Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence

"Yahoo Inc last year secretly built a custom software program to search all of its customers’ incoming emails for specific information provided by U.S. intelligence officials, according to people familiar with the matter.

The company complied with a classified U.S. government directive, scanning hundreds of millions of Yahoo Mail accounts at the behest of the National Security Agency or FBI, said two former employees and a third person apprised of the events.

Some surveillance experts said this represents the first case to surface of a U.S. Internet company agreeing to a spy agency’s demand by searching all arriving messages, as opposed to examining stored messages or scanning a small number of accounts in real time."

Why? Because they can.

Yeah, I just read this on Zerohedge too. Absolutely shocking. I’m not really the type of person to get mad about something, but this is one of those rare cases. Luckily I don’t have an account on Yahoo!, and never had, but if I try to imagine I had one… Brrr… I have nothing to hide, but I still want to know, and be able to give, or deny, permission to search through my personal stuffs. Ugly. The need for Safe Network becomes more and more urgent by the day.

…you don’t need to have an account to have had your privacy violated. Any emails you exchanged with Yahoo users will of course have been affected.

Get mad again :wink:

Better yet, Let’s get the SAFE Network up and fully functional and get even by watching their profits tank and their exploits become meaningless.

It all shows how disingenuous Marissa Meyer was when she pushed through encryption after that (earlier) big hack a couple of years ago. All the time allowing all customer emails to be scanned and chopped by government.

Mass surveillance is everywhere, and we are the only ones (as in not government or corporations) who will do anything to fix this.

Well, to be fair, there’s some other projects, too…

Certainly. A number of them have promise individually, and the general, multi-pronged effort collectively.

But I think SAFE will play a pivotal roll because it has the capability of being rather ubiquitous and easily adopted. I also think it will be an important empowerer of many of the others.

I wasn’t referring to this project by “we”, but to “us” in the sense of “not government or corporations”, though I agree with John that this project stands out in this endeavour, so not surprising that you might assume that was my meaning.

I see 20 Characters :slight_smile:

I’ll leave that for the moment we find out that Gmail, Facebook, Live, and the likes also admit

:wink:

I agree with you but really if people are dumb enough to use yahoo and Google and outlook to carry on critical business or share information that would otherwise be classified, they deserve to be found. And I hope that some of those dummies found are ones that are planning outrageous attacks on innocent communities around the planet.

We know there are a few options like Telegram that currently keep prying eyes but the dummies (thank goodness ) don’t get it.

Safenetwork will not oust incumbants Yahoo mail or Gmail or MS but it will be very successful at providing a suite of products that will attract more sophisticated users that care about privacy.

I can’t say I am even the least bit surprised!

I have a Yahoo email account. The feature I enjoyed was that you can use ‘disposable’ email addresses, so giving unique addresses to different people/companies. Then you can delete the address if it starts receiving spam, and you can tell who ‘leaked’ your email address. I’m struggling to work out a satisfactory way to replace this functionality…

I’m not surprised by these revelations, but nevertheless I’m determined to stop using Yahoo. The problem I have is that the whole email system is inherently crap! I can’t find a satisfactory solution. I think I’m going to get my own domain and set up email this way.

I don’t think I’m technically knowledgeable enough to run my own server though, and there are several other downsides to this approach (expense, reliability, blacklisting etc). I think I’m going to have to use my own domain and some third party, but I don’t know who!

I want to point out that I’m finding this difficult, and I’m determined and more capable with technology than the average person. How the hell are normal people supposed to escape the sort of appalling behaviour demonstrated here by Yahoo!? It’s not currently feasible is it? Fast forward a few years and I imagine there’ll be an answer! :wink:

I checked out this new mail provider, proton mail or photon mail or so a week ago, but they wanted to know too much and then they didn’t even reply to my support mail, so I’m unsure. I’m having the same issue, have been waiting for a good solution but havent found one yet.