Shifting to Linux

Now this I can understand. Nice and neat.

Except I like to have all the icons visible down on the right.

1 Like

Here’s another bump for Mint xfce if you have an older(-ish) machine, though what you have would probably run Cinnamon well, if you like. I don’t go into heavier desktops even on higher spec machines. Don’t see the use.

I have a friend that was having trouble with a Windows 10, low-end laptop. Wouldn’t work and wouldn’t restore. I worked on it a bit then did a complete overwrite with Mint. He has known only Windows forever but he really likes the Mint install. Very zippy and easy to get used to.

4 Likes

Fedora + XFCE4

I’ve eaten too much pie this week… sorry. :blush:

Cost does begin to add up once you start adding extras. With this case at least you could have a farming rig with an ssd and pi in the same box.

Raspberry Pi 4
Aragon one m2 case (built in m. 2 sata connectors)
M.2. 500gb sata III (or what ever you fancy)
Berryboot - boot manager.

Ubuntu
Kali
Parrot OS
Twister OS
… and anything else that takes your fancy.

The Berryboot software let’s you boot in to any OS you want, and makes the whole disk available to each OS.

Lots of tutorials on YouTube to help you get this setup.

3 Likes

I’ve been fan of Linux Mint since 2008 and I like the MATE version.

3 Likes

Pure Windows 10 is very good OS, problem is with hw vendors, that preinstall lot of bloatware in it. I always do clean install on my machines and it helps a lot with stability and performance.

From the Linux world I have good experience with Manjaro, it is nothing special but it simply does what I expect from it.

1 Like

Been a windows user forever. Not sure “pure” and “Windows” should ever be used in the same sentence. There was a reason the precursor of Windows, and the OS every version since has maintained a relationship with, was called qdos (Quick and Dirty OS). Building on a tricky foundation is always a tough task.

2 Likes

I decided go give Mint a try again and Chrome is bricking the system within 5 minutes of starting it.

Do any Mint users know the fix. I now remember I had this issue before too.

1 Like

Did you try chromium instead? Quite similar IIRC but not with as much spyware. I used to use it but I have been firefox for a few years now.

2 Likes

I’ll give Chromium a try. Firefox is working perfectly so may just stick with it. :smile:

1 Like

Please elaborate. I’ve never heard about such problems.

1 Like

I have seen quite a few discussions about it online. I was under the impression it has been resolved but apparently not.

Odd thing is I have Mint on a old laptop and Chrome works just fine. But I had this issue on my PC with Mint before and I think it is why I got rid of it on here.

1 Like

I dislike pretty much anything that doesn’t come from the regular repositories, like Chrome. In any case, no single program should be able to “brick” the system. That just sounds weird to me.

3 Likes

Full on dead, hold power button down… end of the road.

Where did you get the installation file for Chrome?

Yes… 20 char

Come again? Yes what?

Sorry misread that. Downloaded from google. com/chrome

1 Like

There is a package called google-chrome-stable in the Mint repositories. It doesn’t actually contain Chrome, but calls the installation file from Google, I think. Have you given that a try?

1 Like

I believe so, tried just about everything last time before I bailed. I’ll remove it and try again but thinking about it now, I am not entirely sure why I am fighting with it when working alternatives are available. Habit

2 Likes